Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Why do I let Ember harass The Prisoner?

Some of you may wonder why I let this happen. I do not always do so.  Once Ember has hold of The Prisoner, if I don't have her cornered, and she has an escape route, it will turn into a game of tug, with the poor Kitty as the toy. 

That was the case on Tuesday morning.  Ember seemed to be quite full of herself.  I think a lot of this is related to the weather.  It has been so hot lately.  So when we had a cool morning, she was full of springs and raring to go. 

When we went for our regular morning walk, she nabbed something she wasn't supposed to.  She had not bothered a lawn flag for days.  But this was the morning for it.  I made her drop it.  I put it back and tried to distract her with treats.  She wasn't happy, and decided to jump and nip at me.  I turned us around and brought us home the shortest way I could.  We played chase the treat.  

She settled down for the most part once we got home and got into the "mommy fixing her oatmeal" routine.  But mommy has other things going on in her life.  One of the more urgent items is that the hot water wasn't working.

My shower in the morning was icy.  Which isn't such a bad thing when the weather's been so hot.  But it's not the best thing for hygiene to not have hot water running.  I called the plumbing place and they said can you have someone home today in case we call you.  So we hung out at home since that walk.  I waved off the personal trainer. 

Ember went into her crate a little after 8:00, and stayed there quietly until 9:45, while I made an appointment for the bug guys to come out on Friday.  Now that the landscaping is done and the new dirt followed by sod pulled in and now that the in and out of the remodel of the shower is over, it's time to take care of the introduction of new bug species. 

Upon coming out of the crate, Ember decided she wanted to play with her toys.  During her puppy nap number one, I had reorganized them and had put the toy box down closer to her level, I was going to let her choose the toy to play with.  I then put the toy box back up, and somebody wanted to get up at that level and rummage.


This was not permitted but she was rewarded for putting four paws down on the ground.  I got out the corn husk treat holder, that took a while to play with.  Then I let her outside and the fun with the cat began.  

After discovering that she was ready to drag The Prisoner in circles around the whole backyard, I determined that I was not helping.  I retreated into the house.  I decided it was time to up the diversion level. 

I got the blue pool out of the garage and leaned it against the fence on the outside.  I then took Ember's leash outside and asked if she wanted to go walkies.  She let me put it on, allowing the kitty to escape.  Then together we brought the blue pool inside the fence.  

I boiled four eggs and made Ember and myself salads for lunch.  When the plumbing place called and had someone on the way, I enticed her back into the crate.  I let her out to greet Josh the plumber after he got a chance to assess the situation.  There goes more $$$$.  I will be replacing the 14-year-old water heater.  Sigh.

OK, that's it, I say, ruminating over the bank account.  I am done.  Done.  DONE!

But we will see if karma comes back to bite, as it did in the parable of the rich man who pulled down his barns to build bigger.

Life is good.  Keep Sparking, my friends, keep Sparking!

12 comments:

  1. PHOENIX1949

    I got chill bumps both times seeing that top picture because, shortly before your first posting of it, our mobile dog groomer's 6-year-old Great Dane ripped apart the groomer's 16-year-old Chihuahua in front of her (after 6 years of tentatively tolerating one another). Groomer's attempt to stop the activity landed her in the ER with many stitches to multiple arm wounds from annoying the Great Dane by taking his 'toy' away. Shared to stress that things can change so rapidly with no warning, not shared with any intent to shame you.

    Susan

    PS - debated whether or not to hit publish but decided to go with it since I know you are a loving parent to your furchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I do harbor some fears of that kind of sudden change. I'm not sure what I will end up doing with the information, but a heads up is always appreciated. The Prisoner is an older cat. He is due for a vet visit a week from Friday. I'll see what his vet has to say about it.

      Delete
    2. Ps... What happened to the Great Dane, after the incident?

      Delete
    3. Groomer still has him. She used to have a Great Dane rescue operation as a side to the mobile grooming with 7 rescued GD's in residence when we met. When they all got adopted out she kept the puppy born to one of the seven 6 years ago.

