Saturday, May 25, 2024

Saturday experiments

The Saturday morning view from my folding chair on the paver patio, while I dream of what I want to put there for outdoor furniture.

I sat there for a few minutes with my second mug of coffee, then decided to experiment with the half-bag of two-year-old Rapid Grass (seed mixed with fertilizer.  I grant that they have not installed the sprinkler system yet, and that may disrupt exactly this ground, but... two year old seed?  What have I got to lose?  I'd just have to discard it if I didn't try to use it, anyway.

I hooked up the bullet hose to the front (I usually only used it in the back of the house), spread the remaining seed, and watered.  I have three days before anybody is likely to show up to work, so three days to water and give it a chance.

Where was Ember while all this was happening.  She was in a little bit of "normal time in the den" and a little bit of "triggered by wanting to play tug with mommy as the toy" to start it when it started.

Friday morning, playing with a donut shaped Chuck-It indoor toy, Ember slipped her paw through it, like a high-fashion diva.  See my new bracelet, Mom?

Saturday morning started out earlier and differently, with the return of the puppy diarrhea.  I was up at 2:20 a.m. cleaning out the crate, and wiping down the puppy, too.  We ended up with her in the bathtub for a quickie (I mean she just had a shampoo on Wednesday).

Ember could not resist putting her paws on the edge of the counter while I was constructing the Greek salad I traditionally bring to Summer gathers.  Consequently, she had another little "safe space" session so I could not be constantly correcting her, washing my hands, cleaning the workspace, etc.

In any case, the salad was constructed, and put back in the fridge so I could take Ember out for walk #3 of the day before we head over there.

As we were walking, I got a direct message from my cousin, who was planning to be in Lincoln this afternoon.  Would that be a good time to stop over and see where I live?  His son's girlfriend lives not far from me.

I mentioned that we were going over to my son's for BBQ, and we agreed there will be more opportunities in the future.  But I did give him my address and said he and his wife were welcome to stop over and see the outside progress on the yard/house even if I were not home.

I guess I'll find out if they did so later.

So, buttoning up this blog to finish getting the show on the road.

Happy Memorial Day to those here in the 'States.  This is the one for those who gave their lives in service... which includes my grandfather's brother, in WWI. Can you imagine the letter that grandpa had to write to his parents about his brother's loss?  The two brothers were in the same outfit.

Life is Good.  Spark on!  

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love a Greek salad... I have Greek Panzanella Salad recipe from Ina Garten (which has no lettuce), and I make it once in a while for guests or to take for a get together. The rest of the time I make a salad with plenty of the red onions, bell peppers, feta, Greek olives and either my champagne vinaigrette or red wine vinaigrette. Yum! I actually was able to go to Greece a couple of years ago, and while I enjoyed the starter salads (which had the BEST cheese ever), I was so busy yumming up the other food that it was not the star.

    Oh, so happy for you to enjoy an early morning coffee on your new front patio. I have to clean off my back patio table, as it's getting almost warm enough to enjoy an after breakfast coffee or evening decaf there.

    Thankfully, while two of my grandpas served in WWII, they both came home to their families.

    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I got this particular Greek Salad recipe from an online friend at an old site that I don't even know still exists: Parent Soup! Ever hear of it?

      Delete
    2. Nope, that's a site I'm not familiar with.

      Delete
    3. I kind of doubt it's still around. I haven't gone looking lately, it's more for parents with current young children.

      Delete
  2. A nice place for morning coffee. I swear that I read in one of your posts that your were having sod laid. Apparently, that was just a hallucination. Maybe I'm ready for the home!

    Has there been a dietary change? Something of which you're not aware? She doesn't seem to be too choosy about what she puts in her mouth. Typical kid!!😏

    It's too bad the cousin wasn't able to join the family gathering. The salad looks good enough to eat. Enjoy the family time together.

    Happy Holiday. πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸ˜ΈπŸΆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hallucination... the sod will be going down in the back yard. The patio pavers and the river rock were in the front / side yards. The two year old grass seed I put down in front, since the loose plan for that part of the yard was overseeding in the Fall.

      Dietary change: different treats Tuesday night at puppy class, and the groomer gave her treats, too. So there was that... but she's also big on eating/licking/putting in her mouth just about ANYTHING!

      She and Carl did great in the "big pack" of family. They did wear each other out, and she declined going out for "last call" just now. I'm on my way to sack out, too. Will get up when I awaken and give her another chance at a potty break.

      This particular cousin would be my dad's sister's youngest son... along with his second wife and their two children came over, and Ember and I hadn't left yet, so we visited for a bit in the yard/driveway. It was one of those last-minute decisions even for them to come to town. The son is a local resident here now. I don't know as my son would even remember them, but this is the family that took me in as a 4 year old, so I feel particularly close to these cousins, even though we don't see a lot of one another.

      Delete

  3. What an adorable photo of Ember with her bracelet! LOL A girly-girl @ heart apparently!

    Oh my . . . that greek salad looks delicious!

    Have a wonderful time @ DS and DIL’s Memorial Day BBQ.

    I cannot even fathom having a brother in the same unit as I being killed and having to write home to my parents about it. *SIGH* God bless all who gave their lives so we could be free today. And I hope that that freedom endures!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that. Freedom has cost much. May it enduree.

      Clyde (the brother who was lost), left behind a daughter, Estelle, who was then raised by his parents. I don't remember what happened to her mother... perhaps lost in the flu epidemic of 1918. Every family has such stories, and we endure!

      Delete

X-Pen

  I finally set it up, as a test run. It's like pitching a tent.  I have set it up in a part of the back yard, on the part that is NOT n...