Friday, May 17, 2024

Ember shots are all up to date

Ember:  do I look more grown up?

Weight:  31.26 pounds.  That means that she has officially doubled in size since she arrived to me at Easter.

Mommy's heart swelled when the vet declared Ember to be the best-behaved lab puppy she had seen in years of practice.  Granted, the me in me figures she just said that to make me feel better.

But she confirmed Endurovet Val's advice about the Kaopectate, and added to it a prescription for Metronidazole, twice a day for five days.

They also reassured me that I am neither over nor under-feeding her.  She's Goldilocks "just right".  Encouragement to carry on!

OK, deep breath, time to get Ember to her safe space so I can go get us some groceries!

More than groceries

I got to the store and sidetracked myself to the pharmacy.  I got a Covid booster in the left, and the RSV vaccine in the right.  God help me, and God help Ember if I have a strong reaction to either.  But what the hey, she had her shots, I had mine.

Then I bought the groceries on the list, came home and unpacked them.  

Just a cognition of the date

43 years ago Thursday, I walked down the aisle and married the man who became the father to my son. Small, short, family only.  Now I've been divorced about as long as we stayed married.  Life moves on.

Overnight report, Thursday to Friday

The human was having some mild side effects to the Covid shot:  sore arm, elevated body temp (99.9F), and chills when it really was not cold in the night.  The puppy is rapidly regaining her energy post shots.

She did, however, spend a few hours in the den overnight, and mom got to sleep in her own bed!  Well enough, but not long enough.  We have to work on manners related to getting ready for big girl walks.  This morning Ember got turned down for a harness walk because the demon puppy in her attacked the harness.  Took an effort on Mommy's part to a) get it away from her, and b) put her "away" for some cool down time.  Mommy is now figuratively and literally licking her wounds.

About that time, the workmen showed up.  It's quite warm and sunny today.  But they keep making progress.  

This is the South side of the house, about 1:45 p.m., where they are building the base for the edging.  There will be a paving stone patio under the bay window, in front, then it will shift to river rock fill as the corner is turned.  All of this, patio and rock bed will be edged with this stone..

I took several photos as this developed, but I won't overload y'all with them.

The men got here while Ember was still in her "chill down" period, so I traipsed upstairs and napped off the last vestiges of my side effects from the shots.

I got up a little before noon.  Yes!  Rest!

The back yard is still mostly dirt, but that reveals strange non-food substances, like plastic or wire in this phase before the sod gets laid down.  We don't have an estimate for just when that will happen.  The important thing, according to Ember, is she has a wide selection of potential poo spots in all that dirt.  The good thing, according to Mommy, is that plops laid down on loose bare dirt is easy to clean up.

Weekend plans

On Saturday morning, there is a VIP kayak event, starting at 11 a.m.  I will leave the puppy in her den for this time, while I scope out the situation and whether it's going to work out to have her come with on future lake adventures.

Then on Sunday morning, Ember will be moving up to the Puppy Plus training class.  

Life is good.  Spark on!

12 comments:

  1. It sounds like the little one is fitting in nicely with you. (((BUG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has certainly made my life busier! (Big Hugs)

      Delete
  2. She's beautiful!
    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm amazed at how sometimes she looks so grown up, and other times, so completely puppy!

      Delete
  3. My yes, Ember looks very much more grown up.

    Glad you and Ember got a good report from the vet! Great job, both of you.

    And good for you getting YOUR shots!

    Sorry the demon dog keeps showing up! *SIGH* But puttoing her in a time out is hopefully working.

    Glad you were able to get a nap in with all going on. It helps feel better after vaccinations.

    Your home improvements are coming along. That's good! It will be nice to have that done.

    Hope it's a good weekend!

    hugs
    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to get those shots for me for several months now. Glad they are on board, only one more to go, and I'll wait a couple of months before getting that one.

    That nap was just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Ember looks more 'grown up' in her face. As well, in recent pictures I've noticed she seems a bit more leggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree... a bit more leggy. My mom used to claim that kids grew in cycles: legs, then tummies. Lather, rinse, repeat.

      Delete
  6. Glad you got a booster. Glad you are feeling better. Glad you took advantage of the quiet and got some sleep. Youngest DD and her hubby both tested positive last weekend. Both are current with shots, but it hit DD fairly hard.

    Your yard will be a show place when the landscapers finish their work. WooHoo!!!

    Maybe Ms. Blueberry will turn out to be Ms. Mermaid. πŸ‘™πŸ‘™
    Have an awesome weekend! πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸ˜ΈπŸΆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your DD and her hubby catching the Covid, despite having their shots current. Even "mild" case of Covid can be formidable, I hear.

      As long as Ms. Blueberry learns not to nip and bite, particularly considering ME her tug-toy... or to be gentle with her teeth... but in order to get her to that point I have to not react when she starts in, as that just encourages the game. Currently trying the "don't give her attention" strategy, turning my back on her. I wore a different sweatshirt tonight when I went out with her in the backyard, and that now makes four with holes in them! I'm wearing jeans in the heat against the possibility of her teeth on bare legs. Taking far too long.

      Delete
  7. Yes, Ember, you definitely look more grown up.
    The vet may have been totally truthful; the look on a knowledgeable person’s face ( sorry, I don’t remember who, surrounded by too many people on a daily basis) let me know that lab puppies pose a challenge - but you started early and are staying the course. You’ve got this!
    Love the hers & hers shots day. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just back from an early walk. Speaking of lab puppies posing a challenge, this morning she climbed up via a chair and got on top of the dining room table. Yikes! So quick like, put her away, and cleared the table. Fortunately, the only things she "stole" off that table before getting into major trouble, was the gardening glove she buried her first week here.

      She nabbed one of the pillows I had put up there, and that's what got her wrestled into the den. Now I have Dog TV on, and a snoozing puppy on the leather couch in the family room. She now is dressed in her new finery (collar has the rabies vax tag on it), and her not quite as new finery (harness).

      Wish me luck with the kayak outing.

      Hugs, feel good, and may your weekend be restorative and healing!

      Delete

X-Pen

  I finally set it up, as a test run. It's like pitching a tent.  I have set it up in a part of the back yard, on the part that is NOT n...