Thursday, December 14, 2023

Life: it goes on, and we live it.

I got up in time to make my "first appointment of the day" at the dentist on Tuesday.  I eagerly asked about her experience at the Boston marathon.  My dentist's husband is a runner.  He not only successfully completed the Boston marathon, but he ran Chicago, too, she tells me.  And at the Chicago marathon, he re-qualified for Boston.  He's raising money for charity in the hopes of running New York, too.  Shades of my brother.  Once they run Boston, the bug is there!

Sense of humor photo:  he got into the spirit of holiday races that had trophies made from toys.  And yes, he would wear the antlers.

Talking about races of course stirred up memories of Kevin, but December in general stirs them up.  Old Christmas movies bring them up.  Other people talking of their loved ones who have passed brings them up.  And even a date can bring them up.  Today, Tuesday the 12th of December, was another of the family birthdays.  In this case, my husband's sister Carol.  She's been gone nearly a dozen years now, but when you start remembering folks who have gone on before... you bask in the memories for a while.

After I got home, I got a text message from my older sister.  She'd heard from her surgeon about the timing of her cataract surgery... she has to be there to check in earlier than originally told.  No problem.  Pre-sunrise taxi, at your service, Sis!

We move on to Wednesday.  I woke at 3 a.m.  Gave up before 4 and got myself up.  I had my only trainer workout of the weed due to the shifted appointments.  

No Wednesday sister walk because of brother in law landing back in the hospital by way of the ER on Tuesday evening.  Sis was kind of busy, but she did stop by after picking Benji up from the doggie day care place, so I was able to give her a hug and hand her a package for her holiday.  I still should wrap and ship the one for our North Dakota sister.

Thursday morning I was up similarly early.  I was observant on the drive, pre-dawn, of how much better my night driving vision is.  It's easy to take it for granted, but since I was taking her for cataract surgery, the mind cast back to what the vision was like before last August.

After Sis checked in, I headed over to the other tower to visit BIL, who was doing what most hospital patients do: fighting off boredom and the various monitors that beep at irritating intervals.  It was a light-hearted and amusing visit.  At one point he said he might just lean back and close his eyes, saying he was a "bad host".  "Not your job to entertain me," sez I, "It's your job to get well."  "Working on it," sez he.

To me, BIL seemed pretty much his normal self.  They are working on figuring out just what's up and fixing it.  The body is a complex system of chemical signals... let's get 'em saying the right things to each other!  Mostly we talked about movies, actors, and stuff like that, as we have some shared interests in that area.  Old TV shows flickered on the ever-present screen.  

After about an hour and a half, my phone rang in my pocket.  Elder sis was ready to be taken home, so I took my leave of BIL, retrieved Dexter from the hospital garage, paused at the entrance to get her on board, and drove to her house.  While there I gave her a package for her holiday that matches the one I'd given Alicia the day before.  She had something to eat and we shared tea and conversation.

At noon-thirty, her friend Jerry brought in Arby's sandwiches, and we handed over "watcher" duties to him.  I came home and nodded off in front of the TV for a while, and am due to head back for the overnight shift.   

So, yeah, that's my week so far. 

Life is good!  Spark on.

14 comments:

  1. This holiday season has taken so much out of me emotionally. I know this is hard for you as well, but we think of the happy times of our loved ones.

    How wonderful of you to take care of your sister. I wish a speedy recovery for both your sister and BIL.

    Enjoy your day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((( BIG HUGS ))) back! I have got several wonderful hugs over the course of the past couple of days... that's the one thing that's been missing in pandemic times. We are a hugging family, and we really let loose this week!

      I'm home now (Friday) after taking the overnight shift and seeing big sis to her patch removal appointment. She's seeing 20/20 out of the "new eye", and has her instructions for after care. It's been fun waiting on her, but she's clear to watch herself now.

      Hope the emotions settle on you gently, and you accept that missing loved ones, or even anticipating missing them is just another flavor of love. And worth the heartache, for what would we do without love?

      Delete
  2. ❤️ and thank you ~Ace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've had some busy days! Tell Ace and her man I hope all is well. We texted a bit last week. I hope you other sister likes her newly minted vision. Lots going on here; the project I work on got some big boosts the other day, although I don't think I was directly involved. I investigate records and create genealogical family profiles on WikiTree for the US Black Heritage Project. I find it fascinating, DH gets bored by my discoveries.

    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/descendants-black-civil-war-heroes-wear-heritage-pride-180983397

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy lady all the way around. Huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is indeed a time when many memories are coming to the surface of our loved ones gone. Bittersweet. LOThat is so fun running w/the antlers!

    So sorry to hear about BIL’s hospitalization. It’s ALWAYS tough, but especially this time of the year. That’s great that you were able to visit him while you waited for your sis. That must have relieved some of his boredom.

    Happy to hear that your pre-dawn taxi service went well. Bonus points that the vision is better after your cataract surgery. Yeah!

    You were due a nap after dropping your sis off! Hope she’s recuperating well after her cataract surgery.

    HOPE it’s a peaceful weekend and that BIL gets to feeling better!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is indeed recuperating well. Patch came off on Friday morning, and she has her marching orders. I cleaned out the litter boxes for her before coming home, since she is NOT supposed to be bending over for the next couple of days. I told her she can call me if anything needs lifting (over 10 pounds) or bending over for. But knowing her, I doubt I'll get a call. She's inventive at workarounds that don't break "the rules".

      Hope you have a good weekend!

      Delete
  6. Yep, my sisters are great helpers in time of need. Monday morning before the sun rises I'm going for my third surgery related to my bladder cancel battle. The one of three sisters that still lives in the same town will be going with my spouse & I for a needed extra set of eyes and ears.

    We are doing our siblings family gathering Sunday afternoon and will get to meet our latest grand-niece, born in September. Our brother is unable to attend this year since he started working again, at 77, with two weekdays off and one sister needs negative results on her recent second bout with Covid this year (she had shots & boosters).

    We put up minimal decorations this year with the help of a god-daughter, honorary niece, who has been working with me to declutter, downsize and organize several lifetimes of 'stuff' -- ours, my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents.

    Our extremely warm weather here in Central Texas has our plants confused. An Amaryllis bud is about to open. This usually occurs in the Spring, around Easter. Wildflower seeds sown for the Spring, have sprouted and are several inches above the ground. Sure hope our first freeeze doesn't wipe them out.

    Blessings for a healthy Christmas season.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plants, animals, and humans are all confused by unusual weather! So glad you have siblings and your god-daughter near enough to visit and share. This is part of what family do for each other!

      Delete
  7. Good grief, Charlie Brown, how did I miss this post?!?! It's a blessing that you can, and are, there for your sister. Two family members in the hospital at the same time. Ooff! You have earned those wings!
    Improved night vision is the greatest benefit, (IMHO) that seems to generate the most conversations about cataract surgery.
    Now on to the next post to leave a belated comment there, too. I already know that sis, and you, survived the surgery. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That happens (missing postings) when we have our regular lives disrupted, doesn't it? I agree about the improved night vision. The other bit that is common came up in a conversation with her eye doctor. He said that he had heard this brought up over and over by patients but didn't really understand it until he underwent cataract surgery himself: the yellow cast of the untreated eye, and how bright everything is, and how white the whites are after.

      Hugs and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. After my chiro appointment Tuesday morning, I guess the releasing of tension from my neck, had me sobbing on the drive home, thinking of everyone who left in December and then thinking of my mom, of course, made it worse.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes letting those tears fall helps wash it out! Grief has no pre-determined schedule. ((( hugs )))

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...