Sunday, June 19, 2022

Happy Father's Day weekend

Even though the fence guy said he did not work on weekends, he texted me that he was thinking of picking up the stringers and the pickets on Saturday morning, could he store them in my garage?  Of course I said yes.

We should be set for Monday morning to start putting the skin on those posts!

He brought his young daughter with him.  She, at this point in her young life, thinks she wants to work for dad!  She helped unload the boards from the truck and stack them in my pile.  She would do one board at a time.  I helped out a bit with two or three.  Daddio picked up ten or twelve at a time!  He tells me he used to work in the financial industry, and in the five years since he started doing this small business, he's dropped 45 pounds, just from the change from sedentary to hard manual labor!

Sunday morning, it was time to go kayaking again.  This time the booked time of 9 a.m. was not altered by the weather, and we set off in the other direction, into the backwaters on the eastern edge of the lake.

A couple of mama ducks at various points of the backwaters led their individual phalanx(es) of ducklings... so cute.

When we got out into the less sheltered part of the lake, we had some wind chop and it was fun.  Just enough and not too much.

Then we went to visit the lily pads, because they are behaving differently than we expected, with some leaves rolling up and extending above the water's surface.  I think keeping an eye on them as the season progresses might be a fun sub-plot for the Summer.

We followed Geri's plan of rounding the sail boat race buoys throughout the course of our hour-long paddle.  

After getting back ashore, I found an old co-worker had brought his family out to the lake and rented kayaks same time!  Dick and I had actually retired the same day.  He's still running and in fact did the short course 3K Charity run, same day was my son and his fiancΓ© did, earlier in the month.

Here's hoping that your weekend is progressing smoothly and happily, that you're avoiding any stressful weather and staying safe and healthy!  We're in the heat here, so going early for activity was the plan.  Hydration is essential, too.  And keeping cool for the warmest parts of the day.

Life is good.  Spark on!

πŸ”₯✨πŸ’–


10 comments:

  1. It'll be exciting getting the fence done.

    That was a peaceful kayaking trip you had. A bonus running into an old co-worker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be glad when they get it cleaned up back there and I can plant my clover seed... right now it's a right mess! I can see where the water runs down and washes things up against that fence.

      Delete
  2. Whether or not she works for dad in the future, taking her with him now, in the present, is a great lesson for her. And an added bonus, the magical memories they are making together. Priceless!!

    The lake looks sooo peaceful! A nice place to be on a quiet Sunday morning. As you keep an eye on those lily pads, may I request a photo or two, if that's possible?

    Have a super week. Sparkle on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to get photos of the lily pads while I'm floating, because of where in the lake they sit (at a narrow point) and how the kayak drifts with the current. I got one leaf a week ago, to show how the water puddles on top of the leaf, but I will maybe meander over and see if I can get a shot from shore.

      I agree with the dad-daughter memories. My dad used to take me to work when he would put in extra time on the weekends, and I got to see all sorts of things. I got to see the small town newspaper's printing presses... that was impressive, how they set up the type "backwards", etc. And of course the darkroom where dad used smelly chemicals to turn negatives into prints. Amazing what we no longer have to do to get our words a pictures out to the world!

      Keep Sparkin'!

      Delete
  3. I am impressed they are building it on site, board by board. Colleen had her fence put up in sections.
    Kayaking looks so soothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last time I had this done (15 years ago, I'm thinking)... they also built it board by board. Different outfit, but still, hard manual labor!

      Delete
  4. I bet the fencing guy enjoys his work outside instead of behind the desk too. There is a lot to be said for manual work. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have known many people who started out in one career and made a change mid-life. Most everyone who did was happy, as they learned during the first portion what they really wanted out of life. It's gone both directions. In some cases a fellow was injured or felt he was getting "too old" for the manual stuff, and started exploring a way to use his practical knowledge in building more abstract systems (computer programs).

      In other cases they moved in the other direction, finding they were not suited for the indoor hours!

      This guy seems very happy with his choice!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Your fence builder has upped the health ante w/his weight loss! Nice.

    Sounds like your kayaking was wonderful. Glad the weather cooperated. And what a bonus to meet your former co-worker!

    Definitely have to pay attention to hydration as we’ll be in the 90’s the next 2 days.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete

Mother's Day

  My daughter in law spent Mother's Day with her mom and sent her husband (my son) over to spend some time with me!  He brought Carl alo...