Thursday, June 6, 2024

Next up: tub/shower conversion

 A lovely young man named Joshua showed up on schedule to start in this morning.  He rang the doorbell, and Ember did not bark!  Yes, my attempts at avoiding her getting overly excited by that specific noise have so far been effective.  She's 18 weeks old, only learned the word squirrel last weekend, and thinks the doorbell is just another TV sound effect.

The calm before the storm:  drop cloths on the hallway tile and up the stairway carpet.  Ember is (I hope snoozing) in her den.  I'm hiding out in the family room.

Before Josh arrived, we had our usual routine in Emberville:  fed the cat, took the dog out for business, fed the dog, then took her on a "big girl walk" on the leash around her regular block.  Came home and fed mommy her breakfast, and Ember fell asleep to DogTV.

Oh, and I practiced the poop pick up with the piles she dropped overnight.  A mini-training session in our own patio area, since I won't let her into the back yard while all the flags are still in place.  She was already on leash, and it is good practice for pick up on a regular walk.

About ten minutes before Josh arrived, I lured Ember into her normal "crate time."  I asked Josh about the door to the bathroom and whether it would need to be removed for his part of the work.  He said no, he will be trying to control dust by keeping the door closed, and running a shop vac, so no, he would not remove it.  I was concerned about the puppy getting into a half-done project!  I mean, I have enough troubles with the outside work leaving flags in the yard for multiple days!

Josh, on the other hand, was concerned about the deconstruction dust getting spread throughout the house!

I took Ember out for a potty break a little before 11 a.m., then coaxed her back into the "den" with cheese.  She is a little barky but pretty good, all things considered.  Josh took his lunch break around noon, and while he did, I persuaded Ember to put on her harness for a "round the block" break.  She got a LOT of "high value" treats on this walk.  I'm not sure she's even going to want her supper.  But in the process we got several interruptions to the jumping behavior by asking her to sit.  We also got some good "leave it" training.  I have four bags of different flavors / brands of these training treats, and so far have opened three of them to try to see which ones she likes the best.

Nearing noon:  out with "the old".  There's a bigger chunk of tub that he called for assistance with, and then another truck hauled it all away.

He'll be doing some framing today and tomorrow to get it set up for the install of "the new" next week.

Ember has FOMO (fear of missing out), so I put her on leash for a potty break again, and we went out to watch the men work at the hauling away part.

But I have not let her on the drop cloths or loose in the house... oh, no.

Many thumps and bumps and whirs later, we are down to bare framing.  Questions about height to put in the faucet control and how high the shower head should be.  The standard height for shower head, says Joshua, is 84 inches.  That would be great for my son, who is 74 inches tall.  But I'm only 63 inches tall, and if the shower head is at 84 inches, I need a step stool to reach it!

So in my new shower, it will be set to 76 inches for the shower head.  Tall enough to clear my son's head, but short enough for me to reach.

We had one little adventure that I learned from, and so did Joshua.  He had turned off the water, and when he turned it back on (from the main water supply), the house did not "fill up".  Well!  Turned out the new backfill prevention valve on the sprinkler system they just worked on "did its job".  Joshua had to call someone, hear the story of how it had just been worked on, and they talked him through what to do to reset it.  We have water again!

But of course the tale of the construction will continue!

Life is good.  Spark on!





10 comments:

  1. Well, looks like despite the chaos, all went pretty well for you and Ember! Hope the installation of the shower goes well! And glad that the water issue was solved. PHEW.

    Here’s to another good Ember day!

    Hugs
    barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that part of the afternoon was a bit scary. I thought I was going to have to call the lawn sprinkler guys back in. But it was just doing its job and preventing lawn water from backing up into the house!

      Delete
  2. Patience, I'm told, is a virtue. Not my claim to fame. πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸ˜ΈπŸΆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joshua left about 5 p.m., and will start in again Friday morning between 8 and 8:30 a.m. He says he has more plumbing to do before he can complete the shower floor install. We had a nice conversation about the furry loves of our lives. Turns out he not only had a beloved lab, but also a beloved GSP... so we have both of those things in common!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful progress! ~Ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friday morning, 8:20 a.m., Josh is back and he brought a friend for today's work.

      Ember is a little on the cray cray side this morning. Too much crate time yesterday and too many "good stuff" treats: she turned up her nose at her regular breakfast food, holding out for something "better". She rolled the snoop under furniture, jumped up a bunch, and I resorted to dropping regular kibble on the floor for "treasure hunt".

      Eventually we got enough food in her to calm her down, we got the harness on, and survived the battle of the leash to get out the door. Walkies done, peanut butter and good treats to lure her into the crate to start the workday for these guys, maybe 20 minutes-half an hour before their arrival.

      Whew! Imma gonna need that weekend off!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I'm not sure if I'm jealous of your project or the fact you have someone do it! Yay Ember for tolerating noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? She's a gun dog breed! Noise is not a particular issue.

      This firm does my HVAC, my plumbing, and my electrical work, and I have had great experiences with them on every kind of work they've ever done for me. Worth. Every. Penny. And partly because they believe in apprentice training!

      Ember is now back into her den for the afternoon session. We've had two walks and a ride in the car (during which she unfastened her seat belt, but stayed in the back seat the whole time through the drive-through pharmacy). Good girl!

      Delete
  5. Looked like my bathroom did after day 1; except I had a giant piece of my ceiling missing, too. From years of the upstairs bathroom leaking into mine🀒
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "bones" of the house are exposed when they redo things!

      Delete

Lovable teething puppy

  What a difference a day makes!  Mommy preparing for it helps immensely! Thursday morning started much like many others.  Let the cat in an...