Sunday, September 12, 2021

Triathlon adventures from a different point of view

 

Readers who knew me on SparkPeople already know:

One of my motivating factors for losing weight and staying fit is my love for a sport.  A crazy sport.  One that doesn't scream "old ladies do this", while in fact, yes, some of us do.  Triathlon.

The triathlon is a combination of multiple sports, run in sequence, with one finish line at the end.  First is the swim.  Then a cycling race.  And the athletes finish up with a foot race (run).

Often the swim is in open water.  Today, I was determined to use my "baby kayaking skills" in support of a local triathlon.  Since my personal trainer is the race director of this triathlon, it was an automatic good fit.

I swiped a photo from a triathlete friend who had one from the start line of the swim.

Today's adventure

My friend Gerri, who talked me into trying the kayak to begin with, was also willing to provide support, but like me, she doesn't own a boat.  So I had hit up my son's girlfriend for myself, and last weekend, my son made the strategic error of offering to also lend his kayak to the effort.

I picked up Gerri (figuratively, we drove separate cars) at her place at 6:30 a.m.  The kids were going to meet us at the lake at 7:15 a.m.  It was crowded, and the volunteers ended up directing them (with the boats atop her dad's car) over where we had parked, instead of down to the water.  We fixed that, and got them unloaded in time for us to launch out onto what at the time was a glassy, calm lake, with sunrise pinking up the East.  We noticed that it was dark and cloudy to the West, though, and prayed that we would not get lightning, which of course would result in either a delay or a cancelation of the race.

We strategized with the other kayakers and the fishing boat supporters.  Many of us who provide such support have been triathletes ourselves, at least a few times.  Something I already knew was that working a race as a volunteer gives you an entirely different view of the sport.  

What does a kayak supporter do?  Well, we bob out there on the water, keeping the lines of the course open, kind of herding the swimmers to keep them on course.  We provide a little flotation help, should a swimmer be tired, but we aren't allowed to paddle while they are holding on to our craft.  That would be a form of advantage, and that's a no-no.  

If a swimmer gets off course in spite of the lines of kayaks, one or more of us must chase them down and let them know.  This can be harder than you might think!  Swimmers can be very focused when they are in the water, and getting their attention can be a challenge.  I should have had a whistle, but didn't.  Sigh.  Anyway, one swimmer got herself turned 180 degrees in the wrong direction and had to be chased down probably 100 yards or more.

Toward the end of the swim, the wind was coming up, and I was waaaay out by the third buoy, providing that "round the buoy to the left" instruction.  The wind and waves were pushing me the wrong way, and I was tired.  My son's kayak has the worst back support I have ever dealt with in any of the craft I have navigated!  So by the end of the race, I was practically laying on my back, paddling.  I did make it safely to shore, and we got the two borrowed kayaks pulled up under those trees you see in the photo.

By the time Gerri and I visited the outhouse and started for the finish line (my next anticipated assignment), thunder was rumbling overhead.  This was not in the forecast, by the way, but y'all know how weather is.  Mind of its own.  We were just getting to the finish line when a huge crack of lightning lit up the sky.  I could hear the ham radio operators and the game and parks folks notifying the finish line personnel that they were pulling bikers off the course and sending them in early.  At the finish line, they were directing the returning bikers and runners who were speedy enough to be finishing already into the picnic shelters. 

Gerri and I decided the safest place for us would be back in our cars.  That would leave shelter space for the athletes.  It started raining as we walked.  I got wetter from the rain than I did from the water support.  

Rain on the windshield.
As we walked, we gave it a little more thought.  How about if we were to drive the cars down to where we could see the kayaks?  I had called my son to let him know what was up, and he communicated with his girlfriend, who had gone over to see her parents.  It was going to take them a while to get out to the lake again.  We would not want to leave those kayaks seemingly abandoned next to the shore. 

So that's what we did.  We relocated the cars, and sat inside them, until it started to clear.  Then I got out to take the picture of the white caps.  

Some of the bikers and runners failed to answer the call to stop racing, and finished anyway, after it cleared off.  The kids arrived, about an hour and a half earlier than originally planned, and Gerri and I watched their process of loading:  put on the rooftop rack, the J hooks, then load and tie down the kayaks.  They obviously have had significant practice with this task, but it takes a while.  Thank goodness the rain had stopped by then.

