Thursday, September 2, 2021

Thursday's miscellaneous

 

What do you mean I have to get off your lap?

What?  Just because of the clock and an appointment?  You're joking, right?

Nope, sorry, Prisoner, but I'll be working out with the trainer soon, and I have so many things to do:  cook breakfast, toss a load of laundry in, make sure the gym bag is ready...

Speaking of a load of laundry, that would be a

Non-scale victory, or depending on level of fancy - a giggle point!

What turns a load of laundry into a giggle point?  The realization that in the past two weeks, I had accumulated a full load of "Megan wear" to wash!

Family members will recognize the term "Megan wear", perhaps, but for the Spark refugees among you, I don't think I've ever referenced Megan wear in my blogs.  Megan is my niece, the elder daughter of sister #1.  She grew up working in retail fashion, but also was a very active young woman.  But she had trouble finding fitness wear that fit her body.

So she used her connections and learned work skills to design fitness wear that would fit her and her cheerleading / fitness instructor friends.  Fit and support.  Anyway, it was a huge giggle point for me, when I finally shrank down to the point where I would fit into her line of active wear!  Her clothing line was marketed on line, and I started buying from her.  

All of her line was made from moisture wicking high-tech fabric.  It was sturdy (supporting the girls well, ladies).  And it lasts for-ever, or so it seems.  I mean, I'm still wearing the items I first bought... what, eleven years ago?  

As time wore on, I started drifting to buy from other vendors.  And of course I got a lot of "tech" shirts and shorts and such from the events I participated in from 2011 to 2017.  I had some of them made into a memory quilt, but tech fabrics don't do well as quilts, just saying.  So at this point, half my closet is full of these beauties.  But in my mind, they are all "Megan wear", at least when it comes to doing laundry.  There are rules to protect that fabric and preserve its properties.

The year leading up to retirement, the start of retirement, then leading up to and after my brother's passing, and during the pandemic, the pounds started and then continued to creep back on, like a series of rising steppes.  The tech gear was still there in the closet, but it didn't fit as well.  I felt that I looked like a stuffed sausage when I would put it on for a progress photo.

Progress photos, this one June 2021
I started wearing them again as Summer came on this year.  I was working out more.  I started jogging intervals, when I had dropped a few of those pounds, and I wanted that sweat-wicking property.  I started wearing them to the gym, for my workouts with the trainer.  I sweat a lot there, too. 

Prior to about June this year, I was wearing some very generous sized stuff I'd bought on line, not this tech fabric, when I went to strength train.  It didn't really hide the fat rolls, but at least the skin wasn't showing!

Today's giggle point was that I had filled a load between the trainer workouts and the interval training run/walks, in less than two weeks.  Four shirts, three tech shorts or capris, two headbands, and six (count 'em, six) sports bras.  All Summer gear... and my brain starts to chuckle... just wait to you see how fast I can fill up a load during Winter running season!

Today, I'm decked out in gear I "borrowed" from Kevin's closet, the week after he passed, to Run Cobbs Hill with his running buddies, in his memory, July, 2019.  I had to go look... I was about ten pounds heavier then than I am this morning.

I'm the one in the neon shirt... I can see those ten pounds!

I promised a selfie when the new eyewear arrived.

Two weeks later, the new glasses are in, as promised.  So selfies.

The weird thing about selfies taken by the computer's camera is that I have to tilt either my head or the screen to get rid of the glare off the lenses!

I always seem to look to myself as though I'm "making faces". What I'm really trying to do is avoid the big blue screen reflections!

The point was to show off the new frames... and that they don't appear crooked on my face, like the old ones did!  Or maybe they are the same level of crooked, and I'm just typically critical of how I look at pictures of myself!  I'm the only one who does that, right?

The Pep Talk

Enough! Let's get out there and LIVE, best can do, the remainder of this one and only Thursday, September 2, 2021 we'll ever get!  Let's face the challenges set before us, and remember to nurture ourselves, body, mind and spirit!  Because life is good, and we are worth living it, each and every one of us.  

Spark on!  ✨💖😍




39 comments:

  1. LOVE the Megan wear story! You rock! Keep on filling that laundry basket.

    LOVE the glasses. They look straight on your face.

    Have a good Thursday!

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laundry makes you giggle. Snicker, snicker. Progress can be measured so many ways. BTW, I didn’t see the pounds in the neon. I did notice the hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... that hill is decidedly noticeable, for sure!

      The real victory is the one between the ears that recognizes a growing sense of "I'm happy with this style / amount of eating, and this level of activity". It's the frame of mind that lets go of any sense of a numerical goal and recognizes the approach of a "home" range, like WALKINGANNIE used to talk about, years ago, on Spark.

      Delete
  3. I also enjoyed the Megan Wear story! Must be nice to have talented people around you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, even when they live several states away! The online store was a life-saver for me.

      Delete
  4. Tried some moisture wicking wear but alas didn't work out for me -- I rarely sweat as it is and the wicking dried out my skin and the wicking towel turned my hair to straw. Oh well, oh well.

    Prisoner a pretty cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly: experiment of one... what works for me may not for you. I sweat buckets, so kind of on the essential side for me!

