Sunday, June 2, 2024

Hot weather and a dark coat.

Not the best combination, is it, Ember?

It was 80℉ on Saturday afternoon.  Let's try out the pool!  

I had not had the pool out while the yard was flagged and we were "on leash" even in the back yard.  But since the sprinkler dude said she could be loose back there and he didn't care about the flags possibly going missing, I decided I need the extra tools to keep this dog busy and engaged!

Then of course she comes inside trailing water from her toes as she runs from room to room.

What I don't know is if he realizes how proficient this puppy is at taking out the flags.  Will he be OK if they are ALL gone?

She is removing the yard flags, one or two each trip outside!  I hope the sprinkler repair guys know that they are likely to be missing several by Monday!  I know she's taken 3 of the pink ones (marking the sprinkler heads), four of the orange ones (marking buried cable), and so far, two red ones (power lines underground).

  


Did I mention that I decided to try out the "cut resistant" sleeves recommended by my kid sis?  They got some for her hubby when their dog was new to the household and was nipping just him.  

I was concerned that if I wore sleeves, she would just bite harder.  The sleeves and a pair of similar gloves were delivered on Friday, so I started to try them out Friday evening.

My concerns seem to be well founded.  That was a wasted investment, perhaps.  But at least I know.  When I wear the gloves, Ember things it's an interactive chew toy!

Thus ended the experiment in protective clothing!  Thing is, it's almost Summer.  Ordinary people she meets will not be dressed in protective gear.  And isn't that what they use to train guard dogs TO attack?  Gear up the target?

We'll see what the Zoom Room trainers have to offer come Tuesday.  But I'm slowly assimilating and deciding that the disruption in her life lately is a factor, as is her age (4 months is usually the start of the potential teething phase), and the signals I give when correcting her that could in themselves be encouraging "the game".  Many, many factors and distractions in a puppy's life.

Middle of the night bonding

I woke up about 11:15 p.m. and headed down to offer middle of the night potty break to my little fur-baby.  She came out and headed straight to the couch, no interest in going outside at all.  This time I trusted her, and I stretched out on the other side of the couch.  From then until about 1:15 a.m. it was a quiet time of snoozing a bit, re-establishing trust a bit, and eventually her head on my lap and even on my shoulder at one point.  Soothing words and pets, the apology that a dog and her human give one another.

She let me know she needed to go out in subtle ways, and I opened the sliding door for her to go do her business in the night, then made her a treat to take back into her den for the rest of the night.

At this point The Prisoner came in, and I fed him his breakfast, 3 hours early!  He did some rubbing up and so on, as cats do.  Then I climbed the stairs to my own bed, where I slept until 4:15 or so.  It was a cool and wet morning, with occasional rumbles of thunder and light rain.

Ember had a zoomies session triggered by one of those rumbles, and then she did her business before coming back in.  We had breakfast for her in the 5 a.m. hour, interrupted by various play sessions, indoors and out.  She resisted the harness when she was being such a good girl, so we went back to the tried and true, four paws into the den, a little settle time, then she lets me put it on in exchange for a treat.

And we went on a leash walk around our normal block between the showers.  And managed to navigate both leaving and returning to the house without stealing any additional flags.  I am so grateful to have the fenced back yard cleared for her to run in this weekend.  I am trying to keep things as close to the normal routine she's used to as possible today.  Because on Monday, the sprinkler guys are coming back.

Life is good.  Spark on!

10 comments:

  1. Due to the litigious nature of some people, I would be concerned about "Ordinary people she meets will not be dressed in protective gear."
    I sure hope the trainers will provide answers.
    Poor kitty. A good thing he can't tell time. 😼
    Enjoy the remainder of Sunday! πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸ˜ΈπŸΆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about protecting ourselves from litigious reactions by training well! I'm typing this Monday morning, with my morning optimism in place.

      We got the harness on smoothly for Monday's morning walk. I changed leashed on her, and there was a tussel over who holds my end of the leash. But we navigated Bella from around the block getting off her leash during her greeting of Ember. Thankfully, Bella's daddy is an experience dog-owner, and Bella is a "mature" and well-trained adult dog. Bella went back to her daddy when called, and I held Ember in place with hands and treats. No flags were stolen this morning!

      Delete
  2. Our kitty comes up on the bed, sits beside hubby and taps his cheek until he wakes up to make her breakfast, she is gentle but persistent. I think Ember is just doing her best to make sure you are not bored, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I think Ember is just trying to figure out the world and her place in it. And to a student of psychology and intelligence and learning, that is fascinating. You are right, I will never be bored with her.

      She very much wants to be a "good dog", I can tell. Right now she's on the couch behind me, snoring softly while the DogTV piano music calms us both.

      And by the way, I thank two Canadian dog trainers for putting out excellent training videos that help me even between sessions with the in person classes and trainers. McCann Dogs is one, Shaped by Dog with Susan Garret is the other.

      Delete
  3. No, for sure a dark coat and 80F weather is not a good mix. Glad you were able to get Ember in the pool. And oh no on those gloves! *SIGH*

    Sounds like it was a fairly decent day yesterday, so that’s good. For sure, being able to be in her back yard, her territory, may help!

    Here’s to a good Monday.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. So far a good start to Monday. She gobbled up her Simparicatrio (flea, tick, heartworm prevention), which she takes every 30 days. I'm going to have to weigh her before her next one is due. I think she'll probably still be good with this dose, but so far I've been getting them one tablet at a time from the vet because of the whole growth curve thing.

      Delete
  4. Oh Miss Lilly absolutely loves her flea/tick and heartworm pill 'treats' Yes, have to be careful when they're pups to have it weight appropriate. Good luck!

    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next trick will be getting her on the scale with me. So far I've been able to weigh me, then pick her up and weigh us together. Not sure I can do that any more!

      Delete
  5. Yay for the puppy pool!!! We had the sweetest little black cocker spaniel who was black but for one little bit of white on his chest; we had him cut short at the beginning of each summer at the vet's recommendation because it gets into the triple digits here each summer, and our elevation means the sun is strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that you had a vet's advice on clipping versus not clipping. Different breeds have different needs, and sometimes the coat will be protective from the heat, and should not be clipped. Good thing there are experts out there willing to share their knowledge!

      Delete

Lovable teething puppy

  What a difference a day makes!  Mommy preparing for it helps immensely! Thursday morning started much like many others.  Let the cat in an...