Tuesday, May 14, 2024

OMG the landscapers are here!

 

I admit I did not know the exact dates that the landscaping work would begin.  I had agreed to authorize the work, and as close a time/date as I was given was "early in the season".

Turns out, between the weather and what it did to other job sites, "early in the season" turned out to be Monday afternoon.


Just what I needed.  A puppy with diarrhea (returned) and a yard being torn apart and put back together.  They were only here for a couple of hours this afternoon, but they will be back in force tomorrow.

I introduced Ember to the crew, and they all made entirely too much of a fuss over her and she got overexcited.  I thought I had her calmed down and then after she finished her supper and started to play, she went for me.

Ankles first, then wrists, then climbing up onto the couch and... 

Unfortunately, I am learning that I am a reactive human, not particularly calm when those teeth hit.

I got her into her crate, and then when she whimpered and yelped, I thought, given recent bathroom history, that she might need to go and I tried letting her out, but the scene repeated on the back deck, and in the end I grabbed her by the nape of the neck, and she just got more determined, and nailed me on my bare arm, breaking the skin quite nicely.

Back in the crate, with a whimpering mommy and a protesting puppy.  Dang!  

In retrospect, I probably should not have introduced her to the crew but sheltered her from so many people (all young men) at once.  She does love people, but she gets overexcited and doesn't know when to push the "off" switch.

Shortly after that, her poo was practically liquid with a few chunks in it.  That drove me to the pharmacy and I gave her a tablespoon of Kaopectate on her lickimat.  She lapped it right up.  Back into the crate with her, and steeling mom's will to not be manipulated by her complaints. 

The overnight report:

Sigh.  Well, mom was not to be manipulated by complaints.  But mom had the history on her mind and started trying to let her out every two hours, "just to make sure".  This strategy only lasted for two trips out.  First, the trips out were unproductive.  Ember would have been happy to just lay on the grass out there, but remember, we have a very tired sleep deprived Mommy on our hands.  

Mommy lost the battle to have Miss Emmy get back into her den around 10:30 p.m. or so.  At this point.  I gave up on the "sleep in the family room" idea and shifted to my chair in the parlor, while Ember snoozed on the mat by the back door.  

As I snoozed, she moved to the floor by my feet.  No indications of needing to go out.  My extremities started to complain, so I shifted myself to the couch.  Emmy took over my wingback chair, and continued her peaceful slumber all night.  Well, if all night means until 3 a.m.

I decided to leave her in the chair while I did my morning ritual weigh-in, meds, including eye drops, and dress.  That was all the time she needed... there was a big gift in the hall outside my bedroom when I opened the door.  Sigh.  I had been concerned about her getting all awake and excited and missing my own needs if I took her out first.  But there we were.

Fortunately, the kaopectate did the job, the poo was fairly solid.

After she came back in, we continued having the "teethy" issues.  Mom by this time is working hard at "don't react in an alarmed fashion", and we determined this is the hungry puppy action.  So, breakfast comes out, and lessons begin.  Before 4 a.m.!

By 4:15, she's ready for a puppy nap, and is starting to snooze on my chair, with breakfast only about half finished.  She is there as I finish typing this.

Anyway, the so-called "battle of the wills" seems to already be in progress with a puppy not quite four months old.  When Mommy is calm in her response to the first nip, we can achieve a more gentle release.  But when Mommy yelps, things do not go well.

Mommy is not fond of this particular game, but this is the puppy I have, and I am already bonded to her.  I'm doing the typical human reaction (for me) of second guessing every decision, every action I have taken with her.  I definitely am failing at consistency in the environment, and it's not going to be any easier the next few days.

I canceled the Tuesday trainer session, feeling the need to be here while the crew is working on the yard.  I warned Bill that with the landscapers here, we might not be able to do a yard romp with Barnaby on Wednesday as we had planned.  Aware, he will watch to see what's going on in my yard, and we'll make the call then.  I waved off the neighbor across the street, whose toddler had wanted to "pet the puppy" last evening... I said "not today, she's been a little nippy."

And life in Emberville goes on.  Regardless of all challenges, that Life is GoodSpark on!



12 comments:

  1. Ember, Ember, Ember! Oh no. Mommy is not a biting toy! *SIGH* Hope you heal quick, Barb.

    Happy to hear that the kaopectate did the job for the GI distress.

    Ah, so part of it was a hungry signal. Always learning.

    I think you made a wise choice being there today when the landscapers are there. Hopefully that will keep her calm.

