Monday, May 13, 2024

Mother's Day

 

My daughter in law spent Mother's Day with her mom and sent her husband (my son) over to spend some time with me!  He brought Carl along to play with Ember.

But my daughter in law is one of those "always mark occasions with physical evidence" people, and she sent the gift along.  My son gets credit via his signature on the card beside hers, but let's be honest, this is one of those "women do it" emotional labors!  It's a cute little mug that she and her folks acquired during their recent trip to Santa Fe, filled with dark chocolate sea-salt caramels.  Yes, I had one this afternoon, and they were awesome!

The pups played with the kiddie pool.  I got smarter about filling it, then putting the hose away before letting the dogs loose in the backyard!


Carl demonstrated his skill of wallowing to wash off the belly.  The water was plenty dirty by the time the visit was over.  

Ember continued her program of chilling the remainder of the afternoon, once Carl and the mythical son headed out.  Since Ember was back in her crate, and Carl was ensconced in the back seat of the truck, I got a real, solid son hug or two!

Which is sufficient for me to say I've had a fine Mother's Day.

Meanwhile, the flowers along the fencerow are persistent.  Keep in mind, I don't garden or do much more than the occasional binge weeding effort... these flowers have persisted from the prior owners of the house, for 25 years!

I don't know this one's name, but I enjoy it every year (and have the photo history to prove it's about the same time each year, too).

The little Dutch iris, or flags, seem to be Ember attractors.  I've seen her go after blooms of several types... wonder if that, too, is contributing to the gastro-intestinal variability.

The report from overnight, Sunday to Monday is that I stayed downstairs with Ember, and she was not crated except at one point to give the kitty safe passage.  No accidents in the crate at all, even when I enticed her into it at 3-something so I could go grab a shower.

While she was still "in", we let the kitty back out, and since then have hand-delivered Prisoner's breakfast to the deck.

Ember chose to take an early puppy nap on Mommy's chair.  Fitbit gives me credit for about 4 hours of sleep on the couch overnight.  The sleep statistics also mark the times I was up to let her out, at 9, 10:30, and midnight.  

She was quite happy to get her breakfast at not quite 5 a.m.  I am currently trying to feed her two meals, 12 hours apart, and 5 a.m. and 5 p.m. is "the goal" because it fits my normal schedule.  But the processing time from meal to poo has been changing, so we shall see where this slides and settles.

After her breakfast we had several backyard outings in the rain.  But she showed no sign of doing more than liquid emissions.  

She fussed a little on putting on the pink "buddy harness" for her big girl leash walk.  Mostly the fussing was over the leash, once the harness was buckled in place.  A pretty good walk, with lots of sniffing pauses, and just plain stop and observe points.  Some pulling, but not excessive. We were home by 9 a.m.  And Ember was ready to continue napping.  At about 9:30 I talked her into the den to keep napping, so that now, I can, too!

Life is good.  Spark on!





10 comments:

  1. Oh that is a pretty mug and who could resist dark chocolate-sea salt caramels. OMG. Can taste them from here. Danger, danger, Will Robinson! LOL

    Glad that Carl and Ember enjoyed the pool. Perfect day for it.

    Enjoy your naps!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it darling? And it is smaller than most of the mugs in my kitchen, so maybe it will be particularly cozy for days when I want to take it easy on the intake (of caffeine, for example).

      And yes, about the "danger Will Robinson" reaction... not just for me, but for dear Ember, for chocolate is dangerous for her!

      Glad you had a good Mother's Day with contact from both son and daughter!

      Delete
  2. Iris plants are poisonous for dogs! We had to remove them from our backyard fenceline when we had one dog that went after them. They never did well with improper sunlight in rest of yard so I spread the bulbs among my four siblings since they began in the 1930's with my Dad who was known for his beautiful iris.

    Couple of 'Mr. Google' responses:

    "According to the ASPCA, yes—iris are poisonous to dogs. While we can't deny their aesthetic appeal, these eye-catching blooms can tigger tissue irritation if your dog swallows or touches them. Fortunately, iris poisoning in dogs is usually only mild to moderate in severity."

    "If your dog eats irises, they may salivate, vomit, drool, have diarrhea or lose energy. This is because the iris contains several compounds that are toxic to dogs. Irises can also cause skin irritation."

    By jove, I think you may have figured it out. Good that it will be an easy fix.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PHOENIX1949

      PS - "10 Common Poisonous Plants for Dogs" is an article by petMD by Chewy. I need to remove some from front yard beds to not harm the neighborhood dogs!
      https://www.petmd.com/dog/slideshows/emergency/poisonous-plants-to-dogs

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Susan, for the informative link. Those flags have been fascinating to her ever since they started to bloom. I call her "off" them, but apparently some of the damage may have already been done.

      I already knew about the milkweed, but she seems to leave that alone. The vine on my deck fence is another where she goes after the blooms and I spent several blogs last year trying to figure out just what that plant is, with varying responses.

      When Bill brings Barnaby over for a play date with Ember on Wednesday, he will have his phone app that helps to identify plants, and maybe it will tell us. Regardless, wisteria, which is one of the debated possibilities is also poisonous to dogs. And I worry about her eating dandelions not because of inherent danger, but because the lawn people spray them!

      And my Diamond had seizures when she dug up and ate the root of a lily plant! So many dangers to our fur-friends!

      Delete
    3. Our beauiful backyard wisteria that was here when we bought the house (1984) gets cut down each time it makes a comeback. Too dangerous to dig it out as he phone and electrical boxes for a section of the neighborhood are in that corner. AT&T rep came to carefully dig up the the roots but decided it was best to leave them alone.
      PHOENIX1949

      Delete
    4. What a shame about the wisteria! But doesn't it show how interconnected we have become with all our wires and pipes and such, buried where the plants root.

      Delete
  3. I believe your pink flowers are coral bells. There are many varieties of these perennials; I have 4 different types. They fill in nicely. It's nice to be recognized by someone who likes you for you!

    ReplyDelete

  4. Sounds as if you had a love and hug filled Mother's Day. 💞

    The pink flowers are coral bells. Here's an info link:
    https://plantsforallseasons.com/shade-gardening/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The consensus seems to be "coral bells" and it certainly fits what they look like. I just know I like them: so delicate.

    ReplyDelete

X-Pen

  I finally set it up, as a test run. It's like pitching a tent.  I have set it up in a part of the back yard, on the part that is NOT n...