Sunday, September 5, 2021

Sunday reveries

 

It's Labor Day weekend

I've already been out to jog my intervals, so I'm high on endorphins as I begin this blog.  Also high on expectations, as the mythical son has mentioned the possibility of a tramp in the dog park with Carl and him.  Not sure when that will happen, so I got the intervals in early.

Then I came home to cook my breakfast and savor both it and a second Spark mug of flavored coffee.

It's Sunday, so there's online church available.  Sunday is also my own "are your bills paid?" check up day.  Sunday for this task is a hangover from the days when I worked Monday to Friday.  Save up the bills and pay them all at once, start the work week with a clean slate.

I was in a frenzied squirrel mood brought on by cooler weather and waning sunlight hours, and went on a shredding spree, clearing out all but the most recently paid bills.  I only do this about once a year, but looking at the volume in the drawer I just cleaned out, looks like I skipped doing it at my normal time this year.  I usually do this when I do the year end taxes.  I had about a year and two thirds of stuff to shred!

The thing about clearing out... it doesn't stay cleared out.  It takes maintenance!  Just like... a healthy lifestyle takes maintenance.  I don't miss Mt. St. Omigawd (© Alicia363) at all!  Remember this?  The photo is a cleaned up / semi-organized version of my own Mt. St. Omigawd East.

November 2018


When I first retired, I was in sad shape as far as being able to just "live" in my house.  The "kids" had moved out in 2007, I think it was, and I had never cleared out the junk they left behind in the basement, where they had lived before and after getting married.

It took several months to get to the point in the photo.  Apparently I didn't publish any photos of it at its worst?  This was very much a "during" the big push to redo the home office and make it functional as an office again (as opposed to a hoarders' storage area).

Things were being donated and given away right and left.  I declared myself in down-sizing and organizing mode.

I burnt out on the project after getting two rooms re-done (and of course, by the time I got the second room done, the pandemic had started, so... not all my fault).  

As I got to the bottom of my stack of things to sort and save or shred today, the phone rang.  Saved by the bell!  It was the mythical son, and he and Carl were on their way over.

Carl: I own the dog park!
Consequently, I did not move on to another pile of paper to deal with, but instead went tramping in the dog park with "the men" (canine and human) who are "on their own" this week.  Son's GF and her mom are off on a girls' trip to visit national parks.  Her dad is home bird-sitting.  Specifically, the ladies are on their way to Montana to see what they can of Glacier National Park.

Awesome!  GF has already posted status from Chimney Rock, in Western Nebraska, then from the Jackalope Capital of the world (in Wyoming)... and I just saw a post from Montana, so they are making good time, as my dad used to say.  

They did post one photo of something "at the hotel", so at least I can tell they are taking some time off the road to sleep.  They left home yesterday morning.  Google maps tells me it's 18 and a half hours of driving from here to GNP.  I feel lucky that I get to peek over their shoulders and see their progress.  I pretty much do the same for my family when I'm on a road trip, mainly because we can!

I had been reading a post from a fellow former Sparker (Valerie) on her blog this morning, and she mentioned the changes in how we travel these days compared to when we were younger, and she got me thinking about all the connectivity that we take so for granted now.  Well said, and she is well prepared for her own upcoming trip!  Travel safe, all of those who are doing so!

It's a little late in the day for a pep talk, but...

Let's finish the day strong!  Whatever your day has been like up until now, pause and take a breath, and treat yourself kindly as you wind down this one and only Sunday, September 5, 2021 we'll ever get.  If you made good decisions, well done!  If you didn't make the best ones, well, tomorrow is a fresh start... no, wait, you can start fresh right now, you don't have to wait for morning!  You're worth taking care of!  We can do this!  👍 Life is good!  Spark on!  ✨💖

25 comments:

  1. Oh yes, declutterig and redoing rooms can get fatiguing real fast! And for sure the pandemic has changed how and when things can ge done.

    Wishing your son's GF and her Mom safe travels.

    Nice that you got time w/the mythical son and Carl!

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was nice... with all the news of late, he was reassuring his mom that he's OK. Good man.