The pep talk

Always have a plan B.  Roll with the punches.  And be grateful for the blessings.  Today I'm grateful the swim portion was over by the time the bad weather rolled in.  I'm grateful for the experience, it was fun.  I learned what I'll do "next time", so that's always a good thing, when I'm already thinking of doing something again!

Look back on this day, and how it went.  Accept it as what was, and allow yourself to know it was enough.  Your choices, those you made to support your health and well-being, they were enough, this one and only Sunday, September 12, 2021 we will ever get.  You may let it go, and get some good rest... you've earned it.  Life is goodSpark on!  ✨πŸ’–πŸŽ‡πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

23 comments:

  1. Too bad Mother Nature was challenging!

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sad for the racers. But it was incredibly fun providing water support!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It does indeed. This is the second race I have been at that got called for weather. The other was the 2019 Heartland Half Marathon... they had started the race (I was doing the 10K which did not get started), and had to go pull runners off the course. What a lot of folks may not think about is how dependent we have become on electronics for timing races... and how water will foul that up!

      Delete
  3. I wonder if the seat back in son’s kayak has the capacity for adjustment? I hope you recover from paddling in that position; it will mean you mostly used your arms, instead of torso rotation. ❤️

    Glad no one was injured or struck by lightning, or anything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has one of those "sit on top" ones, so the back support is just a sling kind of thing, and the only adjustment is the strap holding it in place. I'm fine, by the way. My abs for holding myself in place to paddle were kind of worn out and the wind and waves were getting stronger, so actually leaning back like into a sports car driving position was the fastest way back to shore.

      I, too, am very glad we got the swim bit done before the lightning. And it did move through pretty fast, so even though the race was "called" several athletes went ahead and completed it as a workout.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Not really. Maybe tomorrow I will have, though. The trainer has been working on my upper body all Summer long, so I should be able to handle today's event.

      Delete
  5. Good for you! I have volunteer for Ironman and other local races. These events cannot happen without volunteers. Bravo! πŸ‘πŸΌ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! As a former participant in runs, cycle events, and triathlons, as well as the State Games, I am grateful for every single volunteer, and many of us feel the need to give back!

      Delete
  6. Whew!! That's quite a day! Makes all the training worth while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes it does. Even to be a spectator at some of these events requires a level of fitness! And some of the volunteer gigs take both fitness and an awareness of what the sport is all about. Giving the joy to a whole new generation of athletes, testing themselves and their training.

      Delete
  7. So proud of you, Barb, for putting yourself out there in a supportive role of the sport that you so enjoyed! WTG! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! That's the only way a sport will continue to thrive, though, is if we continue to support it.

      Delete
  8. I can’t post links in a MFP “feed” conversation for some reason, so I’ll mention this here - talk about being out there for swimmer support with inadequate equipment...

    https://web.archive.org/web/20210802191418/https://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=4428516

    I’d just had shoulder surgery and was going to get around that little fact by using my kayak with a pedal drive...

    πŸ˜³πŸ™„πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, with the MFP link problem - Anna has some good stretches suggested here. And her DVD is fantastic. It relaxes the hips really really well.
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rKL4nJy6ZnI

      I went on one of her paddling trips to Costa Rica. Good times!

      Delete
    2. Adrenaline can get you to do foolish things sometimes... and sometimes we survive them!

      FYI, while it doesn't show as a link in the "comments" section of the blog, it does come in my gmail notification as a live link.

      There was one pedal driven kayak and one paddle boarder among the flotilla of water support yesterday. And a couple of powered boats, of course.

      Everybody got off the water before the lightning strikes.

      Delete
    3. Ooh, love the yoga video... I was familiar with two of them, but the other two are new variations for me... and to be honest, it's been a while since I fully did the ones I am familiar with, too. Thanks!

      Delete
    4. You’re welcome!

      It’s worth visiting her page in general, for more paddling specific yoga and techniques:

      https://mindbodypaddle.com

      Delete
    5. She has a couple of yoga classes on her YouTube channel; this might be an easier link for finding them, than her main page

      https://m.youtube.com/c/AnnaLevesque/videos

      Delete
    6. πŸ‘Thanks again for the links, Anja!

      Delete
  9. Sometimes plan B's can be just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a very interesting conversation in the week and a half since, with the race director (my trainer). He was pretty bummed at having to call the race, but that weather was NUTS!

      Delete

Work in progress

 The woodpecker situation, work in progress At this point in the process, Jeremy the handyman had removed three smallish pieces of the sidin...