Saturday, October 12, 2024

Thanksgiving Season begins

One thing I neglected to mention about Friday morning what's the smoke. There was a fire to the South and west of me, maybe six or seven miles away.  The smoke was so thick before sunrise, it was as though the whole neighborhood it started up their charcoal grills.  

The reason I mention it now is that Saturday morning I woke with phlegm on the cloudy side.  I think I breathed too much of that Smoky air before it cleared off.  It got better as the day wore on, but Sunday morning, still seeing a less-than-ideal nasal discharge.

As a result, I kept the weekend pretty quiet.  Ember and I did a morning walk on both Saturday and Sunday, and a trip to the dog park between puppy naps #1 and #2 each day, too.  I did dash out to get groceries, as well.

Here's Ember, sunning herself on a cool and breezy Sunday afternoon shortly before I tucked her in for puppy nap #2 of the day.

Monday morning as I type, and it is Thanksgiving Day in Canada and some other nations around the globe.  Traditionally, I post gratitude every day between Canada's Thanksgiving Day and the US Version.  This year that will be 45 days this year.  I am no longer restricting myself to no duplicates, as that's too much keeping track for me.  I am also going to do a little projection this year, not just what I'm grateful for, but what I think Ember and The Prisoner might be thankful for.

I promised the family that Day 1 (Today) my gratitude would be for the kindness of strangers.  Specifically for all those strangers that come to my rescue when I am out and about with Ember and she goes into her "no legs" routine, refusing to get back in the car for the trip home.

Sunday when she did this at the dog park, a very fit young man was walking a tiny dog back to his own car, and he volunteered not just to hold the leash for me to lure her.  "I can just pick her up and put her in," he declared.  Most of my helpers of late had been older, like me, and having them hold her leash while I tempted her from the other side of the car had become my go-to strategy.  This young dude schlepped her up, same as my son does, and into the back seat she went, quite happy with her reward (being picked up is apparently a reward).

People are awesome!  I am grateful for every parent, schoolteacher, store owner, pastor, mentor, etc. who helps children develop into kind and respectful young people who are ready to take their place in adult society.  Kindness rules!  For this, I am thankful.

Life is Good.  Spark on!


6 comments:

  1. I am grateful that I found this post. You have been MIA. Blogspot gremlins. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading your comment, I went and looked at the "published" date/time on the post and even though I actually pressed publish on Monday, it's dated as though it was published Friday. That might explain why it went missing. I started the post with weekend news in it on Friday, but accumulated and edited clear 'til Monday!

      Delete
  2. That's awesome that young man just picked Ember up and deposited her in the car! There are good people in this world and it's so nice to recognize their efforts!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminds me of my "running friends" who are a generation down from me. I still hold fast that most people are good or want to be, and given the chance to do so will "do a good deed".

      Delete
  3. Me too, although the news covers the bad, there are way more many wonderful people than we realize. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good reason to limit our exposure to that "news" that really only seeks to upset us and lure us into obsession!

      Delete

Day 2: today I am grateful

  Today I am thankful the peace that comes from the fact that Ember does not bark at squirrels.  I can't even take credit for it, even t...