Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Ember's Wednesday

I love how the sunlight paints her head, neck and ears "silver", leaving the rest of her dark.  That's the nature of the "charcoal" lab.  She looks like a black lab until you put her next to a truly black dog (like Carl).

Ember's morning walk had its share of challenges:  "human things" that we are trying to "leave alone" for one.  While the flags have been removed from our own front yard, several yards around our normal morning walk block had them marked:  water lines, gas lines, and sprinkler heads.  

Add to that our new trainer tips (change is not Ember's favorite thing), and mommy had her hands full.  At one point on our route, we had flags on one side of the street, and spraying sprinklers on the other.  I walked us in the street for one yard, waving at a driver who was coming down that street.  He chose to drive on the other side of the road for that block.

Bad behavior:  jumping up and nipping, happened twice.  The trainer protocol calls for turning my back when she jumps up on me.  Well, she was jumping up on my back.  When that did not get a rise out of me, she escalated with the nipping, grabbing my sweatshirt, which now has two more air-conditioning holes in it.  Fortunately or unfortunately, it was one she had already started in on.  I tend to put it on because it's already destined for the discard pile.  No sense starting another down that path, if I can avoid it!

Plan B for the jumping and nipping is the "search" game, dropping several treats on the sidewalk for her to chase and calm herself down.  One of the bad behavior instances was triggered when I told her to "leave it" for one of the marking flags and she nabbed it anyway.  I got it away from her and tossed it back where it came from (approximately) and off we went with the jumping.  I turned my back to "ignore her" but she figured we were already arguing.  The other was triggered by my stopping to pick up her poop.

So I mentioned this to the instructor in puppy class today.  Advised to practice the poop pickup, when there isn't any poop to pick up.  Pause in the walk and squat or bend over, and make the motion so that it's not something that should cause her concern.  Classic conditioning, right?  Doable.  Totally doable.

The funny thing is, all of the advice makes perfect sense and you do one of those "Doh!  Why didn't I think of that?" 

One of her teething bones, being put to good use, before we went to puppy class.

In puppy class we had a full class.  Three of them were littler mates to one another:  beautiful fluffy white dogs.  All but one of them were Ember's size or bigger, and he (Charlie, the Peke) did not stay for playtime.  Don't blame his owner for that choice at all.  It was a great class for Ember to have puppy play time with.

We worked on several skills in class, including keeping our puppies busy and on-task when there's a lot of activity around them.

The trainer tried to help size Ember's new "Easy Walk" harness.  It's just a shade too big across the chest, when adjusted to its shortest.  But we limped through class wearing it best as we could.

The new harness doesn't have her name on it, but it's a front clip harness, designed to minimize pulling.  It really must fit properly to work properly, as must all harnesses!

After we got home, as is usual after one of her sessions, Ember was exhausted, and collapsed onto the cool tile floor.  She shared part of my banana snack, and snoozed.  


A little later she joined me in the family room, but then slid off the couch at about 1:30 and started heading toward the kitchen, except... she began to leak.

Oh-oh!  "Why didn't you tell me you needed to go?" I asked, and she headed for the door.  I clipped on her leash and took her out, and... here's the step of progress:  she had some left to deliver OUTSIDE!  I was so proud of her.  She did her best.  She then went on to find a poo spot, too.  How can anyone be mad at a puppy who does her best?

She didn't disrupt the clean up process much, either.  Yay!  Partway through I decided to give her a pupsickle treat in her crate, finished cleanup on my own, plotting to go to the grocery store.

That plan became solid as the HVAC/Plumbing/Electric folks called.  They have a man available Thursday (as in tomorrow!) morning to start my tub/shower conversion work two work days early!  Which means they would work Thursday / Friday this week, no work on the weekend (leaving things in a partial state), and come back to finish Monday thru Wednesday next week.  "It's going to be a wreck anyway, and you know," thought I, "a break for the weekend might be useful, considering... Ember!"  So I said OK.  They will be here between 8 and 8:30 Thursday morning.  I'm so glad I cleared myself from the trainer's schedule!

Thoughts and prayers appreciated, gang!  Tale to be continued...

Life is good.  Spark on!

10 comments:

  1. πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ» ~ Ace πŸ€—❤️🐾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️❤️❤️πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ«‚πŸ«‚

      Delete
  2. Ember probably couldn't decide whether getting up was worth going out to the bathroom being so tired after puppy class. When tired I think that way in bed, do I really want to get up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really does get worn out, mentally, by those classes. And I, too, can identify with the "can I put this off and sleep another half hour" when nature calls while I'm sleeping!

      Delete
  3. Calm and quiet on the horizon after all the construction upheaval??
    πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸ˜ΈπŸΆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... we'll hopefully have the weekend break, then in theory they should be done by Wednesday. No idea when the sod is coming. But after the Thursday - Sunday break we have my c'spy prep and procedure (Monday/Tuesday following). For that, little Ember will get her first boarding experience, and also first puppy day-care experience. Already planning the meals I will pack for her... and my own "liquid diet" shopping list, too.

      Always something... and eventually, so-called "normal routine" will be introduced!

      Delete
  4. The silver coloring on Ember is, indeed, lovely.

    Well, yes, trainer advice does boil down, a lot of times, to DOH, common sense, why didn’t I think of that! Well, when you’re in the thick of things, that doesn’t always happen! But glad that the tips are helping w/Ember. Awwww, yes, sounds like Ember is learning and trying to please her Mom!

    Hope all goes well w/the shower install! Sounds like it is a good idea to have that weekend break for Ember. Definitely hugs and prayers!

    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly: "when you're in the thick of things". Example: it makes sense to me to talk to my dog when she's doing something I don't appreciate... but if she was engaging in the "bad behavior" to get attention, talking to her is a reward! Remaining calm in the face of upset puppy also makes lots of sense, but if I've just been nipped, hard to remain calm! "Ouch!" and a cuss word is a pretty natural reaction, especially "in the thick of it"!

      BTW, as I type this comment, the deconstruction guy is here, pounding and sawing away to remove the old tub and drywall.
      Ember is not particularly happy in her crate, but it's a Thursday, and she would normally be in her crate for two or three hours in the morning anyway!

      Delete
  5. I have bathroom nightmares/anxiety; mostly because of the nightmare of a landlord I have!
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Landlords can be a dream or a nightmare, depending. I had one landlord who had been my Sunday school teacher growing up, and that was... kind of like having a parent into your adulthood?

      Delete

I did say I have a digger on my hands

  Ember's latest efforts, from Thursday morning.  She had started on this hole Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe even before that.  But as of ...