Thursday, August 19, 2021

The pandemic effect on Weight management

 A couple of blogs ago I mentioned in the blog "Closing the door and moving on" that different levels of stress would result in different kinds of behavior, different levels of success, motivation, and so on, in my own efforts at maintaining a healthy lifestyle.  

This raised questions in my "be honest with yourself" mind... if it is true that higher levels of stress led to higher resolve and holding on to the program for dear life, why was that not true of the entire pandemic?  I mean, what could be more stressful than a disease we knew so little about (it was new) starting to sweep the world, and invading my own corner of it?

The following analysis shows the phases of the pandemic, and how it impacted in my life.  I will present both graphs and narrative of life circumstances and mood.  Feel free to skip this blog as it's very self-centered:  how this affected me and my own efforts.  Your own experience may easily have varied.  Feel free to skip down to the pep talk!

The analysis

First, the overview of the time from the first case of Covid-19 being reported in my state to the day that Spark announced its impending closure.  Notice that there are times when it looks as though I am "working on" becoming healthier and lighter, and times when I am rapidly going in the wrong direction, i.e. discouragement, rebellion.  And times when I seem to pretty much just "hold my own".  



Breaking it up into phases when "doing well", we have Phase 1, from March 4th, 2020, when the first case was reported in my state, to May 5th (around Mother's Day).  I was resolved to do my best to be active, eat healthy, stay away from crowds, including grocery store (I at first had food delivered, then started picking it up at the curbside), and being very, very diligent about hand washing, sanitizing, etc.


Then we have a period of burn-out, why try, don't care... that ran from about Mother's Day through the middle or end of August.  The initial rise in weight was followed by a rocky maintaining at a higher weight.  

The political / news environment surrounding this time period included things beyond my control but that I very much wished could be different.  I was watching too much news.  The Iran missile attack on US forces in Iraq (and of course the US drone strike to which this was a response), leaving us on the edges of our seats, worried about what might come next.

The death of George Floyd, the BLM protests, some bad episodes of police-violence...  I was watching too much social media of friends, whose views varied wide- and wild-ly.  The election was starting to ramp up, and I was starting to shed online friends who stirred me up too much, that tempted me too much to respond, because as a "centrist" I sort of disagreed with both extremes and had a hard time locating "just the facts".  By August, I could tell I needed to "do something" about my mental health, because it was affecting my physical health, too.


What did I decide to do about it?  Why, sign up for a virtual 5K, and start to train up for it.  This shows from the end of the burn out graph to the virtual 5K in mid-October.  


I walk/jogged that 5K in a mask, solo, on a marked route near one of our local YMCA's.

Shortly after that outing, the case counts, hospitalizations, and deaths began rising locally.  We entered the Red Zone in November.  Shasta's visits were canceled.  Sister walks ended.  Family gathers became Zoom meetings.  We were all hanging on for dear life, hoping for the vaccines to be tested and approved.

The election and the controversy surrounding it did not help.  The divisions being cast into attitudes about risk mitigation factors like mask wearing and crowd size limitations did not help.  When it all culminated in a violent mob swarming the US Capitol building, it did not help, either.

But despite all of this turmoil, the vaccine started to ship.  Some of my friends and family who work in health care started to get their first shots.  By the end of March, I had the opportunity to get vaccinated myself.  

Here's the weight graph that covers from that surge ramp up to my second shot.  You can see that all the progress that had been made with training for that 5K was rolled back, and then there comes this rolling rise... all the way up to vaccination.


And two weeks after that second shot, sister hugs!  Son hugs!  And getting back to meeting with a personal trainer.  We thought we had survived and watched the numbers drop.  In late May, the mask orders were allowed to expire.

The "finish line" effect of becoming fully vaccinated resulted in some choppy readings on the scale.  See that rise, attempt to control, roll?  It didn't seem to matter that I was working with a trainer (I was working out masked, until those orders were lifted at the end of May).  Clearly, I wasn't getting the kitchen under control.  I wasn't tracking my food intake consistently.


The last 72 days, you've seen before, the "Transition off of Spark", the rolling up the sleeves to survive!  I started tracking food again.  I continued working out with the trainer, twice a week.  And I started working on the transition, on finding the tools to support myself (and hopefully others) continue the work that we started with the "tiny flame" Chris Downie talked about as his Spark.  


In those seventy some days, is the world news better?  Nope!  More recently, is my life starting to be constrained a bit again by the next surge in cases of the virus?  Yep!  But, having that big project to work on, and the "taking care of myself so I can take care of the project" kicked in.

The pep talk:

Here we are with school back in session, in the second half of August.  Along with most of you, I am hoping to continue this start.  In the ten weeks of transition, I averaged stripping back off a pound a week, I figure.  I am back to jogging intervals in a few walks each week.  I have a new active hobby with the kayaking.  And I am facing the virus dangers with reason and acceptance of levels of risk and mitigation.  We know more now.  There are sensible things we can do.

I am praying for my friends, family, community and world.  Take care out there.  Everyone's local situation is different.  Every country, state, and city has its own "rules".  Be wise for yourself.  Balance your own risks and benefits.  You're important to me (selfish me).  I want to see you thrive.  Because we are a tribe, we Spark refugees, even spread across the various tools to continue our efforts.