    Well, hope today is better in the land of Ember.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing about training (just about anything) is that one cannot rush the process. Mom still working on Mom. Ember doing the best she can with a 17 week old puppy brain!

      Onward, for better or worse!

      Delete
  2. Uh-oh. Hope you can nip this behavior in the bud (couldn't resist the corny pun). Wishing a calmer day for you and Ember.
    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! What's that old Reader's Digest feature: "Laughter is the Best Medicine"... even laughter at corny puns.

      Since I posted, we've been out on a leash walk, although with the collar. We were having too energetic an attempt at getting the harness on, so I put it away for now. Maybe later in the day... or even tomorrow.

      The leash walk had the interesting feature of an encounter with an adult red fox, who was trotting up the sidewalk from the nearby park. Yikes! I didn't know what I wanted to happen at that point, and my brain is spinning a million miles an hour with thoughts of how to extricate my little puppy (who by the way is about the same size as the full-grown fox and may outweigh it).

      But little Ember went into "auto-sit" mode to watch the show. The fox spotted the human (me), and made the choice to cross the street and cut through yards. We could follow its progress by the barking of dogs in their fenced yards, heading South.

      Yep, never a dull moment. And now we have the machinery at work on the back yard, Ember snoozing again (puppy nap #2), and me assimilating. Time for human chill time.

      Delete
  3. Can your vet provide answers for the problem? Maybe a change in diet?

    Will you be posting photos of the yard when the landscapers finish? I'm sure it will be photo worthy. πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸΆπŸ˜Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. We have a vet appointment for Thursday morning, and this is on my list of things to ask about. I'm thinking it's something she ate out of the yard, at this point, although I'm still going through the "eliminate human foods" and "eliminate those premade pops for the pup sickle" steps.

      2. Of course there will be photos of the finished product. Today the main goal is to have the backyard "sod ready". They are going through those weeds like gangbusters! And there are only two of them on duty today, so Ember is not AS over-excited.

      Hope you're having a decent day in your part of the country! It is beautiful out just now.

      Delete
  4. Looking good already. The yard will be so nice when it’s all done.
    Pace yourself! Puppyhood is a long time....I found evidence of Benji’s chewing early on with us, and he was already 9 or 10 months old. Easy does it. ~Ace ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, puppyhood is a long time. How many nights can a 70-something sleep on the couch before something breaks down? Seriously, last night was better, and yes, I slept on the couch. She needed out for poo's at 11:30 (soft serve consistency) and again at 1:30 a.m. (mostly liquid), so gave her another dose of kaopectate, and so far, no poos again. It takes a few hours for things to process.

      Demon puppy and Mommy are learning to communicate and let Angel puppy come back. At lot of this, in my opinion is caused by how I keep things away from her by "going high"... that seems to encourage her to jump for whatever it is she wants. Have to re-think strategies... like you said, a loooong time, puppyhood!

      Have a good work... maybe see you after? Landscapers got as far as spreading topsoil on Tuesday. If it doesn't rain hard, we might see sod today?

      Delete
  5. I hope your yard is completed quickly!
    Puppies. Both Chewy and Winnie tattooed my hands and Winnie came to us as a frisky adult. You know I love to give advice/opinions ;-) You're nearing the time when baby teeth fall out. It's a curse and blessing.
    Try wearing nitrile gloves when you are in business mode with her. It might create a layer of protection for you...or maybe another toy for her. Not sure.
    When I needed to grab Oscar when he was over-misbehaving, I tended to create a 'claw' hand by stiffening my fingers to resemble a mother dog's bite. I'd use that to hold his scruff or neck for a minute. It worked for me but may not for you. Bigger dog.
    I've been working on Winnie with her continued overexcitement with me. I've been using Caesar Milan's trick of staring her down. Eventually she stops barking at me and jumping, she loses every time, turns her head to look away and either walks away or lays down. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have used the mother dog bite grip for Carl as a puppy, so adding that to the scruff grab makes sense. Nitrile gloves sound worth a try. I just placed my Amazon order.

    Considering the episode with stripping my garden glove to bury it in the sandbox? We shall see. Isn't it a trip figuring out just what combination will work?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL imagining a sandbox full of gloves. Maybe wear them around the house a bit so she gets used to them. We have such darned thin skin at this age, any extra protection may help. My poor DH peels with band aid removals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use disposable gloves for cleaning anyway, these look similar but maybe with a little more protection than the thin ones I have been using (bought during the great pandemic).

      Delete

X-Pen

  I finally set it up, as a test run. It's like pitching a tent.  I have set it up in a part of the back yard, on the part that is NOT n...