      Delete
  2. Traveling memories. Remember one ringy dingy to say you got there safe? I declutter while watching TV. I put a drawer in my lap and fill a trash can with all the trash that accumulates and then sort and tidy. Things the need to go other places, form piles on the floor. Amazing the stuff you find. DH is the one who hates decluttering. Decisions.

    Dog park looks like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes... one ringy dingy only works when there is only ONE of you out on a road trip at a time, though! You have to have other signals pre-arranged. With three teens in the house, my mom had one tree lamp in the living room, and as each teen got in, he or she was to turn OFF the light in their age position. Eldest the top light, etc. That way, if mom woke in the middle of the night and a light was still shining, she knew who to pray about/check up on!

      You have a system there with the drawer and the trash can!

      Delete
  3. How delightful for GF and her mom to take! I never made it past Bozeman, but had a cousin who lived in Poulson (right up there!!). Very nice of her to keep you updated on the trip, and give you a little one on one time with that son of yours! I do remember your down-sizing projects! Yep, we start great guns, but can't always keep the fervor. I have 2 bags of clothes for the mission that I've been holding because they are for cooler weather, so this week!! So glad you got your intervals done early! Grandsons spent the night, so guess who barely slept! It'll be early for me here and them back at home. Lucky there's no school tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is awesome the relationship this girl and her mom have... and that they can do so many things together in harmony!

      Delete
  4. I've been shredding old files daily for about a week and am just beginning to feel that I see a difference.

    The tree lamp (called a pole lamp here) was a great idea. The house we moved to in the suburbs had 4 bedrooms all on the same side and you passed the parents' on the way to the kids' rooms. Child #4 said she never could figure out how Mom knew what time she got in (we 3 older ones were gone from the house when she became a teen); in later years, when asked, Mom explained the antique clock that chimed on the hour and half-hour let her keep track of the time without getting up.

    When the five of us were dividing things from the parents' house that clock was something child #4 chose and relayed to us the story above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had both a pole lamp and a tree lamp, at various times. Mom explained the difference: the pole of the pole lamp extended to the ceiling. The pole of the tree lamd did not, but ended at the top light.

      Moms have their ways, don't they? Good choice on the part of child #4... a memory to hold in her heart!

      Delete
  5. I see you had a furry helper, in 2018.

    ...or was that one of the things you were trying to organize??? 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She self-selected to be "Organized". I have a snap somewhere of the Prisoner volunteering to be donated by sitting in a box of stuff bound for donation, too.

      Delete
    2. Oh no!

      No. 6 was trying to *escape*?!

      😂😂😂

      Delete
    3. LOL... I hadn't connected it to his name, but yes, he was!

      Delete
  6. Decluttering must be on everyones mind.. I am joining the group :) I want things that go in the china cabinet to be in there and
    my quilts to be back in the cupboard I bought for them.
    Spring is on the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It must be a general "change of seasons" thing. You're doing your Spring cleaning, and over here in the US, we're doing Fall organizing and prep for the cold, dark months to come!

      Summer is on the wane!

      Delete
  7. Fall cleaning and organizing. Getting ready for the holidays, whether we realize it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love a good purge! We did our major one when we moved from the city to the town we are now it. Felt great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? But it leaves me at loose ends! So I was grateful for the call from my son.

      Delete
  9. Seasons change for me and I clean. Be afraid, I didn't clean my carpet this summer!!!! Guess that's today's I love shredding and like you, I have a time set which is usually New Years Day or thereabouts.
    Great to have kid time and I'm glad he's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adult kids are the most awesome gift, aren't they? Yet we're still their moms, and we still think mom-ly thoughts, don't we?

      Delete
  10. Decluttering, so necessary, so exasperating LOL Beautiful photos! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, about the two aspects of decluttering. So many decisions to be made... good to pace oneself! Wishing you a great week ahead, too!

      Delete
  11. Our National Parks are closed, last I checked, because if the fires 😔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite certain they checked ahead for their plans. This is the mom and daughter that had planned to fly to Germany in March of 2020, only to have Covid come in and dash THAT plan!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...