Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Today's letting go

 Here are a few things that "let go" all by themselves, and were lying on my deck this morning




From the deck rail, the secondary yellow jacket wasp nest.



From the corner of the roof leading out from the deck door, the main nest, that seems to get rebuilt every year.



Here's the corner where it had been attached.

From August 8, back when that secondary nest was being populated

This morning is for those of us who are fascinated by nature, and the changing of the seasons.  Seems like it is suddenly in that huge transition to Autumn, when the temperatures will swing wildly, the storm fronts will come through, and then later the sun will come out and bake us into the season we call "Indian Summer" out here.

The workout with the trainer (yes, it is Tuesday already!) will be a little later than it was the past couple of weeks, but still not too late, so I did not walk yet, just got out on the deck to smell the season change and feel that breeze.  

I slept later than I had last week, letting the overcast day lull me into continuing some strange dreams.  It was nearly 7 by the time I stepped on the scale, took my meds and started the day.  For those who know this morning gal, you know that's a late start.  But this, too, is part of the transition, in the retirement years.  Hard to believe I'm coming up on four years, come December, since I hung up the work life.

It's been an interesting adjustment.  I had some thoughts about what I wanted to do when I retired, but after trying a few of those efforts, it all came down to learning to just live.  This does not mean letting go of goals, mind you.  It does not mean letting go of healthy habits.  But it does mean not driving as hard.  It means accepting the concept of "enough" in many ways.  Not just enough in terms of eating well.  Enough in terms of activity.  Enough in terms of socializing.  Enough in terms of giving back.  It means relaxing into the day to day of life.

In some ways, it has been learning to live more as my mother did, since most of her adult life she was holding down the home front, as opposed to how my father did.  I lived most of my own adult life as my father did, as bread-winner and career builder.  Mom would have a job now and then, a mini-career.  She would do volunteer work.  And she raised her children (five of us).  She kept the home going.  I never learned that skill set, am only learning it now, in my retirement years!

The pep talk:

Today, as every day, let's get out there and live, best as can do, right where each of us is in this evolution of our individual lives.  Let us seek to accept that the best we can do is enough.

This is the one and only Tuesday, September 14, 2021 we will ever be given.  Live it, accept what the gift is, and Spark on.  Because life is good.✨💖🎇🔥

21 comments:

  1. Idea of enough works for me & reminds me of this poem:

    I wish you enough by Bob Perkins

    I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how grey the day may appear.

    I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more.

    I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.

    I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.

    I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.

    I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

    I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that poem... enough is an awesome thing to have!

      Delete
  2. OH my goodness! That's a lot of wasps! That are cantanquerous creatures!

    Love that poem, too!

    barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have never bothered me, honestly. I leave them be, and they leave me be. And they pollinate my lilies!

      Delete
  3. Amen, and whatever we have or have not done, it is enough. I love being retired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a calm and peaceful existence with just the right amount of “stuff” to do, is something I had trouble achieving when I was working, also. Now it is much easier.

    Love the poem shared by PHOENIX1949 ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly. As retirees, we have more control over what we say "yes" to. With our children grown and on their own, we have more control over what we say "yes" to, as well. It's not just retirement, it's also the empty nest!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. 💗💖💝 Love and live on... and may you feel especially close to God this holiest day.

      Delete
  6. Being Suzy Homemaker was always the highlight of the summer while I was still teaching full time. It’s even better now that I’m retired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get whiplash from vacations and three day weekends, as just as I would hit my stride, it was back to the other way of living! Retirement is "da bomb".

      Delete
  7. I noticed how the weather has changed. The evenings are cold and I even have Scooter in his pj's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adopted your concept of "good enough" many years ago. Mostly in regard to housework. Just live! Still looks like summer here - hot and humid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last summer we had a wasp nest inside our garden area. The blocks that built the garden had small crevices that the wasps dug into. There was a nest under ground. The problem was that this area was close to the pool we had set up fro the grandsons, and with the area pools all closed, they used the pool a lot. Even DH was stung. So we called a pest control person. He sprayed but the wasps continued in another section. DH continued to spray different areas since the grands played out there all the time. As the summer came to an end, we noticed digging in the garden directly above the area where the nest was. What animal would dig a wasp nest? SKUNKS!!! They eat the larvae! So last year, we hired someone to catch skunks living under our shed. 2 were caught and released in the woods. This year, we have caught and released 3 more but still see 3 more on the game cam borrowed from son-in-law. They've gotten smart though and figured how not to get trapped... What now!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear... the skunks eat the wasp larvae, which helps, but... but... then... like you said, "what now?"

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...