Sunday, August 1, 2021

Day 56: I was cheeky enough to call it "Running"

 Yesterday I had originally thought to run intervals around a nearby lake.  Did not happen, due to the rain.  This morning, it happened.  Knowing I was going to do intervals, I was cheeky enough to tell Runkeeper (now renamed as "FitnessKeeper") that I was "running" even though I knew darned well it was going to be just a few jogging steps in every five minutes of a normally walking adventure.

The weather was perfect.  63℉, sunshine, not a lot of wind.  I was not lonely out there. A whole lot of others were walking themselves, dogs, strolling babies, riding bikes... and some running intervals with their kids.  The Spirit of the Olympics does this to our town.  Probably your town, too.

I got home and started to process things and put together this blog, cooking and savoring my healthy breakfast in the process.  I had not yet got around to bathing/showering when my phone rang.

I thought it was going to be Sister #1 since I called her on Friday and she was waaaay too booked up to talk.  But NO!  It was indeed the mythical son!

His girlfriend and her parents had been planning and outdoor birthday party for her aunt, at the dog park on my end of town.  The aunt, unfortunately, was not able to come to her own party... she was having a health issue.  Would I be free to come to the dog park as part of a five-person "herd" for Carl to shepherd about?

Of course I would!  
Ye olde watering hole at the dog park.

They came over and picked me up, and off we went.  Carl was in heaven... he would run on ahead, then come back and check to make sure every single human was coming along, then head on out again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Of course he dunked in the stream, too.

GF's mom tried to avoid getting water shaken all over her from the dog coming out of the stream.  Well, only partial success.  Carl shook off a ways away, but another, longer haired dog (of course!) rushed out of the water, and shook off behind her... yep!  Sorry, did your daughter not warn you?      

After our outing at the dog park, there was an ice cream stop planned, at a nearby shop.  I had brought no money, of course... GF's treat. I shared a kiddie cup of vanilla with Carl.  I put half in his dish, reserving a half cup cube for myself.  (For those of you tracking Covid precautions, we masked going inside the shop to order... this seating is outdoors.)

After the ice cream they dropped me off back home, and here I am finishing up the blog for the day.  It's been a good one, and I think I can call it an active one, too.

Here's hoping the same for all of my old Spark buddies, as we live the remainder of this one and only Sunday, August 1, 2021 we'll ever get.  After all, we're worth it, and life is good!

✨πŸ’– Spark on!

32 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful, doggy day, with lots of exploring and even some jogging! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doggy day was a surprise treat... the "run" was an expected one!😍

      Delete
    2. Lol

      I guess we know where my priorities lie! πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  2. Looks like a wonderful time was had by all! Awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was... and great weather... we had a marvelous break from the heat this weekend, after the rain overnight Friday into Saturday morning. A bit muddy out, but none of the dogs complained a bit!

      Delete
  3. What a great time! Yep, she shoulda known wet dogs mean wet people around them... Betting she laughed... Air quality is still only moderate here, so not out there breathing it yet. Smart you, sharing your ice cream! It's heating up again here, so will likely take grandkids to the pool tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, we "old Girl Scouts" stick together that way... laugh and live on! Sharing the ice cream was sensible... don't want to undermine my barely budding start to training up to event again!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Keep sparking. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and you keep on Sparking, too.✨

      Delete
  5. Dogs like to shake the water off close to their people. It doesn't matter how far you try to get away, they will find you just to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't Carl, but a different dog that drenched GF's mom! One she'd never met before. But I supposed that was her owner standing nearby...

      LOL... and they *do* love to share!

      Delete
  6. Scoops!
    What a fun day. Bet you're tired. I still need to walk a mile tonight. PT tomorrow (11 out of 12 sessions).
    (Hug)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am... Scoops. A unique concept... my first visit... but OMG what's in a half cup of "premium ice cream" in terms of calories! Be safe... and may the PT be what you need tomorrow... I've got getting a cat to the vet on tomorrow's agenda. Now, shower, teeth, and bedtime! You are right, I AM tired! ✨

      Delete
  7. I've heard of the "dog days" of summer. I didn't realize it was meant to taken literally.
    Big Smile!!! (wish there were emoticons)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember my mythological / sea-faring lore (keeping in mind I am neither a scholar nor a sailor... the dog days of summer had to do with a constellation in the sky during August when the trade winds died down, and ships could not make much progress crossing the Atlantic? Somebody probably knows more than I do about this!

      And there may not be emoticons but there are emojis... right click in the comment box and you'll get a menu including "emojis". When you click "emojis" and keep typing "grin", for example, you'll get a selection: πŸ˜€πŸ˜„πŸ˜πŸ˜ΈπŸ˜‚πŸ€©πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ΉπŸ˜ΊπŸ˜…πŸ˜† to choose from. I often type "spark" and get these: ❇πŸŽ‡πŸ’–πŸŒŸ✨πŸŽ†

      Delete
  8. All for the comfort and convenience of the dog, of course. Who wears the crown in that group? Walking with a few jogging steps sounds like you are itching for more progress. Motivation is strong in this one said Yoda.

    Ran a bunch of errands today. Walking without pain is giving me more endurance but not much speed yet. Running sounds like an aspiration I can look forward to.

    Enjoy your heat respite. August and September are notorious around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely will not allow myself to jog when I am over 150 pounds... it's too hard on my knees. So when I dipped below 150 last week, it was the starting gun. I will remain careful so as not to invite injury by doing "too much, too soon" though.

      Delete
  9. It sounds like a great day especially for Carl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carl was over the moon. We wore him out and he put his head on my thigh in the back seat while we rode home, his big brown eyes gazing up at me. Melts my 🧑😍

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful day! You sound delighted to be getting those jogging intervals going. :-) Nice to have some pleasant unexpected treats today too. ~ JEANKNEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. Run to Overcome, the charity run for suicide prevention is October 3rd... and it is my hope to be 5K ready by then. πŸƒ‍♀️πŸ‘Ÿ

      Delete
  11. What a lovely day -- doggies and dog park and ice cream!! Just can't be beat: and YOU enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸΆπŸ•πŸ©πŸ•‍🦺 Yep, filled my bucket!

      Delete
  12. I have NO problem with your masking habits!
    We've developed a comfortableness with first 'checking' our companions for hints of whatever, vaccineness and then scanning the crowd and ventilation. After all requirements are met, we unmask. I have not stopped wearing mine in any indoor situation and even in crowded outdoor places.
    Safety first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! Safety first, especially with new information that's recently come out. Lack of information is ALSO a reason to be cautious.

      Delete
  13. WhooHoo ... a spontaneous "date".

    PS ... still trying to figure out ... Notify ... so I know when you have responded to my response on your blog.
    🀣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Notify is a checkbox, under the comment entry box. On the lower right, across from the "Publish" button. You have to check it before you click on Publish to get it to work.

      We'll get this working eventually. Now if only the Reading List didn't lag so badly!

      Delete

Saturday morning naughty puppy

  Don't know if it's visible to anyone else, but this is my outdoor unit of the central air... can you see where the puppy tore at t...