We can do this.  Life is good.  Spark on!✨๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’—๐ŸŽ†

31 comments:

  1. I read all the way through and I found it really, really interesting how things seems to make complete sense in the graphs. That is really well done. Life it good and sending huge hugs too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m impressed; well done putting all this together. If I knew how to do something like that, mine would look similar for similar reasons. Lessons: life isn’t going back to whatever normal was, I need to get out of my slump and simply move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Analysis helps me move forward. Thankfully, I had the data, and the ability to go look up dates of news events to put the "big picture" together. You have the lesson exactly right: we have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and move on! We can do this, my friend! ✨๐Ÿ’–

      Delete
  3. I'm in agreement with everything you've put out there. Very impressed with the graphs too. That's not something I could do easily.
    With all that has happened over the last year and a half, really two years, it's a wonder all of us are still doing what we can to keep "surviving." Especially since life has pretty much been turned upside down.
    Thank you for sharing this with us, Barb. It makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amazing thing is that with life turned upside down, we have more reason than ever to take care of ourselves, if we can just avoid becoming discouraged! Thankfully, we still have our little refugee bunch, so, as unlikely as it may sound, even without Spark people as a web site (Spark360 is NOT the same kind of community), we can hang together and Spark on! ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’—✨

      Delete
  4. ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿซ‚๐Ÿคฃ
    Why hello there, Fellow Data Person!
    ๐Ÿ“ˆ๐Ÿ“‰๐Ÿฅธ๐Ÿค“๐Ÿง๐Ÿค”
    That is EXACTLY the way I look at my own graphs. Not only weight, but steps per day, etc.

    It just so *refreshing* not to be the geekiest person in the room, by orders and orders of magnitude! ๐Ÿ˜…

    I logged my weight exactly once in 2020, in May, and my food not at all. (With predictable results) Some days it was a major accomplishment to just take a shower. All those factors you described were just Too Much.

    I didn’t really feel up to dealing with tracking food or weight (or much of anything else) until H got his first vaccine appointment in February. That was the light at the end of the tunnel that made it feel like there might be something worth living for, something that might come after the dark dark cycle of wacko stuff in the news and political polarization of seemingly everything and science denial, etc that we had been plunged into.

    Once I was ready to start tracking and logging again, it’s been progress down Scale Mountain. Not as fast as your progress, but it’s going in the right direction and I’ll Take It. LOL

    Thanks for sharing, Fellow Nerd. ☺️๐Ÿ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *knew* you were a geek like me! But I'm not NEARLY as Geeky as my brother was... I mean, MOBYCARP was a force to be reckoned with. And you, my friend, are sort of in his camp, Ms. Form the Google Group and carry on!

      We hang on to what we can hang on to, and let other pieces go until we can pick them up again. There's only one rule, and that is "Never Give Up" on ourselves!

      You're welcome, Fellow Nerd! ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’–✨

      Delete
    2. Um, thank you! (I think!)
      ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ
      ๐Ÿงฎ๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿ”ข๐Ÿง‘‍๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿ‘ฉ‍๐Ÿ’ป๐Ÿ‘จ‍๐Ÿ’ป

      Delete
    3. Meant in the best possible way. I adored my brother!๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  5. It was a good read. A reminder for myself that I suffere the same 'slings and arrows'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "of outrageous fortune"?... boy, if that's not a description of the past 18 months, I don't know what is!

      Delete
  6. I am not a “grapher, (although you make me want to be one!), but they speak so much truth about all of our journeys.

    I’ve struggled so much with weight in the last year. I had done well, then family members started having health issues…too many surgeries and no way I could be of help! Hard! Having to cancel a recent trip to see children and grandchildren we haven’t seen in almost 2 years. Never had trouble with depression, but I’m having some now.

    So your “graph journey” allowed me to see my own in perspective. Thanks for the work you did.

    Would love to know what you are using. I don’t have Microsoft on my iPad. I’ve done some looking, but would love to find one where I can graph weight as well as measurements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI I like Google Sheets... They even have a specific “time series” graph that lets you annotate it with specific events.

      If you’d rather download a package, try OpenOffice; I refuse to pay for MS products unless I’m forced to ๐Ÿ˜‰

      Delete
    2. Jinx to Anja! I was going to suggest that Google Sheets has the same capabilities as MS Excel (which is what I used to generate those particular graphs).

      I'll have to investigate that time series graph myself. I've been rolling my own spreadsheets for so long, it's sometimes easier for me to freelance than to hunt for something someone else has done.

      Delete
  7. Love graphs and you do them well! Glad I took the time to read everyone's comments and your replies. Otherwise I would have missed the pearl of wisdom you wrote about taking care of ourselves with life turned upside down... yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... you made me go back and re-read my own comment (blush)! Yes, it was true a couple of hours ago, and is still true!

      Delete
  8. Life IS good! Kudos! Thank you for sharing your insights with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOu have done such a good job reading the stats and processing them. I feel mine are probably pretty similar for most of the same reasons.

    Just have to work on focusing on health, staying safe. Doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, though, have going back and taking a numeric look at things brings closure. Ready to move on now!

      Delete
  10. My nephew got his first vaccine today! Exciting day!!
    (He turned 12 at the end of last month)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may tell your nephew that even your on-line friends are proud of him! He's keeping his loved ones and friends safe, as well as himself! Congrats to the whole family!

      Delete
  11. It would seem that we are in scary times, but the acronym for fear is: space false expectations appearing real. Education is a huge piece of it. We need to stay smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth there! Alert, but not alarmed... not letting ourselves spin out of control, and once decision is made, stick with it.๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  12. Life is good. Spark on!
    ๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ’•

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life is good. Thankful for your blog today.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday morning naughty puppy

  Don't know if it's visible to anyone else, but this is my outdoor unit of the central air... can you see where the puppy tore at t...