Sunday, June 20, 2021

Day 14: Carl's Saturday adventure

 

Carl behind tree.  Barb behind camera.

On Saturday, my people all went on an adventure.  This is the spot on shore they picked out from which to watch one another and me.  Me?  I'm Carl.  I'm a big boy now, over 2 years old. I'm still learning things, but mostly I know my place in the pack, and my people see that I get what I need from life.

Yesterday, they gave me a chance to try something out:  getting on a little bitty thing they call a kayak with my person, my special person!  I didn't stay long, because it was wobbly, and I like having my feet in the water!
On the kayak with Jon.
I like having my feet wet.

But then they left me on shore with Grandma while Dad and his special lady paddled away.
And further away...
Until they disappeared behind a point, in the bigger lake.
Grandma held the leash while they were gone.

While they were out of sight, Grandma tried to distract me and took me walking in the park, but I kept looking back at the spot where they disappeared, and whining.  I sometimes barked, too.  And a looooong time later... they came back!

They said they had paddled all the way around to where they normally play water fetch with me, to see if the beach was still flooded over there.  (It was.)

Then other pairs went out, but Daddy stayed with me, so I was much better about it.  I still greeted each team with an "I thought you were gone forever" look and jump and lick when they came back, though.  Have to do my job in the pack, don't you know?
Lacey and her dad.
I tried to swim after them.  See my cool life jacket? But Dad had the leash on with all the people around.
Last pair to paddle out were Grandma Barb and Lacey. 

They explored the backwaters, not the big lake, which is also what Lacey and her dad did.

And they came back safely, too.

The two grandmas swapped hats while Grandma Barb paddled.  Then after we all just sat around and chilled for a bit.
It was a great day!
Then the people packed everything up, including boats, and we headed home.  Life is good!  A dog's life makes their people's life better!

Love you, Sparkly people... you make my Grandma happy!
- Carl

27 comments:

  1. What a nice day you had, Carl. Perhaps they will do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma hopes so too, but not so often as to wear us all out!

      Delete
  2. Love the dogs life, but then you know I am all about dogs recently. Seems like a wonderful day for a dog and HIS people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are indeed all about your service dog training role! We all had a great time.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a magnificent adventure for you, Carl, AND your peeps!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was even another dog "camping" with the folks down the way. And we spotted one on a power boat, happy to be with his/her people. What kind of adventures does your Lily get?

      Delete
  4. Carl, Thanks for sharing yesterday's adventure with the peeps. Looks like a good time was had by all. Yes. You do make the lives of your peeps better. ~ JEANKNEE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes...BIG smiles for such a wonderful day!! He's so handsome in his life vest! Good pup!! Life really is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Dog, Carl. You make your Grandma very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looked like a beautiful day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, not quite as hot as Wednesday/Thursday, but the water felt good!

      Delete
  8. Lovely day!
    Nice vest for Carl. Did he kayak too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was too choppy where his dad planned to paddle and for sure they would have capsized the craft. So Carl stayed on shore or in the boat-ramp shallows. They are trying to get him used to the little boats, but it will take time, if it ever happens.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness: what a wonderful time and what terrific pictures!! Carl, you are one lucky dog for sure. And all your people are lucky too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once upon a time, we were at Cayuga Lake just about every Summer weekend. Sometimes with boating friends, sometimes just picnics after church on shore.

      Delete
  10. What a nice day! I’m sure all of you were happily tired. It reminded of canoeing several of the rivers in Iowa with a group of women friends. Then we decided to go white water rafting in Colorado. Amazing weeklong trip! Glad you had such a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, happily tired is a good description.

      Delete
  11. Fun fun fun, and thanks for sharing all the nice pics.
    Looks like Carl may become a blogger too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, from time to time... ;)

      Thanks for popping by!

      Delete
  12. Awesome! Bit by bit, we shall adjust to this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I found you, purely by accident and am I ever glad I did!! I'm delighted that you have found and are using this site. This fantastic for you and all your followers. I truly enjoyed seeing the day through Carl's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my "life raft" as a Spark refugee. You're welcome any time. I've been posting links to it in my Spark blog, which I am continuing "to the end"... just to invite folks over.

      Delete
  14. Sooooo glad Carl let his people join in on allllll the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great day you had in a beautiful place with the people and canine buddy that you love!

    ReplyDelete

Sunday afternoon, Monday morning

  The robins were out in force.  This chipper young fellow was singing his heart out on the backyard fence Sunday afternoon. This was while ...