      She was pretty careful about having one or both crated if they were in the house. That morning she turned her back for a second then remembered she needed to crate one but it was too late. She blames herself and couldn't bare to part with the GD.

      When we first got KC the Sunshine Dog 8 years ago at age 3, I would walk him around sunrise each day. About 6 months in we got attacked by a Border Collie that bit KC and lunged toward me next when his owner stepped outside to see what my yelling was about. After that I carried a small stun gun with me as the cackling noise stops most dogs in their tracks. Another homeowner on our route had two pitbulls that roamed around (we do have a leash law) -- KC would not go that direction at all after them running toward us just as their owner opened his garage door and called them -- so relieved they heeded his command.

      Another item that helps redirect attention here is a clicker (needed to ease tension between KC and Bailey, RIP). The one I bought at the pet store was not as sharp/loud as a childhood to with a clicker with Jiminey Cricket on it.

      Delete
    4. childhood 'to' = 'toy'

      Delete
    5. I totally "get" the groomer blaming herself. We have a house about two blocks away where the dog runs off leash all the time. Very well behaved, never seen leaving its yard (they might have an invisible fence). It doesn't matter to me; I do NOT take Ember up that way. It's on my route to the USPS mail box, too. But nope, don't trust those invisible fences and even the best trained dogs can have lapses.

      I would not dog-sit for another gal, even though I love dogs, because her dogs don't know me, and at the time she asked, we didn't have time for a "getting to know you" period!

      The reason I do as well as I do with Carl is because I helped raise him from puppyhood, and he respects me.

      Delete
  2. Poor Kitty will be searching for a safer abode. If she bites the hand that feeds her...scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always warn The Prisoner when Ember is about to be let out, to give him the chance to flee to high ground. Sometimes he does, sometimes he outright invites the dog's attention. I mean seriously, comes back and butts his head on her nose!

      I can't figure it.

      Delete
  3. Ember . . . still learning.

    Sorry to hear about your hot water heater. Glad the plumber could get out there, but booooooo on MORE $$$$ out the check book for a new water heater. It never ends.

    Glad you make sue Prisoner has an escape route from Ember. Sounds like it’s needed!

    Hope that Ember stops the jump and nip!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, escape routes are important for all of us. Real challenge coming up Saturday, as I will get Carl at about 6:30 a.m. and he'll be with us until about 6 p.m. while my son and his wife drive down to his Army buddy's funeral in Kansas.

      Interesting tidbit about the water heater replacement... the very observant plumber noted the Wedding announcement from my son and his wife on my 'fridge and asked how I knew them. I said he was my son, how did he know them? Turns out he's married to a cousin of my daughter in law! Small world!

      Ember had to be contained longer than usual Tuesday due to the long time it took to replace that water heater, though, so I'm hoping puppy class today gets some of her frustration worn out! Because I have a birthday "thing" to go to this evening.

      Delete
  4. While I could also relate many tragic instances of “BDLD” (Big Dog/Little Dog) interactions - something breaks down in the canine communication system, and suddenly the big dog sees the little dog as prey - cat & dog interactions are more rigidly defined (think about your halting attempts to communicate in a foreign language!). At any rate, I think the Prisoner is well-equipped to defend himself if Ember gets too “personal” - a few swats can do wonders in teaching a puppy good manners. Our “jaguar” Lucius stalks majestically amongst the big dogs, who look like his fawning subjects - but poor Gloria who cowers occasionally gets chased…

    (Val)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Prisoner, at age 13, is a wily old man. I will be most curious to see how this coming Saturday goes, when Carl comes to visit for the whole day! Prisoner would generally absent himself from anywhere near Carl. We will see.

      They form their own pack and pecking order, to mix species metaphors!

      Delete

Manipulating the environment

Did I mention that trying to "manipulate the environment" so that Ember doesn't rehearse undesirable behaviors has caused me t...