Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Work in progress

 The woodpecker situation, work in progress

At this point in the process, Jeremy the handyman had removed three smallish pieces of the siding and was getting the color match for the paint.  

Angel/demon puppy report

Overnight Miss Emmy was the little angel.  She quietly came out, I quietly waited on her system to process, and we got the mostly liquid poo out such that she didn't have to urgently go in her crate.  The morning result is that it's back to a soft serve, rather than soupy consistency.  We continue to monitor.  

After her big girl leash walk (Angel puppy), the backyard play puppy turned into the demon doggy.  I always take her to the back yard after the leash walk unless she used the leash walk for eliminations, too.  Demon puppy kept going after my pants legs, ankles and hamstring levels.  I swear this dog's instincts to bring down bigger game are excellent.  I'm sorry to report that I am NOT good at staying calm when nipped.  I can usually calm down after, but a loud "Ouch" has to sound like a win to a squeaky toy trained puppy, right?

Anyhow, I was washing and bandaging a hand, and noticed I'd got blood on my white t-shirt... so I changed it before Jeremy got here.  No sense alarming the service people.  πŸ˜†

Ember was calm and quiet in her den.  She knows she "hurt mommy", but I'm sure she thought she was defending herself in a wrestling match as mommy kept pulling against her tugs.  One of these days I will "get it right", I keep telling myself.  And sometimes I do.  One of the dog training videos I watched talked about how many things affect a puppy's tendency to nip.  Among them is the schedule, i.e. time of day, relative to meals, exercise, and need for a nap.  I can see that in her.  When she's tired, hungry, or overexcited... or any overlap of the three, watch out.  I think I have tended to over rather than under exercise her, so that, too, can be a contributing factor to "tired".

Another training video I caught talked about the dog emotional state of "overexcited", and this seems to match my Miss Emmy.  I'm not sure if this is what they call a reactive dog or not.  I only know it has to be resolved before she grows up!

To be fair, after that incident this morning, she was mostly angel puppy all day long.  We even napped together in the 3 p.m. hour before her Auntie Alicia came over and helped with our afternoon leash walk.

Back to the siding repair, the after photos

Looks nice, doesn't it?  Jeremy left me a quart of the touch up paint in case it's needed.  I mean, after all, who else is going to use such a small amount?


That's Jeremy documenting his work.  I wrote them a check. Turned out with materials and labor to over $900.  Remember the initial estimate was $550, for labor alone.  The materials were siding, paint and I presume insulation.  

I committed to the shower replacement.

This is the time of year when I generally announce that I'm keeping the economy going single-handed.  Because I have already committed to that landscaping, too.  I gave them the down-payment for the shower.  The landscapers have not asked for theirs yet, nor have they given me firm dates.  But the bottom line is that Miss Emmy and I will have a lot of disruption to routine over the rest of Spring and into the Summer.

It may be stress, but it's the "good" kind of stress!

Life is good.  Spark on!


8 comments:

  1. Glad Miss Emmy is doing better. Sheesh. These fur babies!

    Ohh my. Demon Puppy will hopefully get it sooner than later! Hard to deal when the demon comes out!

    Well, hope that Miss Emmy adjusts to the disruptions from the projects!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning slowly. The most important lesson is maintaining my own patience and calm!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...change your shirt?...you don't want the service to think you harbor Cujo?? The repairs look awesome. By the time the landscape is finished and the new bath installed, it will like living in a new house.
    Enjoy the disruptions. πŸ‘·πŸΌ‍♂️
    πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸΆπŸ˜Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Truth! I want Ember's Angel Puppy side to show, and in fact, except for the guy down the block, she's been very good with other people. OK, admit that Aunt Alicia has had to remind her a time or sixteen to put all four paws on the floor!

      My bank account will be flat, but I've been procrastinating on projects since 2020, so thankfully, it has accumulated and is available to use for all of these this year. I shudder to think of what the electrician might have to do when he comes on the 20th to inspect!

      The bad news (for the inflationary pressures) is that I'm not the only one "going to town" with spending. So... brace ourselves, eh?

      Delete
  3. It's great that you're getting things into good repair and setting up a safe shower for future use. Having a walk-in shower is something I'm going to need in a few years; with my bum knees I'm doing fine now, but maybe not so much down the line.

    Thank goodness Ember has you for her owner ... you're putting in the effort to get her well-trained so that she's a wonderful companion. Some folks don't put in the effort, then are unkind to the dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking about what happens to a dog that bites. Commander Biden was lucky in his choice of owners, a family with enough power (not to mention love for the dog and understanding of the breed) to pull off re-homing him. Not everyone has the clout to do that! I know that dogs that bite, especially if they bite children, end up not just with unkind treatment, but they can be sentenced to death by the courts!

      It's extremely unlikely that the fault lies with the dog! Training is the majority of the issue. Human behavior around dogs has to not encourage the wrong parts of their nature, but to nurture their "angel puppy" side. And responsible owners warn new people in the dog's life of what to do and what not to do around their animals.

      I think I am learning what NOT to do to rile the demon puppy side... you know, doggies, like people, can have triggers, and I might have been mashing some of hers. Wish me luck making a good day into a streak, not a fluke!

      Delete
  4. Stopping by to catch up on the adventures of Emmy. Hope you had a good Thursday! Love & hugs, Ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, good Thursday. And it was. Blog just posted.

      Delete

First paddle of the season plus Ember's working dog photo op

Ember stayed home in her den while her mommy went out on the water for the first time this season. The wind was gusty and from the Northwest...