Saturday, July 13, 2024

Some cool memories on a hot day

 

Y'all saw this one filled with "clear liquid" during my June preparations for medicalizing.  Today it's about five fluid ounces of diet caffeine free cola.  But I'm serving it to myself in my "Kevin memorial" wine glass, from the last race that we participated in on the same day:  he PR'd the marathon distance that day.  I just plodded through the half, being grateful that only 3 marathoners (who gave us both half the distance and a half hour head start) passed me before I crossed the finish line.

This was me.  It rained at the start and got warm as we ran.

Somewhere I have the photo of Kevin ringing the bell for his PR...

A-hah!  Here it is!  I took this photo.  He knew he was on PR pace as he came over the bridge to the finish line street, so that smile is his incredible joy in that accomplishment!

Friday "loose ends" of home improvement

Nate stopped by in the afternoon, fixed the gate post, reset the wobbly step, and added to the downspout extension on the other side of the house.  Still waiting on the sidewalk cement pouring, but for the most part going to call it "done".  The budget will not stand for anything more.  Have to save the emergency fund for a real emergency at this point!



Saturday morning report

I decided this is the day:  Ember must learn to accept me in shorts and not shred my leg skin!  So I braced myself and went downstairs.

She started to gnaw on the socks (ankles), yes, but I had treats ready, reminded her that this is mommy, the same mommy, I'm just dressed differently.  Mommy's the one who gives you treats and kibble, little one.

She was hungry this morning, so didn't have as much trouble getting her to eat before walkies.  We survived a Saturday morning walk in a humid 74 degree day.  On the minus side, she continued the destruction of the wingback chair, and got it down to the wood, removing a piece and exposing staples.  So, I let The Prisoner distract Ember on the deck while I cleaned up and removed the chair from my parlor.  It's now sitting in the garage and will go out with next week's trash.  I have determined it is not salvageable.  At least not within my own skill set.  Sigh.

I got to puppy nap #1 (she's in the crate).  Pray for our HOT weekend ahead, as we're predicted to be back in triple digits on Sunday.

Life may have its ups and downs, but Life is Good!  Spark on!

6 comments:

  1. Great way to remember your brother. I am sure he approves! Wonderful pictures of you and also of Kevin ringing the bell for his PR best.

    Well, you got lots done. Yes, it reaches a point where you have to replenish the funds!

    Hot and humid here, too. Short, frequent walks as needed for Miss Lilly. No long walks today. And yes, our weather is supposed to be quite uncomfortably warm and humid this weekend, actually til Tuesday. So . . . planning accordingly.

    Here’s to a peaceful weekend.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, time to pull in the horns and replenish the funds. Live within my means, meaning income. All this major home improvement was dis-saving!

      Your weather forecast is similar to ours. Just hoping to survive the days when walks are "too hot"... short outings into the back yard with water seem to be in order.

      Delete
  2. Heat advisory for us through Tuesday. Ugh!! Think cool thoughts!⛄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds very familiar! Got the puppy pool out today!

      Delete
  3. Great trip down memory lane…both you and Kevin looked so fit and happy!! Sorry about the wingback…that must be so frustrating for you….I hope Ember loses her baby teeth soon so that she’ll stop using your arms and legs as a teething ring! Karen (Eissa7)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope she doesn't destroy a couch as well! One day at a time with a fur-baby!

      Delete

Manipulating the environment

Did I mention that trying to "manipulate the environment" so that Ember doesn't rehearse undesirable behaviors has caused me t...