Saturday, July 20, 2024

A busy Friday and a doggy Saturday

The plumbing inspector showed up as scheduled at 9 a.m.  He inspected both the shower conversion and the hot water heater installation.  He signed off on the shower, but found the gas line hookup for the hot water heater to be not up to code.  Therefore, I will have another visit coming from the plumber!  AND another inspection visit!

The bug guy arrived about 11 a.m., and quite proficiently 1) helped me lure Ember into her crate for puppy nap #2, 2) treated the inside of the house entirely, from basement to upper story, 3) treated the outside of the house, with special focus on the deck railing where those yellow jackets were harassing the animals.  He came back to the door afterward to let me know that there could be some yellow jackets come back to the nest over the next few hours, dying after the colony as a whole, since they were out foraging when he knocked the nest down and treated it.  "Keep the pets away for about 45 minutes if you can"... from the outside treatment.  The inside treatment is eco-friendly, and we had removed any pet food (human food too) and water from wherever was being treated.

The cement truck drove up in the early afternoon.

The work crew was clearly experienced with one another.  Each one took on his role with precision, right down to business.  Not a lot of talk.  It was like watching a ballet.



Then it was like icing a cake, smoothing everything out!
And in the end, it is out there drying and setting.  Keep the puppy paws away!

The water softener salt delivery brought up the rear, taking two bags from Sam, the first female tech I've had from this firm.  She did pamper Ember a bit while I signed off on the delivery.  I gave her treats with which to ply the pup.

Ember ran out of steam not too long after and went "to bed" in her crate at about 4:30 p.m. while I had my supper.

Saturday shuffle

Ember's morning walk was a bit on the short side, due to the early arrival time for Carl.  Both dogs were super excited about this visit, although they have no clue about time or anything of that nature.

My son, as he was leaving, both dogs rolling about having a blast, said, "This may be the first time he doesn't even notice I'm leaving!"  

Anyway, they wore each other out in short order, but Ember doesn't always realize when she's worn out.    

She was having nothing to do with the idea of going into the den.  Not even whipped cream and extra treats could outdo having a real live Carl to wrestle with!

Eventually, I shut Carl out in the back yard, on the deck, while I lured her into her crate for puppy nap #1, at about 8 a.m.

She fussed about her confinement longer than usual, but I just went about my business (like updating this blog entry).

 



I let Carl back in to chill on his own, with a treat.  Now I have to scoot, as Carl is barking.  Cross your fingers for us.

Life is Good.  Spark on!


 

8 comments:

  1. Oh lord! That’s kinda scary that the gas line hookup for the hot water heater isn’t up to code. Hope the plumber gets there sooner than later to fix that. *SIGH*

    Glad the bug guy was there and took care of the nest. PHEW.

    Nice that the sidewalk is now poured and that it went so well! Nice to see workers actually doing a good job and working together!

    Safe travels to your DS and DDIL.

    Awesome that Carl and Ember wore each other out. Mission accomplished!

    Busy days.

    Hugs and blessings
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, nothing unsafe, but something that might affect performance of the water heater intermittently, says the inspector. He said I'm fine using it as I wait for the plumber to come fix it.

      Ember did not rest long on puppy nap #1, but was showing signs of fatigue and I put her in for puppy nap #2 early. Now Carl is flat out on my bed while she's crated. Whew!

      Busy days indeed!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad the yellow jackets are sorted! Though it's not on the level of man with a knife, it's a constant low-grade concern about getting stung or Ember getting stung ... wearing.

    So sorry to hear about the extra work and inspection due to the gas line hook-up. Probably still safe, but better to err on the side of caution.

    I know you and your bank account will be glad when all this is all the way done. But, oh what a lovely, well functioning home you'll have to be cozy in. And most of those repair things won't be due again for years. You, Prisoner and Ember will feel positively Zen peaceful without all the extra coming/going/noise/restrictions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing about that, while I know I'll be zen peaceful, I'm not sure my extroverted lab will like the "peace", and might be prone to getting in trouble. Gonna have to stay on my toes!

      Delete
  3. Maybe you'll get some alone time with the 'kids' playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carl and I napped together while Ember was in her crate. That was sweet. Precious Carl-Grandma bonding time!

      Delete
  4. A paw print in the wet cement for posterity's sake. Cooperation from Ms. Blueberry would be a sight to behold. 😉😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and my kid sis Alicia would get on well, Jeanne! She suggested the same thing! But no, it's set well enough now, no paw prints.

      Delete

Manipulating the environment

Did I mention that trying to "manipulate the environment" so that Ember doesn't rehearse undesirable behaviors has caused me t...