Thursday, June 27, 2024

Lovable teething puppy

 

What a difference a day makes!  Mommy preparing for it helps immensely!

Thursday morning started much like many others.  Let the cat in and fed him.  Got the dog up for pee, poo, and breakfast.  I wonder if the fact that I did not put her in the harness when first out made the difference, but she did not go after me like she did the day before.  Perhaps she's just feeling better in the teeth?



We were out for first walk at 5:53 a.m.  On this walk, my luck with avoiding the squirrel tail ran out.  I thought when it "disappeared" from the spot I expected it to be in that someone had collected it and put it in the trash.

Not so!  It had just migrated to the other side of the sidewalk.  Ember was clearly following a scent of some sort going back and forth and up and down the sidewalk, and found it!  Not only did she find it, she started chewing on it, and honest to gosh, I believe she swallowed it.

Oh, well.  Extra fiber and adventures in figuring out "what's that in the poop?"  

But back to preparations:  last night after she was tucked in, I went out and discarded all the fragments of cycle pad that she had chewed off, and strategically placed the "giant teething toy" a.k.a. a 20 year old indestructible garbage can along the fence.

This made for fine large muscle exercise as well as teething.  

I got an email from the landscaper that he was sending someone out to fill the sandbox Thursday, so I waved off the personal training session, since when the landscapers come, it's usually around the same time as the session.  I did not want to miss them, because the "little leftover bits" are usually the ones I'm most particular about.

They were tasked with filling the sandbox, "stabilizing" the steps from the patio to the yard (there's a wobbly one there), and fixing the splintered gate post.

Graham informed me that there is another bit I didn't have on my list:  they need to extend one of the downspouts out front so it goes beyond the retaining wall into the yard, not into the river rock bed.

I also went through the exercise of thinking about Ember's reluctance to eat her regular meals, and started using the new puzzle feeder strategically as well.  I placed a few treats among the regular kibble, so that when she searches for the treats, she realizes this other stuff isn't so bad, either, and it fills the belly.

I now have a nice, filled sandbox.  The one step is still wobbly, and the men left to get the downspouts (one for me, one for another client), saying they will be back to finish.  I'll be on the lookout.for their return, to see if they know that step is still wobbly!

Ember was very happy that they came, because it meant extra attention to her.  

We also made some progress on the fetch/wait games the dog trainer gave me to work with her on.  I was so proud when without leash attached, she did the "wait" for the tennis ball as cued.  Then "oops", this only worked when I rolled it in the same direction/room we'd trained with before.  Dogs do not always generalize their training to other locations / environments.

A little later, we did the game with her Holey Roller out on the deck and the patio a little later, and it only took two "wait" with foot on leash for her to generalize it for that toy.

She hadn't seen the Holey Roller in a while, as it was one of the toys that got her SO excited the teeth came out, and Mommy had put it away in self-preservation mode.  But in a brainwave, Mommy wanted to toss the holey roller into the trash can, to simulate an agility tunnel, and see what she would do.  She did great, by the way.

Speaking of agility, next week the dog trainers are taking July 3rd (Wednesday) off, and I didn't want her to miss a week of training, so we are going to celebrate the holiday week by having her do a "Puppy Agility" class on Tuesday evening, and the "Puppy Plus" class will come along just fine on the 10th.

So life is good in Emberville this fine Thursday. It is not as hot as it was early in the week, and it looks as though we might get a little rain.  We heard some fireworks about 10 p.m. last night, but Ember was in her crate for the night already at that point, and unphased.

Spark on, my friends! 

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like Ember was feeling better with her teeth.

    OMGOMGOMG! Ember ate a squirrel tail?? EWWWWWWW!!! And it takes a lot to make this nurse grossed out! Majoy yuck!

    Sounds like things are good in Emberville. PHEW. Takes time, doesn’t it.

    HOPE that wobbly step was fixed.

    Here’s to a good Thursday night.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... it really did not look gross, Barb! And it had been there several days, so if it was going to truly be gross, it would be. She nosed around the spot where she'd demolished it on our 3 p.m. walk, too, but it's gone for good now.

      It rained about 2 p.m. and I have not seen the return of the guys, so I'll test it again tomorrow! Almost the 4th of July, people! Can you believe it?

      Delete
  2. Oh, our dog Diesel had one of those holey balls; it was fairly flexible. She was a smart girl, needing stimulation, so we smooshed a ping-pong ball and forced it inside. It kept her remarkably busy off and on for months as she tried to figure out how to get the ping-pong ball out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thought... a dog-sized "cat toy", with that ping-pong ball inside!

      Delete
  3. ALICIA363
    What a good day! Hope those guys finish the job. Almost the 4th and a grassy yard to play in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't had a chance to assess whether they did. It would have had to be while Ember and I were out walking if they did. I figured I would check this morning (Friday), but so far I've been kind of busy with you-know-who and various training and exercise and feeding things.

      I thought we'd made it safely 'round our windy route when we got to our very own yard, where someone had tossed... get this... a fudgesickle wrapper. Probably got xylotol as well as chocolate, both toxic to dogs. I had to promise her cheese, and even then, I think she got several licks in!

      Oh, yes, I delivered on the cheese. She's napping now, thank goodness.

      Delete
  4. Squirrel jerky!

    OMG she is such a chewer. I hope this phase finishes soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! LOL @ Squirrel jerky! Speaking of jerky, some of the treats I got her that were supposed to be pork/bacon jerky flavor smelled like plastic to me. Has it been THAT long since I had bacon? Anyway, she didn't like 'em, so won't spend my money on those any more.

      Delete
  5. Oscar was a lover of rawhide bones. I know they've gone out of favor now. Chewy has deer antlers to chew but I'm not crazy about them either. The Nylabone was turned down by both dogs.
    Winnie just like to chew groundhogs and snakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ember is fussy about some things, and indiscriminate about others. On Saturday morning's walk, she found a discarded plastic water bottle at the entrance to the park, and carried it proudly across the street toward home, stopping in the yard across the street from our house. She stayed and chewed on that bottle for 10 minutes. I chose my battle in waiting until she was "done" and ready to walk around our normal block. Dogs have personalities all their own, don't they?

      Delete

Sometimes the silence is wonderful

  Ember was in the midst of her morning crate time when this photo was snapped out on my paver patio.  She went in at about 7:30 a.m., havin...