      Delete
  5. Great stories and type glasses look great on you,
    Joan, (hemtech)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is his name really prisoner? We had a cat that we called Princess and she really looked like one. I really felt bad when she passed but we decided that until we were ready to stay home and not travel anymore that we would not have anymore animals. Like the Megan's story. I have so many clothes that are the wicking material that I will never need anymore in this lifetime. Have a great Labor Day Weekend and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's a kitten story. The Prisoner came to me being re-homed from the daughter of a work mate. He was one of a litter birthed by a pregnant cat that was abandoned near her home. Any-hoo, the vet papers from his neutering were labeled "Kitten No. 6". Are you familiar with the old British cult classic, "The Prisoner" starring Patrick McGoohan? In that role, he played a spy who resigned then was drugged and put into a society called "The Village". Everyone in the village was known by number, and McGoohan was "Number 6". Looking at the swagger on this kitten, I could not resist.

      The vet cracks up over his name and the name story every visit!

      Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat with the active wear... I might wear some of it out, and I have had to acquire new sports bras, but those shirts will last forever!

      Delete
  7. I have favorites that are years old and I refuse to part with them. I earned every worn, faded spot and I wear them with pride, much to my family's chagrin.

    The story of the cat's name is very unique...probably like the cat. 😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this one blouse/top that I wore until the thread used to stitch it together and the fabric it was made of started to decay... but eventually I had to let it go. It wasn't active wear, but, it was a favorite, with colorful embroidery around the square neck... ah, love!

      Delete
  8. I love the Megan wear story. I have things that I workout in that are old and I need new ones. I just can't part with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been through a lot with that "lucky shirt", right?

      Delete
  9. Great story about the cat's name! And congrats on you fitting into your workout wear better! And the new glasses! Are they tinted? I need to get some tinted glasses. Is your niece's sportswear company still in business? I'd love to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being the age I am, the glasses are photo-sensitive (darken when in bright light), anti-glare, multifocal, scratch protected, etc.

      I love how the memories associated with those shirts, especially, make me feel. As I once told a trainer, when starting to work out with her, following an injury: My goal is to not lose the awesome!

      Delete
  10. Beware that giant bouncing ball. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one coming down that hill we're running up? Yikes!

      Delete
    2. I think they called it “the Rover”?

      ...and whatever number you are, just make sure it’s not 2!

      😂

      Delete
    3. Oh, the one that chased the Prisoner! Yes, that was called "Rover". I grabbed the incorrect reference, and went to Indiana Jones and the giant boulder coming after him from the Temple of Doom, pairing it with the hill!

      By the way, the kitten I adopted WITH the Prisoner had vet papers labeling her "Kitten Number 2", but she didn't have a number 2 kind of personality, so she got stuck with being named "Patches". She unfortunately died young, and Rubia was adopted a few years later.

      Delete
    4. Poor thing. Doomed, by having been named “#2.”

      Being designated “#2” is like being assigned the Defense of the Dark Arts teacher job, in Harry Potter! 😳

      Delete
    5. Indeed. It's been awesome finding someone from the former Spark community who not only "gets" science fiction, but knows some of the cult classics of my youth.

      Back in the day, I would slink out of my room to watch it with my mother. It was on late (9 p.m. was late). Mom was big on mysteries, and that one had so many unknowns in it! We had ONE black and white TV, and it was some kind of fluke that the series showed on our limited channels... but The Prisoner was must see TV for mom and for me.

      Of course nowadays, I have the complete set of DVDs for the series. And even that is dated. It gets streamed on some odd services, too.

      Delete
  11. Yup, I have to tilt my head to get the shine off the glasses but then I think I just look odd that way, it is a work in progress for taking selfies which is why you see my avatar and not a selfie. Just can't manage a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I figure I'm not alone, and am willing to share the odd, or silly look! One of my FB friends said I looked "intellectual" in the one I posted there... I get my amusement from many sources, and she's one!

      Delete
  12. I LIVE in my version of "Megan ware"
    I saw a documentary about how "activewear has become fashionable and acceptable everyday.

    You are doing great. Glad to see you "on the run" again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And yes "Megan wear" seems to have done just that... gone main stream. But I still only wear it for working out, living in t-shirts and shorts in summer, and jeans in winter, with a sweat-shirt added for warmth. The active wear doesn't do well for just "around the house" for me.

      Delete
  13. That is great that you continue to call your niece's exercise line "Megan wear" and that you can comfortably wear it all again. just read the comment above and you are right about not keeping the comfortable (elastic waist) clothes on all day. A tip from a friend is to always eat meals with non elastic waist pants.
    Love the new glasses and kudos on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and LOL! Sounds as though your friend is an experienced maintainer!🔥

      Delete
  14. Great stories. I wish I could magically remove all my fat rolls around my trunk. You look awesome with your new eyeglasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic sounds awesome, but I find I appreciate what I work for, too! Thanks for liking the glasses... son said they look very much like the last pair... I said they look a whole lot better from the inside! LOL!

      Delete
  15. You have 6 sports bras and instead you show us pictures of your cute glasses and your not wearing a sports bra in either picture . So I think we all want to see the glasses and the sports bra .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrong! I'm wearing a sports bra in ALL the pictures above. I also happen to be wearing a shirt! Which is the only way you'll see my sports bras in a public forum... LOL!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...