Tuesday, June 14, 2022

It's HOT out there

My local weather dude tells me Monday's high got to 103℉.  I believe it, as I just walked down the driveway to the mailbox Monday afternoon.  HOT!

In other news, the fence guy got back to me with the refreshed estimate.  He did not split it out the way I wanted him to.  Sigh.  But I did some arithmetic and gave my neighbor the numbers.  Whatever he decides to contribute to the project is fine by me.  

Then suddenly, on Tuesday morning, after I was back from looking in on my sister's kitties, I heard power tools whirring.  Checked the great outdoors and discovered they are making progress taking the old fence down!

The gents will haul off the old fence parts and Jake said he might even get the fence posts set later today.  This turned out not to be the case as it got closer to high noon and I was leaving for my workout.

I came back after the workout to find that the old posts except for the corner post have been extracted.


You're seeing the neighbor's yard here... where you would normally see the fence!

My yard feels naked and exposed.  Tomorrow Jake the fence guy says he will be back to set the new posts.


Meantime, my son let me know his hybrid truck finally made it to the local dealer.  I'm thrilled, but probably won't get to see it for a while, as he is in Summer session at the university, so has projects and Zoom classes and all that as well as the paperwork on picking up said truck.  I imagine he'll have that truck for a while, though, so it's no big worry if his mom doesn't see it right on day one!

Final bit for the Tuesday update... it was supposed to be Jazz in June night, but they have moved the concert into a theater due to predicted storms.  Sigh.  My DIL to be said she doesn't usually go to them indoors, it loses the ambiance of the outdoor concert, and she's felt that way even before the pandemic made folks nervous about indoor events.  So, here we go again:  "better luck next week"?

Here's hoping my fellow Spark refugees (or are we now emigrés?) are remembering to hydrate if you're in heat like me!  Get your activity in during cooler hours of the day, too.  I remember my mom talking about some days being "too hot to eat"... so in some ways that's a blessing?

At the end of the day, let it all go and enjoy a well-deserved night's rest!  You have done what you can, and that is enough!

Life is good.  Spark on!🔥✨💖

10 comments:

  1. Happy new fence to you, whatever you decide. Yikes 103? We've had perfect summer days and nights for a few, and yes, I hydrate!
    My SIL2's mother came here from England to visit so they've had great days to take her around. Yesterday we walked Princeton and today they took her to the Jersey shore. It's been fun and tiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we broke the record on Monday. Glad you got good weather for your visitor. Princeton campus is a lovely place to walk... I have a funny Princeton story from back when my son was a baby. It's funny because everybody ended up OK. We were driving through Princeton, and a lady up and opened the door and go into the backseat, right next to our baby! She wanted a ride to the other side of town. OMG, see what happens when you don't lock your doors?

      Anyway, Charles, always the gentleman, detected that she was a tad "off" and delivered her to her destination, then we went on our way.

      Enjoy your rest, and I have to admit I'm jealous of your proximity to the shore!

      Delete
  2. Your naked and exposed yard will soon be a thing of beauty. The finished project will be admired by all your followers. Surely, you will post photos?!?

    You are truly blessed to be able to find workers who are willing to work. I've been trying to get new gutters installed and a small electrical repair job done since mid March. The stock answer is "next week". I understand that the work can't be done in the pouring rain or when it's storming, and we've had plenty of those days. The weather puts them behind and causes me to be grumpy. "sigh"

    Excessive heat warnings for our area, among the million others who are baking, too. I went outside to mow a little before 6 tonight. It was actually bearable. I was able to stay in the areas that were then out of the direct sun and there was a nice breeze. I mowed until a little after 8 and got more finished than I would have thought. I think this will be the mowing plan for the remainder of the summer.

    Your posts cause me to be a chatter box when I respond. Sorry.
    Have a pleasant evening and a wonderful tomorrow. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to be sorry... it's like getting letters from friends. I LOVE the comments, the long ones tell me what's happening in YOUR life! Overnight I hear there were tornado sirens blowing, but I slept through it, and when I got up to go to the bathroom, saw a text from my sister that she got home in time to hear them. Hope they didn't get hail up by my son's house as that new truck is parked outside!

      Delete
  3. Yes, it was hot over the weekend here. We're have a cool down for a couple of days, but then back into the high temps again.

    Your yard will be beautiful in no time. It's a lot of work, but will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wednesday (today) is our cool down day. High only in the mid-80's they say. Then it's back into the oven. We're better off than my cousin up in Bozeman, MT. Her drive to work has been washed away (she works down in Gardiner)... but she, her significant other, and their pets are all safe at home, if more isolated than before the flooding.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I can understand feeling so open to the world. I know it will look so good when done. We are so so when it comes to the heat, hoping it will keep that way until we get this move done. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, but I had this same feeling of expansiveness the last time I replaced that back fence. It's different this time as I had not replaced the fence between me and my neighbor back then. The neighbor gal was out in the yard for a couple minutes while I was and we commented to one another about it. Still... "good fences make good neighbors" remains a standard saying. For me, it's "good fences keep Carl in the right yard".

      Delete
  5. I get “too hot to eat”, then somehow want to inhale everything in sight after sun down 😔
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes on those days, we had a walk to Dairy Queen for Supper. And that was before Dairy Queen served anything other than ice cream.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...