Friday, June 11, 2021

Day 5: Companion animals

 Because of the change in blogging venue, and the possible influx of new/different readers, this post is by way of introduction of the animals in my current life.  But it starts with reference to a couple that I only know on-line through social media.

The above picture today is of Skittles (small blue guy) and Chumley (Cockatiel), companions to my son's girlfriend's parents.  Yesterday I got the brief notice via a Facebook status that Chumley had unexpectedly and suddenly died.  So I'm keeping my fellow parents of the other half of the couple close in my thoughts today.  Girlfriend headed over to her parents home right away when she got the news.

I never met the pictured birds.  I've met Kiwi and Scout, two cockatiels who live with GF and my son and Carl.  But whenever an animal has lived with humans for a while, it's going to be a big loss when they go, be they birds, cats, dogs or (shudder) snakes!  We project qualities onto our companions, and we learn from them.  

Carl?  He's the canine that my son acquired two years ago.  I puppy-sat on Mondays which was my son's physically in the office day, up until the pandemic shutdown caused him to not have any in the office day, but work 100% from home.


Carl on his trip to his fur-ever home had a stop-over to meet Grandma (me), two years ago last month!

Now he's a big boy:


I also provide food and shelter for two indoor-outdoor kitties, by name The Prisoner (kitten #6 on the vet papers just had to get this geeky moniker), and Rubia (she's blonde).  

Baby Prisoner, kitten #6

The Prisoner, adult
Rubia taking the high ground.

Rubia is my "sink" cat.  She prefers streaming water to drink.

They are known to do the synchronized cat nap thing.
And also to check each other out and assert dominance!


What have I learned from the animals in my life?  Well, since the cats are "demand" feeders, and I leave food out for them all the time, I've learned that their appetite/hunger meters are NOT broken!  They seem to stay fit effortlessly.  They don't eat when they aren't hungry, and they leave food in the bowl!  I've learned not to attempt to train a cat contrary to its nature.  

I've learned that Carl needs human supervision so that he can stay active and fit.  Thankfully, he also keeps his humans active.  One of our fellow Sparkers used to say that if she and her husband lived a life that was healthy for their border collie, it would be healthy for them, as humans, too.

Do you have companion animals in your life?  What lessons have they taught you?  

Now let's all head out and live in this one and only Friday (already) June 11, 2021 we'll ever get.  Each day is a gift, whatever it brings... may it bring us healthy choices, and LIFE, for Life is Good!💗💗


22 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen the "in-laws" birds before, but knew of son and gf's cockatiels. You do have a wonderful variety of critters around your life! Plus your sister's cats! My younger grandson (are 3) has been pretending he has hamsters here. It's kinda cute! He feeds them corks (I don't member why we have corks...no wine here...), and puts out a dish for their water. He even uses a tube for them to crawl through. Pretty elaborate for someone who has no pets except some fish in an outside pond!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't children wonderful? So full of imagination and creativity. They will amaze you all the time and keep you young!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures! Twenty years with our cat taught me that animals have much more personality than I thought before having any pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An education, right? And when they die, we grieve! And when their co-habiting beings pass on, so do they! Guess with the demise of Spark, we're doing our own form of grieving, regrouping, and moving on. May we be patient with ourselves!

      Delete
  3. Our Max (cat) likes water from the tap too. He checks the bathtub after someone has had a shower and licks up any water left dripping. He cries for food in the morning as I am getting up. It doesn't matter if there is still food in his dish or not, he has to do the begging thing. Fortunately, that is the only time unless he hears someone opening a can. It is interesting to see how different each animal can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I knew that Rubia was not unique among felines in this, but she's the first of the type who has lived with me! Oh, and I read something about why kitties leave food in the dish and meow for more / different. It has to do with something called "whisker fatigue" and how deep the dish is relative to their sensory whiskers!

      Delete
  4. Sympathies to girlfriend's parents on the loss of their cockatiel, Chumley -- so sad when we lose one of our beloved companion animals, and birds can have such personality!! Loved your introduction to your cats and to Carl . . . cats "know" their staff will attend to all their needs and seem to be much less "food driven" then dogs of my acquaintance!! Henry certainly wants his chow right on time morning and evening!! And anything else he can cadge in between with skilful counter surfing too!

    WATERMELLEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing Carl and Henry are so cute, eh? But they keep *us* humans active, and that is a good thing, even if they do take advantage of being tall enough to reach the counter from time to time!

      Delete
  5. Hi Barb,
    Wonderful to see you in a new venue; as a Spark blog follower, I have read your words daily for years! I’m so glad there is a way to remain in contact! Loved seeing your fur friends pics; sorry about Chumley!
    Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for putting your Spark ID in the comment... it makes it easier to recognize each other!

      Delete
  6. So happy to read you blog, Barb...will start mine soon since I have never been a daily blogger I will need to set a rhythm. Of course this is one of my favorite topics...our love of our pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Who doesn't love our pets, eh? And you don't have to be a daily blogger for the exercise of organizing your thoughts (that writing gives one) to be worthwhile.

      Delete
  7. Cats, parakeets, turtles, goldfish, baby chickens, wild bunnies were pets of my youth. Since marriage I've gone to the dogs, indoor ones at that, which is where I thought humans belonged. Three Eskimos Spitz's that have moved on to the Rainbow Bridge. Now have two rescue Matltipoos (Maltese + Poodle mix) and blown away at how the male one has captured my heart.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do that, don't they (capture the heart)! I find it fascinating how many of us have a "favorite breed" that is often influenced by fond memories of pets of our youth, or even by reading "dog books" as kids.

      Delete
  8. Border collies are -the- most energetic dogs, & insistent about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had one, but have been paying attention... they are working dogs and NEED the mental challenges! So do many other breeds, but those border collies... smart as whips and able to get in lots of trouble if you don't see to their needs.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about Chumley. I've had exactly one pet in my life - a puppy I adopted from the Humane society when I was a newlywed. She was some kind of Black Lab mix. Best and smartest dog ever. I even trained her to "play the piano" on command. She loved when I'd play "We Sail the Ocean Blue" (from Gilbert & Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore) on the piano and she'd howl away with it. She lived to be over 15 years old. I don't think I want another pet, though. I enjoy not having to worry about what to do with my pet when I travel somewhere. Maybe if I lived alone I'd feel differently, but at this point in my life, I feel no need for animal companionship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have found what works for YOU, and that's the most important thing. One of the reasons I do not currently have a dog of my own, but rely on visits from a grand-dog is that I am concerned about being able to keep up with one in the next 15 years it might live! I like the athletic breeds!

      Delete
  10. Soooo sorry about Chumley. Pets ... they become such a part of our lives.

    We decided to leave our 2 wonder dogs with DS while we went to Texas. Many, many a time while gone ... Hubby and I both went "looking" for the dogs.

    We needed a "hug".

    Our puppy dogs taught us ... unconditional love and acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have a pet - now. There was always a cat or dog (usually both) around most of my life until 1995. After that, there was too much traveling to own a pet (or to allow them to own me, more like).

    I am a vicarious pet-owner, though. Son and daughter-in-law have a cat, and daughter has a cat and a dog (who could be Carl's twin sister). All the animals seem to recognize me and demand lots of attention when I visit.

    Re cats and satiety: my daughter's cat was a stray kitten, and she seems to have gotten the idea that "However much it is, I better eat all of it now, because I don't know where the next meal is coming from." She was gaining at an alarming rate, and if her bowl was completely empty (which since she would bolt each serving it generally was) she would cry and follow the nearest human, meowing pitifully.

    We stumbled upon a good solution, a "food ball." She has to bat it around until it releases a kibble. When she's full enough, she stops playing with it, and when she's hungry again, she seeks it out and starts rolling it around.

    Maybe it's a case of "I'm full enough and too tired to play anymore," but it seems to do the trick for the full-belly signal. Mimsy is coming up on ten years old, but it took us eight years to find a method that worked! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great concept! Similar to the "Kong" toys they make for dogs, only adapted to kitties!

      Delete

Sunday afternoon, Monday morning

  The robins were out in force.  This chipper young fellow was singing his heart out on the backyard fence Sunday afternoon. This was while ...