Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Fence is done and dusted - Jazz in June finally!

I headed out to the trainer session on Tuesday noonish.  When I came back, the contractors were all gone, and the fence was done!  There is still a lot to do inside the fence for me, but for now... peace in the neighborhood.  The masonry guys next door are still at work on their project.

Here's where the new fence abuts the old, at the gate.  The gate hinge connects the two.  I only use this gate as an emergency exit, since it opens into the neighbor's yard.  



If this next photo unnerves you, you might have been pandemic affected!  Jazz in June is a local tradition, an outdoor concert every Tuesday evening in June.  As you might have gathered from the past couple of weeks' blogs, it's been rescheduled or moved indoors the first two weeks, and I bowed out of that option.  As is, people sit, converse, eat food from food vendors who park their trucks nearby, and chill to whatever group is playing that night.  

Our party was seated on our camp chairs about 8 feet behind these folks, also in the shade of old Architecture Hall.  In front is the art gallery's sculpture garden, where the musicians were set up for Jazz in June. 

This is our little group, going from front to rear you see:  Lacey (son's fiancΓ©), her dad, me, her mom, and an extra friend of theirs... the empty chair they joke would be my son, ducking the cameras... but in fact, he has an online zoom class that conflicts.  Weather was nice, cooling off as the evening progressed.

When I got home, the neighbors across the street were out enjoying the evening on their porch, including mom and newborn (now a month old).  I was not going to get too close, as I'd been around quite a few different people recently, but I did step across the street and we visited.  I was introduced to the little king (Mir_____, I still have not adjusted to the names in Uzbek, but I asked the mom what the meaning of the name was and she said it means a king... so to calm my mind, I think of him that way for now.)

Newborns are so precious!  Anyway, I told her about the geese, but I didn't have the printed photo with me at the time.  But now I know it's a little boy!

Wednesday, I'm ready for a day of quiet!  It won't be completely quiet, as Wednesday is sister walk day, but I'm kind of done in by the crowd thing Tuesday evening.  I don't know if I'll go again next week... I have myself down as a "maybe" in my mind.  Because before then, I have the trainer on Thursday, a kayak date slated for Sunday morning, and the Mellerdrama for Sunday afternoon.  I might just be out of peopling energy by the end of Sunday, and today being a quiet day just what the inner soul needs!

Here's hoping you're listening to your own inner needs and taking steps to satisfy them.  Self-care is important so we are able to engage in "other care"!

Life is good!  Keep on Sparking!

πŸ”₯✨πŸ’–




12 comments:

  1. Our weather has been nuts today. Thunder and lightning with no rain, it’s the creepiest thing. I just read an article on my LA Times app about a woman and 2 dogs getting struck by lightning and perished πŸ˜– I am petrified by lightning. Petrified.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom used to refer to this phenomenon as "heat lightning"... lightning and thunder, but no relieving rain! And so sorry about the woman and her dogs. We are having a cooling down, but still Summery day here. It was cloudy this morning, but cleared off. I totally mud-caked my "good" sneakers by trying to clean up out by the new fence... oh, well!

      Hope you're well, and avoiding the lightning. Not good to be petrified, Dee!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the finished fence! It really looks nice. The sacrifice of the "good" shoes, IMHO, surely was worth it.

    The concert sounds like a good time for all. Nice size crowd, but not too big, at least from the looks of the photos.

    That geese photo was priceless. The geese were probably welcoming the new "king". You must share a copy with the new parents.

    I thought of you this morning when I read the following headline:
    "6,000 Bees Removed from Inside Wall of Omaha Couple's Home"
    A beekeeper's dream...maybe.

    Healthy food prep day. Cleaning fruits and vegetable takes soooo much time. Pooped, from mostly standing at the counters, but not moving too much.

    Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm smiling because I heard a similar story about bees in a 3 story house's walls, down the road here... it was right in this town. Heard it from my fence guys, who had worked on the house. They had a beekeeper take the bees off to new homes.

      Delete
  3. Fun! I enjoy those outdoor concerts and it's time to go to one. We did our first indoor theatre the other day with the kids and enjoyed Top Gun Maverick. Fancy seats that interacted with the movie for life-like adventure.
    Today's outing was to a small lavender farm and then lunch. We're getting back to peopling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top Gun Maverick seems to be drawing people back into theaters, for sure. The fence guy took his kids, and they drove up to Omaha to see it in IMAX.

      It seems like themes crop up... my kayaking buddy was talking about her visit to a lavendar farm as we paddled last Sunday morning!

      Yes, bit by bit... back to peopling! Which is good.

      Delete
  4. How exciting to go out to a concert and enjoy it. We've been to the theater a few times with no problems. It's good to get out and do things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Looking forward to Sunday afternoon, when my brother in law will be treading the boards as a minor character in his own Mellerdrama, The Rustlers of Red Rock, at a nearby state park. His wife, my kid sis, has declared that day as the family outing, and a whole bunch of us are going. Indoors, no less!

      Delete
  5. Yes, us too we are slowly getting out again. Between Mom and Covid we have pretty much been hermits but finding that with a little push we are doing things again. The fence looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like most everyone has similar stories of dipping our toes back into community life. It's kind of like waking after a long sleep, eh?

      Delete
  6. That’s a cute name for the little man … translating to King.

    Here’s to a good Thursday!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course if we named our sons "Rex" we would be naming them something that translates to "King" as well. "Regina" to "Queen", etc. Names do have meanings, often of our wishes for the child's bright future... Alice has "truth". However, the kindest one I ever found for Barbara was "beautiful stranger" because the others all had to do with being "barbarian", i.e. uncivilized, and I'm not sure that's what I would have wanted for my own future. Still, it might be true? LOL!

      Have a great Thursday, my fellow "barb"!

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...