Friday, June 14, 2024

The last little piece of sod

 

Here's the little hole, before it got filled.

And here it is as the last piece is laid into the hole.

All that's left to do for both the sod, and the overseeding (which was done yesterday, according to the crew), is water-water-water for the next three weeks, 3 times a day.



Early morning (as in about 5:45 a.m.), while the new zone 8 was active, we went out to discover there's this extra buried sprinkler head, bubbling up out of the ground, leaving a puddle, not spraying.

Now if I had my say, I would disconnect that one, perhaps, because that's supposed to be a sandbox and a rock bed in that spot at the end of the patio.  But we will see what Nate has to say about it.  The heads that were closest to the house on the front side all got disconnected when the river rock and patio pavers were installed over there.  We didn't even know this head existed at that point in time!

Per Josh, this will be his last day here, finishing up with the tub/shower conversion.  Once he's painted and installed the baseboards, and tested the waterproofing, I'm to give it 24 hours and then it's ready for regular use.

Ember got a nice walk in this morning before Josh got here, and car ride followed by a short one about 10-ish. 

She got in trouble with Josh's booties again after that short walk, while on leash in the house and mommy was trying to keep her contained while she did some human things.  Sigh.  Sometime in the 1 p.m. hour, she got in worse trouble by nibbling at mom's ankles.  One could say it was mom's fault for putting on shorts, but seriously... she needs to know mom has ankles underneath the jeans she normally wears.

Anyway, mom couldn't turn around and "ignore".  Not that she was physically incapable, but she was shy of the teeth being applied and the jumping she'd experienced before when trying the "ignore".  Mom put her hands in the little canine's mouth, told her "no, that's Mommy", "We don't bite mommy", etc.  This is not the trainer recommended protocol.  Anyway, scruff, collar, belly, I ended up hefting the entire puppy up and crooning at her to listen to my heartbeat and settle down.  Eventually I got her settled and into the crate... where she is served a "time out".  Mommy deserves that time-out, a.k.a. a break!

Examining my limbs after the fact, although it was a full-on tussle, only two new band-aids needed.  She really is not biting me as hard, she really is learning to gentle it down, but it was just too frustrating and tempting at the same time.

Later:  Guarding the steps down to the family room.

A little whining

Mine, not Ember's, whine.  Just as Josh was cleaning up and packing up and was going to be done with the job, one of his heaviest tools fell to the floor, damaging the linoleum.

Aaargh!  It's a tiny little ding, mind you, but it is indeed a ding.

So, they will replace my bathroom floor.  Gratis.  He offered even to upgrade to a different kind of flooring if I wanted.  I responded I don't want to make any more decisions (I'm moving into tantrum stage here, I was ready for this project to be done, this was day 6, and now there is going to be a day 7).

So, tomorrow, Josh's brother-in-law will show up and install a gray shade of linoleum to match/harmonize with the shower walls and paint.  Josh, it turns out, has no experience laying linoleum.

My main beef is that Ember is clearly suffering from the extended confinement, and I'm using up social energy myself!  If I'm suffering, you can imagine that she has no idea if there will ever be a finish line to this situation!

I mean, it's nice they are replacing the floor, but I would so much rather have had the time in my own home, without extra coming and going and restrictions on my dog's freedom.  It's bad enough I have to keep her from her back yard for three more weeks of sod-watering!

end of whine

After everyone left and Ember was fed, I tried to keep her up, and decided to toss some of her indoor toys, but she got so excited and out came the teeth again, nipping at my ankles and hamstrings.  I got her calmed down, but I'm despairing of enjoying simple interactive games like tug and fetch.

I called the training place and scheduled a private session for us a week from today.  With the specific goal of learning how to play fetch and tug without driving each other crazy.  Her teeth coming out and her getting crazy excited brings out the negative reinforcement in me.  Not good.  Clearly my dog and I are not communicating effectively around this subject.  She looks sad about it.  I feel like a failure over it, too.

Anyway, I am hoping that Friday goes smoothly and I can have a relaxing weekend.  I may not do the Father's Day lake outing with my daughter in law and her parents.  Too long a drive and for not enough proper enrichment for Ember.  What she really needs is some off leash time in a safe space.  What I really need is some peaceful easy days with her, bonding!

Pray for us!

Life is good.  Life is good.  Keep repeating it:  Life is Good!  Spark on!

14 comments:

  1. After all that bathroom drama I might have lived with the dent in the tile just to get rid of the people but that is me. I get to a point and I just can't do it and if I can't leave then I push everyone out. I might bite the tile guy - LOL. Anyway, I am sure it is so very hard with a puppy and all the stuff going on. I will keep you in my prayers too. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that the sodding and overseeding is done now. Happy watering (no so happy water bill!)

    And an end in sight to the shower installation! Awesome. I wondered if you would be able to bathe Ember in there, too. Lilly will not cooperate in a tub but will in the shower.

    OH NO on the dinged linoleum! *SIGH* At least they’ll replace it (as they should) gratis. UGH. Always something.

