Thursday, May 30, 2024

Oddities of Ember

 

Anybody else have a puppy that "sits" while drinking from their water bowl?  This strikes me as a bit unusual, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thursday in Emberville has been less than stellar.  It started out by mommy letting herself sleep a little longer, so breakfast was half an hour late.  Ember was not pleased, and gobbled her breakfast so fast she gagged and vomited it onto Mommy's carpet.  Sigh.  Note to self:  Never oversleep puppy breakfast time.

She's was on two leash walks in the morning, one before mom went to work out, one after.  During the one after, a young couple asked if they could pet her, and I responded "as long as she behaves herself".  Well, Ember rolled onto her back and somehow managed to get her harness off kilter with a leg in the wrong place... her chest strap was half on her belly.  The young man volunteered to help "fix" the harness placement, while I switched the leash to her collar.  Only he made it worse, putting the chest strap on top and the top of the harness on her belly.  Yikes!

Anyway, with both of us working on keeping the puppy in line, got it fixed.  Since this was the beginning of the walk, we were able to get a complete walk in.  But then I tried to get her to go pick a poo spot in the back yard, and she just lost all patience with the little flags.  They were blowing in the wind, and I was kind of half paying attention, as I was also trying to find her last two poos to pick up!

Anyway, at this point it was collar and leash only, and Ember was grabbing the leash and playing tug, and then decided to go after my ankles because she didn't want to be deprived of her prizes (the flags... she pulled 3 of them out of the ground, and I wrestled to get the plastic out of her mouth).  Long and little of it is that Mommy ended up both saying "Ouch" loudly, and bleeding from both hands.  My shoes and shorts both have blood spots on them, because I bleed really well from the hands.

I ended up manhandling / luring her back inside the house, then I went outside on my own to finish the Poo patrol.  I came back in, and of by then I was so frustrated that I was weeping.  Little one licked my wounds and gave that concerned puppy look that they do whenever their human melts down.  She brought me her pupsickle container, as a suggestion?

Anyway, I put her away for the time it took her to finish her treat.  We tried outside again after this, but it was still not working, and I unclipped the leash and did the "treats up the steps" that again, lured her back inside.  I felt like she SHOULD need to poop at this point, but she was clearly saying "nope".  Well, it's her little body!  She should know.  But she isn't that great about telling me.

I started asking her "are you feeling OK?"  She could be teething.  I have two pop-in-the-freezer style teething rings for her, and she seemed quite intent on one this morning.

So... Mommy was feeling a little lost and low today.  The shower conversion folks called yesterday to say they want to start on Monday June 10th, and it will take about a week.  The irrigation guy for the landscapers has yet to show up or communicate where I am on their schedule, so I e-mailed the landscape head dude to let him know about the shower work, and also about the flags and my frustration with not being able to let the puppy run loose in her own backyard "indefinitely".

Oh, and it's "Give to Lincoln Day" again... every year, right?  They give credit for matching funds every day in May leading up to it, but I kind of like the tradition of the day itself.  I did take a few minutes to designate my favorite local charities to have my gifts matched.

About 2 p.m. Ember indicated she wanted to go outside, finally, and she was good about allowing me to clip on the leash.  We went out the front and she did both kinds of business.  While we were out there, Frank and his human (Susan) came by, and Ember was just on collar and leash, but I held her while Frank and Susan went on their way.

The clouds were gathering, and we did get a little rain.  Ember went outside on the deck, and then down to the patio, on leash, in the rain.  We were still on the patio when a big rumble of thunder crashed, and she bolted for the stairs.  We calmed down, but a pattern is emerging of a puppy who is scared of certain other dogs (including Frank), loud noises, etc.

Anyway, she went back in for some quiet time an hour and a half ago, and it's about time to start thinking about some supper for the pupper!

Despite this kind of day, LOVE is strong for this little one, and that makes LIFE good!  Spark on!

12 comments:

  1. (((HUGS))) Barb. It is like a toddler that tests your patience . . . you love them to pieces but wish they'd 'catch on already' to expected behaviors.

    Well, I hope that the landscaping gets completed and works w/the installation of the shower. So much going on.

    I hope it's a calm evening for both of you.

    barb
    1crazydog

    Oh, forgot . . . when Miss Lilly was a young puppy she would sit down to eat and drink. But by the time she reached 1 yr. old, she stands for both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! Ember says thanks for letting her know she has a kindred spirit in Miss Lilly as a puppy! You are so right about the testing. And the bigger she gets, the bolder she tests.

      Thanks for the calm evening wishes. I did get her out for an after-her-supper walk around the block, and that really does help. Tomorrow the challenge will be the electrician, due to arrive between 8 and 8:30 a.m.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my! Some days are like that. Keep in mind the mental growing phase from infant to toddler and child is soooo much shorter in dogs than people. Then again, kids don't usually chew holes in your hands and ankles. Hang in there. Sterile hugs back at you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanging! Yep, hanging in. Sometimes you just have to vent, right? And to be honest, if I only write the "good" days it would mislead someone who might be considering puppy-raising!

      Delete
  3. You have the patience of a saint! 😇
    Wishing you a calm evening. ((hugs)) 💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear not all saints are blessed with patience! LOL. Thanks for the calm wishes. It turned into a not so bad night, and while there were some battles of will in the morning, we got things started!

      Delete
  4. From reading I see that it seems there are more good days than off days so that is good. Puppies are really like toddlers are they? I have no experience with dogs as one of my blogs tells about so reading about Life with Ember is really an eye-opener for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puppies are like toddlers for the first couple of months home, and not too long after that, they become like teenagers. Most of my experience with dogs on an up close level came after marriage, as my husband always had dogs growing up, and I always had cats (my dad's legacy).

      Glad you're noticing that there are more good than off days... that's what keeps us going!

      Delete
  5. The good, the bad, and the ugly of puppy raising. Hugs and love, Ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I finally caved on your advice about the cut resistant sleeves, and so far am seeing mixed results. Trying them out. Ember is complaining about being in her crate as I type, but I have an appointment to get Dexter's oil changed, so mom's resolve is strong. She's been fed, pottied, played with and walked already, so no reason not to have her normal "puppy naptime".

      Hugs back!

      Delete
  6. (With apologies in advance for the short lecture - it’s Val!)
    Harness manufacturers have done a great job of convincing dog owners that collars are cruel, I suppose? But a harness for a dog is not much different than a harness made for a horse - it facilitates pulling (think of sled dogs!).
    It would be next to impossible for you to hurt a big dog by pulling on its neck - it’s one of the strongest parts of his/her body. So color me a firm believer in a well-fitted collar for control and training…
    Follow me for more training tips 😜😂😉 - straight from Val‘s farmhouse, where the dogs rule the roost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, your lectures always make me smile. Keep 'em coming.

      Delete

X-Pen

  I finally set it up, as a test run. It's like pitching a tent.  I have set it up in a part of the back yard, on the part that is NOT n...