Thursday, June 23, 2022

Next steps... encouraging clover

 It's Summer time, but we're getting a break from the most oppressive heat today.  I got out early to rake and spread clover seed, to untangle the hose that had been sitting the garage for a couple of years, hook it up and give the seeds a bit of a drink.  It's supposed to rain (well, it has a 60% chance, per the weather man) so I didn't soak it for long.  All before breakfast!

I tried to rake it up a bit so the seed might "take" better.  It must touch the ground to sprout.  I can't believe they have to put that in the directions, having grown up around farming... but they do!

I was considering how I might carefully open the thin plastic bag in which the ten pounds of clover seed came, but discovered it had acquired a tiny rip all by itself and was leaking out.  I just used the leak to spread it around.

It's not as well prepped as I might like, but it's what I had time for this morning!



Unraveling that long hose is a brain and muscles exercise.  It stretches all the way to that fence corner.

Then I came in to clean up and cook my oats for breakfast, with blueberries and cinnamon.  I still have the trainer ahead at noonish.  And then "poof" it will be almost the weekend!  Weeks go fast when you fill them up with activity.

Wednesday's sister walk brought out new information:  she had some Sunday mantinee tickets extra, and I'd already bought mine, so offered the spares to the mythical son, his fiancΓ©, and her parents, and they thought it sounded like great fun to toss popcorn at the villian.  It will turn into "family and friends" day at the theater, although there's one former BIL who will miss it due to the lady in his life coming down with Covid.  Welcome to the world we live in nowadays.

Here's hoping a Thankful Thursday to us all, as we strive to maintain healthy habits!

Life is good.  Spark on!

πŸ”₯✨πŸ’–

14 comments:

  1. Enjoy!
    When we went to see Top Gun, we were surprised to find our family was seated next to friends we'd not seen in a few years. It was multiply fun.
    Hoses...yuck. I've got regulars, pocket hoses and something in between. Pocket types are great for their collapsibility and avoidance of tangles but they don't last long. I have a horrible time tying to roll up the traditional hoses. I've one that's in between these styles that does not collapse and is soft and durable but it tangles into knots if you simply look at it!
    When I told my BIL you were seeding clover, he volunteered to send you his backyard. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had responded to this comment already... I was laughing as I typed! So, is this because your BIL loves clover, or is he trying to send me more...?

      What a great time at the movies!

      Delete
  2. Years ago, while we were living in town community, my neighbors were not happy when they learned I had seeded clover. I'm a huge fan. It grows low and compact and is a boon to the bee population. When we moved out here over 25 years ago, I seeded quite heavily. Now it reseeds itself.

    I'm also a fan of the pocket hoses. We have 2. Our "yard" consists of acres and the pocket hoses make any job much easier.

    Have a great time at the movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me go order a pocket hose. My son and his fiance have one, and it works great for them. I'm thinking it might work better especially in the back.

      I like clover for the same reasons, I've been encouraging it for several years, letting it naturally seed itself and spread from a few little patches. Now, with that newly rototilled patch of yard, it makes sense to me... low maintenance!

      Delete
  3. I find it odd that despite the heat I’ve been craving the warm oatmeal for breakfast. I do eat it before the heat is at full force though.
    Your hoses remind me of the battle ropes at the gym that I’m tempted to pick up, but know I can’t commit to moving for more than a minute before needing a break πŸ₯΅
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes... similar, but not as heavy as the battle ropes!

      Delete
    2. Hence the use of one minute at a time 😁

      Delete
    3. LOL!
      Makes perfect sense to me!

      Delete
  4. I'm forever fighting with our hose. I thought about getting one of the stretchy ones that snap back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ordered one of those... will let you know how I like it after I get it.

      Delete
  5. If anyone can put knots in hoses it is me and without even trying and even more so when I am trying to straighten it. Yup, there are a lot of instructions that I don't believe are needed but yes they are. The clover is going to be such great cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I pay attention, the puzzle isn't bad. But when you haul it in and out of the garage with its coils intact, it's easy to get them tangled!

      Delete
  6. You got a lot accomplished! Good job.

    Have fun @ the matinee! Sounds life family fun!

    Sorry to hear that your one BIL’s wife has Covid. Just making the rounds.

    Enjoy!

    Hugs
    barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Making the rounds" as we hope and pray it becomes milder and endemic. It keeps getting "closer to home" for me, but it started out fairly close with a cousin being hit in Round 1, before there were ever vaccines. He survived, and managed not to infect his wife or kids, but from the photos it looked like it too 30 pounds off his frame!

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...