Friday, July 19, 2024

A quiet Thursday

 

Look... the guys came to frame up the sidewalk for concrete Thursday afternoon.  Ember wanted to go out and "supervise" but this crew did not seem to welcome her presence, so we went back into the backyard and played a little fetch.

It looks very nice at this point, but it will look much better once the concrete is poured (hopefully tomorrow afternoon).

Friday is going to be a day of comings and goings here in Emberville.  We not only have the bug guys (scheduled for between 10 a.m. and noon), but also the plumbing inspector (scheduled for 9 a.m.) and a delivery of water softener salt, which is not scheduled, they just call when they are getting close to our neighborhood.

Saturday will be the big challenge of Carl arriving at 6:30 a.m. and staying until 6 p.m. while my son and his wife go to a funeral service several hours' drive away.  It will be a good solid test of our future hopes of having the dogs share quarters when one owner or the other has commitments or travel.

How two dogs with two separate sets of needs and rules will survive sharing one human... Ember normally takes 3 crate naps in a day... we shall see how that holds up under the temptation of having the big dog present.  Carl is used to being allowed pretty much free rein at Grandma's house but being handed the toys.  Ember now has her bin of always available toys, which Carl will clearly be able to find and nab, too.  So far in each of their shared visits they have not shown any signs of "resource guarding" as one online trainer I tune in to calls it.

Both have pretty good manners as far as letting me cook and waiting their turns for their share (I always make sure there is at least a little that is their share).  I'll see if they eat each other's dog food, etc. and if they are good at recognizing the need for a break in play and "go to your corner".  Carl doesn't have a "corner" at my house, but Ember definitely does (her den/crate).  Thank goodness I now have the fenced back yard available to separate the two if needed!

If necessary, plan B is to call in the reserves, in the form of my daughter in law's parents, who would willingly "dog-sit" Carl at his own house if things go South here.  I am hopeful that things will go well.  And I am really glad that my son will be able to attend this particular funeral.

If it turns out I don't have time to blog again until Sunday, well, I figure you'll all understand!

Life is good.  Spark on!

10 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow. Sounds like you will have your hands full. πŸ€žπŸΌπŸ€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will accept all the luck and good wishes offered. So far on Friday the plumbing inspector has been here, and the bug guy... just one to go. I need to keep Ember confined while the yellow jackets on the deck die off over the next couple of hours, and the indoors has been treated with "the most eco-friendly" stuff they offer, it won't hurt the pets unless they drink it. However, he would not recommend she eat the dead yellow jackets (treated outdoors).

      Hope your life is going well... I owe you an e-mail!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a busy day in Emberville today! Good luck!

    HOPE all goes well with Carl and Ember being together. You’ll be busy!

    Glad you at least have a back up plan if things don’t work well!

    Fingers crossed, good luck.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good! Only one service appointment left, the softener salt delivery!

      Crossed fingers and lucky wishes added to the pot for Saturday!

      Hope you have a fine weekend, too!

      Delete
  3. PHOENIX1949

    Hope all goes well tomorrow. Contingency plans in place just in case sounds like a solid plan to me. Spouse chides me for having multiple items in place and I tell him this literal, anal-retentive person took her Girl Scott Motto to heart.

    Had my post-op exam related to cancer journey yesterday. Good news that area resected shows healthy blood vessels feeding my kidney and no new tumor activity! Big exhale on my part. Now will have three more BCG treatments next month (a week apart) and follow up with Doc again in mid-Oct. Moving in the right direction although not 'home free' yet.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the former Girl Scouts I know still take that motto to heart!

      Were I in your situation, Susan, I would grab hold of and cherish each piece of good news as it arrives. That report is good news indeed! Feel free to breathe!

      Delete
  4. Oh ... maybe one or more of those workers have been bitten on the job, so worry about that. My dad and uncles worked for the electric utility; dangerous job requiring caution. Most frequent injury for the workers ... dog bites/maulings as they needed to enter the property to read meters and sometimes to climb poles. Poor Ember, though. She was probably confused as she's accustomed to workers loving her up.

    I'm hoping Ember and Carl do well together Saturday, and that you are not completely pooped out with two 'children' instead of one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day they came to pour, the one worker did make a bit of fuss over her and that made her day.

      I'm trying to lean into enjoying the time with two dogs. Right now, Ember is down for puppy nap #2 in her crate, and Carl is stretched flat on my bed. He's always slept with me for overnights, and Ember has always been crated... so that's a blessing!

      Delete
  5. It should be ok, Carl's a big boy now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went fine, of course. Carl is such a good mentor dog for "little" Ember.

      Delete

Manipulating the environment

Did I mention that trying to "manipulate the environment" so that Ember doesn't rehearse undesirable behaviors has caused me t...