Sunday, December 31, 2023

Happy New Year's Eve again

 

December 30th Pebble Jar

I used this photo in the blog I posted Saturday, too.  One pebble day left in 2023!  The center jar about to topple over into the overflow dish.  Christmas decor has not yet been taken down and put away.

Blog of last year's resolutions/plans/goals.

The link is just for those who feel the need to find the source document.  Last year's resolutions were:

  • Read at least 12 books.
  • Re-start the de-stuffing process on the house.
  • Get in touch with old friends I hadn't seen in a while.
The only one I consider an unqualified success is the first.  The de-stuffing?  I did get rid of a few things but I really did not re-start the process or re-do any rooms.  The get in touch with old friends:  I made a couple of weak efforts but "life gets in the way".  Between a couple of illnesses, a couple of weeks of dog-sitting, the cataract surgery... I kind of ran out of social steam.

So, what do I want for 2024 goals?

  • Read 15 books.  Get myself in person to a library and get my library card renewed (it expired during the pandemic).  And start enjoying the kind of books that I remember!
  • Archeological dig of the papers in the house.  It's been getting away from me, and it's time I prioritized it again.  
  • Make use of the "broth bombs" I got for Christmas, creative cooking of soups.  Seems like a great way to get through the winter and combine a healthier eating regimen with it.

I'm tempted to try the classic Alicia challenge of 1 mile outdoors every day in January.  I did sign up for the food tracking challenge for January on Cronometer.  I don't consider either of those "resolutions".  At this point they may just be "wishes".

December 31st, 2023

It's time to rebuild the Pebble Jar setup!

As I tried to carefully place the last pebble into the central jar on New Year's Eve day, it caused the predictable chain cascade as not one, but three pebbles fell into the "catch" pot.  Only they didn't... they bounced off the side board onto the floor, and one of them I had a devil of a time finding.  It had bounced all the way out of the room to land on the carpet in the parlor!

Then I had to go find the "leap pebble".  I have one blue pebble that I add to the green ones to represent leap day.  February little jar is blue.

All ready for 2024.

Deeming myself to be socially spent, I waved off going to the New Year's Eve supper at the Chinese restaurant with the Pandemic Five.  I just need a couple of down days to rub together.

Life is good.

Spark on!


12 comments:

  1. Speaking of books. This morning I ordered "Remarkably Bright Creatures" after reading the review. The sales have been so strong they have postponed publishing the paperback until 2025.

    I, too, continue with Swedish Death Cleaning. It's such a huge job. Ugh!

    DGD and I have played hours of cards. Last night we started Monopoly. Tonight, we are watching CNN at Times Square. It's only 8pm and I wonder if I'll make to midnight.

    Tonight, I'm sure you are missed by your family, but you have to take care of you. Enjoy the quiet evening.

    Wishing you a sparkling new year! 🎇🎉🤗💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the huge job of Swedish Death Cleaning! I did not make it to midnight, the family posted "would have been more fun with you" but I'm glad I preserved the energy!

      Wishing you a wonderful 2024.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year my friend! No resolutions for me just going to keep plodding along with my daily routines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that jar is FULL! And I see your snowman. Love that!

    Good luck w/the paper archeology. It’s a constant process.

    Ah yes, the leap pebble. In 2024 we have one extra day to ‘get it right!’

    Hope you had a nice, restorative New Years Eve. It was just DH, Miss Lilly and I so nice and quiet. And with a fire in the fireplace, nice and warm.

    Happy New Year!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that term: "restorative" New Year's Eve. Take a breath before diving in to anything new. Awesome!

      Happy 2024 to you and yours!

      Delete
  4. Here are wishes for you and yours for a wonderful year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those same warm wishes are sent your way, too!

      Delete
  5. I was excited to see 29 days in February this year. As a kid I would say it would be my wedding day, “some” day… then i grew up lol
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An extra day! Hooray! May the whole year be a healthy one for us all!

      BTW, Leap Day is kind of magical. My older sister's father in law was born on February 29th, so when it rolled around each Leap Year he would declare that this was only his "Xth" birthday (16th, for example, when he'd lived 64 years).

      Could shorten a marriage, or keep it fresher... magic working both ways! LOL!

      Delete
  6. I wish you nothing but the best for this year, my friend

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same warm wishes for you and yours in this brand New Year! (( big hugs ))

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...