Sunday, June 23, 2024

X-Pen

 I finally set it up, as a test run.

It's like pitching a tent.  I have set it up in a part of the back yard, on the part that is NOT new sod.  It took me a bit, but I was able to set it up by myself.

I expect I won't go out to Sunday morning's lake gather. It's a 27-minute drive, per Google, for this weekend's planned spot.  Ember might actually be able to handle that, if she's not too full, and is tired enough to just chill out. 

However, at this point, I would want to take the X-Pen along as a place for her to be while the people are doing their thing.  It's new.  She hasn't even tried it out yet.  I haven't even taken it down and measured it for if it would fit in the hatch of the car.  I think we have a few more steps of prep work before taking this tool to a park!

I have left the X-pen in the backyard overnight and plan to introduce Ember to it after our morning walk.  The grass will be wet, it will be cool, etc.

On Saturday, I did the "ice on the deck" thing again after I'd set up the X-pen.  Have to have a way to keep Ember interested and cool enough to focus on the task at hand (pee and poo).  After that was taken care of Ember was content to nap on the cool tile floor for a while.

The peanut butter flavored "teething ring" treat was not in favor for about a week.  Saturday she was OK with it.  How frequently a treat is offered is part of its value.  Which is why things like "tripe", "chicken livers", "venison", etc. become the highest valued rewards in training treats.

Currently, the favored lure for willingly / joyfully entering her crate is whipped cream.  I just squirt about a tablespoon onto her Kong or Pupsickle, that's filled with its regular stuff, put it in the back of the crate, and in she goes!

Whew! Ember demanded a 4th walk Saturday, telling me, effectively, she did not care how hot it was outside, she needed to get out, already!  We walked at 6 a.m., 9:09 a.m., 1:51 p.m., and 5:01 p.m.  I have to be careful to keep these short, because whether she thinks ahead to the availability of fresh, clean water or not, her Mommy does!

The memory card for the camera had arrived by the time we headed out for that 5:01 p.m. walk, so there was a game of "search" the treats on the front porch while mommy saved it from Ember's curiosity!  After the walk, and after Ember went into her "mommy's suppertime" crate time, Mommy looked up the installation instructions for the memory card for that camera, and went downstairs to complete that task!  Yay!  I now have access (should I ever need it) to recordings from both front and back cameras.

Other Saturday Ember activities:  

  • grooming the cat until the cat would not take it anymore!
  • Playing fetch in the house with mommy
  • Turning up our nose at the food puzzle games
  • Accepting kibble fed by hand by her mommy, as though she was a little puppy.  Sometimes I think she just wants the comfort of still being "the baby".
  • And of course, puppy naps.  They are so important to healthy growth.

Life is Good.  Spark on!

10 comments:

  1. I still can't get over the fact that the Prisoner let's Ember do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think The Prisoner went to the MLK school of "Passive resistance". After all, he's 13 years old! And Ember is being as gentle as she knows how... she's not biting down, she's grooming.

      Delete
  2. ALICIA363

    Ember’s got the idea - short, frequent walks when it’s hot. Even now, it’s hard for me to adapt to that canine need - I want to do my human stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her Sunday morning walks were longer, as it was cooler. But my efforts at indoor play are causing the jumping up, mouthing reaction. So time-out was earned. Sigh.

      Thanks for the book loan. Even five minutes of peace on the new paver patio was heavenly!

      Delete
  3. A portable play-pen for a canine pets. Who da thunk it? Great idea!!
    That should allow for more outings with friends and family. Assembly will become easier with more use, or so I would think. At an outing there should be helping hands for assembly.
    I have a date with the lawn tractor~late morning. Cooler today...88*. Cooler is relative as tomorrow is predicted to be in the triple digits again. There's a nice wind, so I should be ok. Hotter days ahead.
    The three of you stay cool and hydrated. Happy Sunday! πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸ˜ΈπŸΆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Triple digits? We're headed for 93F here today, per the weather app. You stay hydrated, too!

      Delete
  4. Good job getting the pen up! Yes, best to get Ember used to it before NEEDING it.

    LOL! Smiling that she likes whipped cream. So does Miss Lilly!

    Yes, really didn’t get much walking in w/Miss Lilly yesterday due to . . . rain/storms. But today is cloudy and dry (so far) so she’s getting her walkies!

    Wow! Prisoner is pretty patient to let Ember groom her, even for a little while!

    YES! Just like a toddler, they are growing up and maturing, but . . . still want that ‘security blanket’ of being the baby!

    Hugs and here’s to a successful Sunday.

    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet tooth, Miss Lilly? Ember seems to have it, too. At this rate, I'd best stock it on the regular.

      I'm calling my efforts at Sunday "games" indoors with Ember a fail, in that the reaction was to jump up on me and mouth my hands and arms. She ended up in time out only an hour after being allow out of the den.

      Hope you have a calm, peaceful Sunday!

      Delete
  5. I just love the picture of Ember and Prisoner, so much I made hubby come and see it too. Prisoner has that - whatever look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! "Whatever" is a good descriptor. It can morph into "longsuffering", and later into "that's ENOUGH!" Kind of like Mommy's response to some of Ember's overly energetic play.

      Delete

I did say I have a digger on my hands

  Ember's latest efforts, from Thursday morning.  She had started on this hole Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe even before that.  But as of ...