Thursday, September 16, 2021

Thursday morning pep talk

 

In the news this Thursday morning

I'm noticing the news of an all non-astronaut crew in orbit, and thinking back to the 1960's.  First we had the pre-orbital flights, back then.  And followed up with orbital flights.  It was with test pilots turned astronauts aboard.  It was dangerous and we knew it, and they knew it.  Great effort went into making it safer.

Now a similar path seems to be unfolding... we had the pre-orbital billionaires, now we have an orbital one.  This time it's a fund-raiser for St. Jude's Children's hospital, and one of the cancer surviving young people is aboard.  This seems like a completely different vibe, even while the progression is familiar.

Amid all the disturbing news (and there is a lot of that, too), there is this uplift of reaching to the heavens.

Uplifting the spirit in physical space

I stepped out on the deck this morning, watching the sky in the coolness.  A little cloudier than yesterday morning, so no photos of the pre-dawn sky.  The breeze was blowing the prairie grass over the top of the deck rail.  The cats decided to come back out after downing their breakfast, and I came back inside.

The peace of just getting outside and feeling oneself in the world, breathing in and out, and just letting the calm wash over me.  Thank you, God, for the gift of this day!

I often say "Don't get cocky"

It's one of my major themes.  When I am having a seeming time of success, I have to be careful of self-sabotage.  Just because the scale has been kind of late, that doesn't mean it will automatically continue in this vein.  It requires hanging on to new/old behaviors.

Part of the reason why the scale is acting that way has to do with my own behavior in the kitchen.  I have been winning the battles at the grocery store.  I did stop buying ice cream.  I did stop buying candy.  And I started putting more energy into the things that have always worked:  preparing fresh food, and tracking what I eat. 

What does cocky look like?  It looks like "I got to my goal range, I don't need to avoid junk any more."  It looks like, "Oh, I know what I'm eating is healthy, I don't need to track it any more."  But not tracking can lead to also not reading my body's signals that it's had enough.

Part of the reason is my return to strength training on a consistent basis.  During the pandemic I started out well, but only did strength training rarely.  Maybe once  or twice a month.  My walks started getting shorter.  But after getting fully vaccinated, I returned to the trainer, twice a week.  And the walks started getting longer.

As the scale dropped, I waited for the "magic number" of 150 before I would let myself start jogging intervals.  The first time I jogged intervals was some time in July.  The first time I was cheeky enough to call my interval workout a "run" to the tracking application was August 1st.  The first time I ran intervals to the watch, as opposed to counting jogging steps was yesterday.

So, yes, I'm sitting at a good spot, in terms of what the scale says, how the clothes fit, how I feel, and what I'm able to do, in terms of fitness.  A great time for that "don't get cocky" reminder.

A theme-mate to that "Don't get cocky" is "You are worthy"

The biggest obstacle to continued success in maintaining a healthy lifestyle is mental.  I'm being flat out honest here.  It's the sabotaging feeling of "I'm not worth it", often disguised as caring more for others than for self.  Sounds altruistic.  If someone else is suffering, how can it be right for me to have this joy?  And there are a LOT of people suffering in the world.

One of the keys to "you are worthy" is the recognition that failing to take care of yourself is NOT helping those who are suffering.  Better approach is to take care of your health so as not to add to the burdens of others.  Better approach is to take care of your fitness so that you will be equipped to assist others.

The approach of "am I worthy to help others?" is a healthy one.  Because the answer is always YES!  We can ALL do our part.

The Pep Talk:  Let's live TODAY!

Let's all get out there and live the best we can manage, this one and only Thursday, September 16, 2021 we'll ever get.  The best we can manage where we are right now, is enough.  And enough will always get us through.  Life is good.  Spark on!  ✨🎇💖🔥

22 comments:

  1. All good observations AND advice! For me, it truly does begin at the grocery store.....self-sabotage opportunities to the nth degree!! My goal is to remain on my own two feet, independent, and capable as longggg as possible...this definitely requires a
    non-cocky attitude! Have a good day! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much easier if we win at the grocery store, isn't it? My goal is the same as yours.

      Delete
  2. Yes! A Physician’s Asst. is aboard (I think that’s the cancer survivor?) So exciting.

    Oh my yes, cockiness always lands me in trouble. **SIGH** Good reminder.

    And SOOOOoooo necessary to remember that we are worthy! Self-care is so very important and we have to be in charge of that.

    HUGS and here's to a fantastic Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that "cockiness" and "unworthy" problem off and on since retirement! I would start to do better, toot my horn quietly, and then fall down again. I am hoping that saying out loud I think I'm turning the corner won't trip me up again.

      Delete
  3. Shooting myself in the foot seems to be a common occurrence with me. For me, the two keys for relative success are to log my food and stay away from the scale. The number goes down and I let the food numbers go up. Ugh! Ignorance can be bliss at time. 😓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding your own formula, identifying your own goals, and sticking to what supports them is indeed the key to our experiments of One! Have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Well I don't want to add to you getting cocky ; BUT , a little congrats at doing so well is going your way anywho . Great insights on your part . Take care .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Consistency is calming, and it leads to success in maintenance.

      Delete
    2. Do you mind if I ask , Do you mean doing relatively the same in your food plans and exercise routines ? or something else ? Thanks for answering in advance .

      Delete
    3. I mean consistently following my plan for eating and exercise. There is plenty of variety within both, but the consistency is in compliance!

      Delete
  5. Thanks , I get it . Thanks for answering . It will be a year before I am down to where I want to be . But it's people like yourself and others that I find I try to understand how they have stayed or maintained their changes that they made in their weight and strength .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My initial loss took about a year, as well. Then as I entered maintenance, I thought that I was comfortable with the level of eating, and comfortable with the level of exercise, and just kept consistently following along, and letting the body decide when it was done losing. It turned out to be about 25 pounds below where I initially set my goal.

      I am trying to regain that same attitude. I know about how much and of what to eat. I am comfortable tracking (with Cronometer), and I am slowly increasing the activity level, because that, too, is a goal of mine. I am deliberately avoiding thinking of a specific number on the scale as being "goal" or "done"... what I'm looking for is an active, comfortable lifestyle and feeling healthy.

      When I feel Covid safe... I would like to be able to cross a finish line again.

      Delete
  6. Great reminder. Yes, "don't get cocky" is a common pothole. It’s so easy to forget how much effort you put in tracking, eating healthy and moving more without tracking. How often tracking was the motivation to keep up the effort. A fit body makes you less of a burden to yourself. It also creates more energy that you can expend on others. Yes, we are all worth of helping others but it sure is easier when we are less of a burden to ourselves. I think that’s Gods math.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You phrased that really well. I had observed that life was easier at a healthy weight, but the whole idea of being less of a burden to oneself... fits. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Just letting the calm wash over me.

    So true :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I pay attention and stick to my plan I seem to have no trouble with my weight but as soon as (How you say) get cocky that's when I have trouble. I have to be more mindful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 👍 So right there! And when you slip is when you are tempted to think you're not worthy... it can be a vicious cycle... truth is, we're all human, deserving of kindness to ourselves as we work on taking care of the only body we will ever be issued in life!

      Delete
  9. I think having and using all the separate apps is working for you. The proof is in the numbers.

    ReplyDelete

Work in progress

 The woodpecker situation, work in progress At this point in the process, Jeremy the handyman had removed three smallish pieces of the sidin...