Monday, June 14, 2021

Day 8: Testing wake up time and simmering steel cut oats

 

I used to do this almost every morning!

This morning it is strawberry season.

This coming Friday, the kayak rental company my friend and I tried out is hosting a "sunrise" paddle on the lake near my house.  The challenge is that you have to be at the launch area about 5:30 a.m., launch no later than 5:45 a.m., in order to be out on the lake for sunrise!  This morning I tried testing my readiness and awareness by getting up at 5.  I'm not so sure about this.  I used to regularly get up between 4 and 5, simmer those steel cut oats and blog while they were simmering.

The challenge is that I've been retired for three and a half years, and the pandemic got me in the habit of "I've got nothing to do, anyway, I'll just stay up later watching TV... sleep in in the morning... etc."  Now, with the angles of the sun returning to the Summer patterns, my natural tendency to awaken in the morning is creeping earlier, but it has not rebounded to the pre-sunrise times of years past!

Plus, it takes me longer to get ready in the morning... I move slower than when I was a working woman!  Whine, whine, whine.

Plus, there is a tandem sunSET paddle, in a couple of weeks.  It runs from 7:30 - 9:30 p.m.  And my friend has already signed up for THAT one.  

Plus, the kids have invited me to join with her parents for kayak and Carl either Saturday or Sunday same weekend as the Friday sunrise paddle.  Perhaps I would be better off signing up for the sunset one!  Hmmmm.  Decisions, decisions!

An hour later:  it is obvious I waited too long.  Sunrise is sold out!  One less decision to make.  I signed up for the sunset one.  Which means my friend will be at the same one.

In the process of signing up, I discovered that I put the "safer swimmer" float away differently than I did last time and I'm having trouble finding it!  Yikes!  I've looked in a LOT of places, and I know it was in the car and I brought it inside a day later...

Guess that will be the obsession of the day... where is that float?

So let's get out and LIVE this one and only Monday, June 14, 2021 we'll ever get.  Let's make the best choices we can to support our health and well-being, physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual.  Because LIFE is good, and we are each and every one worth taking care of!💗💊😍

P.S. After a short walk outside, FOUND the Safer Swimmer float!  It was actually in one of the places I had looked, but I had wrapped it in a towel and forgotten I'd wrapped it!


20 comments:

  1. I understand how you might need to train just to get up on time for the sunrise 'cruise' but it might be worth it. We have gotten used to rising much later and for the same reasons as you listed. Sometimes I just lie in bed thinking about things I might get around to doing rather than getting up and doing them. [missing the sad face emoticon]

    I'm glad you found your 'lost' item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It's one of those "turning into my mom" things. The year after she passed we finally found the Christmas surprises she had "put away" for us!

      Delete
  2. Funny how we can look at things we just used and not see them! I know you'll have a great time on that sunset paddle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It may just be fodder for a future blog. But two weeks away at this point.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I am up early (4 am) w/Miss Lilly, and it's been a habit, but the sunset kayaking would be gorgeous! I know you'll enjoy it. And when you go with the kids and her parents, and Carl, does Carl get his own kayak? JK Glad you found your swim buddy. Best to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two or three kayaks and five people... so we will take turns, those out paddling, and those doing shore / lake fetch games with Carl. It just sounds like a lovely proposed outing.

      Delete
  4. Sunrise, sunset, sunrise, sunset -- I'm remembering the song from Fiddler on the Roof!! Either time of day is glorious for paddling!! Or both!! WATERMELLEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Looking forward to this Summertime activity.

      Delete
  5. I get sooo annoyed at myself when 8 cannot find something! ðŸĪŠ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And logically, when you find it, it's always in the last place you look. :D

      Delete
  6. Just stretching and growing my navigation muscles. I wonder what it was that I lost and was supposed to look for this evening... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for a walk, and it may come to you! LOL! Love ya, sis!

      Delete
  7. I keep hiding from the sun and it shows how good of a job I’ve done in the bloodwork, low on Vitamin D. I guess I need to get out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15 minutes of sunshine is enough to boost that Vitamin D. Has your Doc prescribed a D supplement? I take two 1000 IU pills or gels a day, up it in winter time to three.

      Delete
  8. OJ here,
    I sometime made a larger batch and refrigerated for the next day. Microwaves are my best friends at times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, aren't they? I do that with lots of things, being as it's sometimes hard to skinny a recipe down to "one"!

      Delete
  9. Hubs and I use to get up Mon-Fri between 4:30-5:00am and put in 12 hour days. YUCK.

    Now ... don't bother me until after 9 !!!

    Sooo glad you found your float. How come I can have radar vision until I need it ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Problem with "don't bother me until after 9"... well, the sunshine comes through my window well before that, despite the drapes. And this time of year, I *want* to be up early so I can go walking before it gets too hot!

      But I'm very happy to be done with those long work days!

      Delete

Sunday afternoon, Monday morning

  The robins were out in force.  This chipper young fellow was singing his heart out on the backyard fence Sunday afternoon. This was while ...