    Oh Ember! Ankles are NOT for nibbling! Yes, unfortunately, that would earn a time out.

    I can only imagine after all these projects both you and Ember are over-peopled. Hope the laying of the flooring in the bathroom goes quickly and back to normal programming for you both!

    Well, that’s good that you and Ember have a private training session to help with the nipping and getting over-excited issue.

    Yes, you definitely need some peaceful time. So does Ember!

    Hugs and have a good weekend.

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, for the ear for the vent and the understanding. I'd best be able to bathe Ember there, as there's no tub in the house any more!

      Peace! Wonderful peace! Soon.

      Delete
  3. After all the construction and yard confusion, maybe an outing to the lake will be good for both of you. The chance to play with Carl, with other humans, and activities to tap into the excess energy for Ms. Blueberry. Human interaction and conversations for you.
    Enjoy your Friday! πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸΆπŸ˜Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only thing is, the lake is a 40 minute car ride, and Ember is prone to car sickness. She would have to be on leash the whole time while at the lake, too. If she doesn't do well there, then it's another 40 minute car right home.

      It might, in the end, be Mommy's over-peopling canceling if that's what happens. And if I don't cancel, I'm hoping that I am not being overly optimistic and end up wearing myself out with it all, and not having the energy for Ember on my "clear liquids only" day on Monday! One day at a time. If Saturday goes well, we shall see about Sunday morning.

      Hope your Friday's a good one, too, and that you have a good weekend ahead.

      Delete
  4. PHOENIX1949

    Just consulted my friend Google to read about 'overseeding' a lawn (new term to me). Interesting. I think this was automatically done without discussing the term with me as an option when we had drip irrigation installed and new fill dirt covered by sod with shade resistant strains of grass where needed. Overhead PVC drip lines were used for a few weeks while new lawn settled in with the new buried drip lines as part of the initial package quote.

    We have been blessed with nice rains over the past week and our lawn is very green and flower bed weeds are very tall. Triple-digits, with and without heat index, plaguing us here about two months before our usual hottest part of the year.

    House built 1981, purchased by us 1984, major upgrades done 2001 and again in 2021 with several pricey things since then with HVAC system plus new ductwork and walk-in safety tub the biggest expenses. Goal was/is/was/is/was/is to remain here. Alas, my hometown of about 125K in 1967 when I finished high school has grown to 1M with a metroplex population of almost 1.5M. Crazy taxes and utilities for our house that is valued at over 500% of purchase price and rising every year far beyond the 25% increase factor figured into retirement plans! Traffic & crime increases along with auto & home insurance all ridiculously high too!

    Tomorrow we are attending an open house 55 miles NE of us that is in a much smaller community with much lower taxes -- been researching this property over the past month. SIGH! Big decision-making research in progress. Cancer progress follow-up in late July will dictate next steps of move/not move fence that is unsettling. Two pro's are baby sister's new place 14 minutes away from this house (same as when she left here) and area is an International Dark Sky Community with starry, starry skies.

    Hugs and wishes for things to settle down with the nipping, etc. More people around and projects 'in the works' definitely counter the routines needed to train a puppy. Patience and love will win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally in harmony with your goal to stay put (or not), and with town growth and the consequent growth in market value of the house and the tax bill!

      Here's hoping the visit to that open house helps you with the decision-making! And of course the health picture is a HUGE part of any decision. Oooh... dark, starry skies! That's surely an attractor!

      I was grateful that the floor was done by 1 p.m. and I had a relatively calm afternoon with Ember, at peace with one another in the end. She's in her den now, and I'm playing online catch-up!

      Delete
  5. After all the peopleing, you and Ember could probably use a quiet Sunday at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite possibly! We shall see how Saturday goes.

      Delete
  6. I was told I would be without access to my shower for a week, which turned into 2, which for me turned into over a month, because I refused to mop up water coming out of the new shower door onto the new floor🀦🏻‍♀️ I was showering at they gym the whole timeπŸ™„
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes the gym membership worth it, doesn't it?

      Delete
  7. ALICIA363

    Good job momming on the ankle biter! Every relationship is as unique as the two beings in it. You’ll have things that work for you and Ember that trainers may not globally advise.
    That being said, I hope the private trainer session helps you both enjoy play time more! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when the trainer session does not result in my adopting exactly what they recommend, it does give me more information from which to draw my own conclusions.

      This morning (Saturday), I put on my rain jacket, which of course got Ember all excited and jumpy and nippy. I just fed her treats while telling her, "It's still Mommy. I'm just wearing a coat." And she calmed down (over the course of many repetitions of treat/calm talk).

      She is a smart puppy and she will learn whatever I teach her, intentionally or unintentionally! This morning we are watching the live stream of Trooping the Color from the UK. Apparently it is raining there, too.

      Delete

I did say I have a digger on my hands

  Ember's latest efforts, from Thursday morning.  She had started on this hole Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe even before that.  But as of ...