Thursday, June 24, 2021

Day 18: Thunder and Lightning

Good Morning!  Would you believe I've already had a nap this morning?

Brandon Hammons captured this photo, and posted it in the Facebook group Nebraska Through the Lens:  "Ominous shelf cloud illuminated by lightning approaching Platte Center around 1am this morning!! This squall line packed a wallop!!"

The storm arrived overhead for me about 2:30 a.m., and woke me. 💤 There were rumbles on high, and I knew that severe weather had been predicted overnight, so I flipped on the TV, and sure enough, the weathermen were up and commentating on that famous (or maybe not so famous) Midwestern Sport: watching and warning the populace about what was on its way and where it was headed next.  They said this system was clipping through the state at about 50 miles an hour!

I traipsed down the stairs to see if the kitties wanted in, but they were nowhere to be seen... I shrugged my shoulders and decided they must be hunkered down, and they are on their own, I offered!

After the front passed and it quieted, I went back to bed for that nap.  Got up again before six, and am now simmering the steel cut oats, listening to another front of storms coming through, and to the next shift of weathermen.  

By this time, Rubia has decided she'd rather be inside, so she's occupying the other side of the table I'm typing at, sleeping as only a confident cat can.  

Like it or not, this one and only Thursday, June 24, 2021 has begun!  Let us get out and LIVE in it, for LIFE is good.  💖💖

22 comments:

  1. Stay safe. I woke around 5am to stay awake while Hubby continued to snore. Like you ... I want my daily motivation and check-in with "friends" in the morning hours. As I copy over my Spark blogs ... I feel a little defeated ... lost weight, gained weight, Hubby had a brain fart, gained weight.

    Like storms ... life has rolled in, made a lot of noise and rolled back out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not defeated, as long as you don't give up on yourself! Patience and pacing, for all of us!

      Delete
  2. Petty quiet here last night but plenty of rumbling, and lightning yesterday afternoon. Very little rain at our house. Oh well! Good for you napping when you need it and getting kitties back in!! Ah, the life of Rubia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be better to have it in the afternoon, not in the middle of the night, to my way of thinking. The pattern in the past would be for our storms to show up around 7 or 8 p.m. When I lived in Des Moines, they would show up around 10 or 11 p.m. Obviously, I don't get to choose when the storms show up... but... if I *did*...

      Delete
  3. San Diego had a 'mini storm' and we ended the day with some fires...one a few miles away. Hate the smell of 'wood burning' that permeates the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not envy you the proximity to those wild fires. I remember some summers in my youth when we would be praying for the thunder and lightning to bring rain with them and they didn't. Reading about the drought conditions... and then the fires... heartbreaking.

      Delete
  4. Wow! That is an impressive photo! Stay safe and have a great 25th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm always impressed by the amateur photographers who share their work on that FB page!

      Delete
  5. Glad you were safe in the storm. Hope Prisoner decided to come in, too! That cloud formation definitely looks ominous!

    barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, The Prisoner did show up, a little later, and cocky as ever. We've got more on deck for tonight, in terms of storms. We get some pretty impressive sky photos out in the broad plains!

      Delete
  6. OJ here,

    I get it!
    In our neck 'o the woods I watch the weather off the west coast of Africa like a hawk from June to October! Ever hurricane ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, if I lived there, I'd be watching the same thing!

      Delete
  7. Great photo. Glad all safe in your neck of the woods.
    ~ PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a noisy night like that Sunday night. I got up around 3 because of the thunder and heavy rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposed to do it again tonight, in fact, it's already kind of starting, but this is a more normal hour for it, 6 p.m.!

      Delete
  9. What happened to Prisoner? Does he think he is indestructble? That's okay I know they come home when they are good and ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was good and ready some time after Rubia was. Came in with a swagger and took on his post as "king of the house", demanding to be deburred and defurred.

      Delete
  10. Mother Nature love to grab the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mother Nature love to grab the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always loved thunderstorms -- until the big tornado of 1985 when our daughter was not quite a year old. After that, never had the same equanimity! That sky looks so black! And you are wise to be cautious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why that would change one's viewpoint! I've always held respect for the big old storms... my dad used to go chase them when he was a newspaper reported... to photograph them from afar.

      Delete

Sunday afternoon, Monday morning

  The robins were out in force.  This chipper young fellow was singing his heart out on the backyard fence Sunday afternoon. This was while ...