Sunday, August 29, 2021

Phone cameras sure have improved

 

Up too early

Sometimes a body just wakes up and decides it is done with sleep.  Sometimes that's not at a socially acceptable wake up time.

This morning, there were rumbles of thunder, and if you went outside, you could see the still damp pavement (or deck, if you went the other side of the house) in the pre-dawn.  I played with the night lighting on the phone's camera... and liked the backlit tree in this little shot.

The cats decided I was boring in the house and went out to perch on the deck in the dark.  Doesn't seem to bother them that the occasional rumble passes by overhead.  The "occasional thunderstorms" are supposed to be ending by 9 a.m., but it's a good deal earlier than that now.  I even have time to go to the grocery store and pack things away before heading out to run.

Groceries

They were passing out gas saver points based on how much you spent today.  I had filled little Dexter (my car)'s tank yesterday as my points from the last time they did this were about to expire.  

I was at the grocery in the 7-8 a.m. hour, and shoppers were sparse.  With the city now back under mask orders, everyone was wearing theirs (although I did notice at least one worn incorrectly, the nose not covered).  I had a number of things to pick up that were not food, and I figured now as a good time, and I scored 50 cents a gallon based on my rather large purchase.  Paper towels, tissues, vitamins and supplements... those add to the total in a hurry!  And I splurged on some Starbucks mocha flavored coffee.

I did pick up small potatoes and whole eggs, with the thought of making one more batch of potato salad for the end of Summer.  I discovered that one can buy those small potatoes in a microwavable bag, so that it becomes very easy to throw that potato salad together.  Makes four meals for me, with four hard boiled eggs to a pound and a half of potatoes, 5.3 oz. of Greek non-fat yogurt, and two tablespoons each of light mayo, yellow mustard, and sweet pickle relish.  Half a cup each of diced onion and celery complete the recipe.  Methinks I'll mix that up for supper tonight, and then there will be leftovers throughout the week.

Run

After I put the groceries away, I headed out my front door.  I abandoned the thought of running around the lake, since it was still in an hour where the forecast said 40% chance of thunder showers.  I cajoled myself into intervals, and pretty much doubled the steps in each jogging interval today.  By the time I got home, any sense of anxiety had disappeared into the endorphins.

See, I take anti-anxiety treatments.  They involve running shoes and take at least 30 minutes!  I am incredibly grateful to my body for tolerating this level of activity.  

I note that my personal trainer and his wife posted on Facebook that they are swapping houses!  Down-sizing!  Makes a person think, doesn't it?  . o O (Best keep the de-stuffing project (Swedish Death cleaning) moving, Barb!)

The Pep talk

Now let's all get out there and live the best we can manage, this one and only Sunday, August 29, 2021 we'll ever get.  Because Life is Good, and we are each of us worth living it for!  Let's have another adventure before dementia!  ✨πŸ’–πŸ”₯Spark on!  

33 comments:

  1. Yes, that is a cool picture w/the backlit tree!

    I absolutely love shopping in the early morning hrs. Nobody there, and it’s QUIET!

    Your potato salad sounds delicious! I love using Greek yogurt in recipes like that.

    Yes, I do a little decluttering each day and can see some progress. No plans on moving @ this time, but good to get rid of what isn't useful and being enjoyed.

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished assembling the potato salad, and am enjoying the first serving. Good for you, keeping at the decluttering! I kind of wilted during 2020 and the angst over the pandemic, but starting to get re-energized now.

      Delete
  2. Love the photo, and your homemade potato salad sounds delish!
    DD and I walked/strollered Benji for a mile - second Sunday we've done this, and she mentioned it becoming a weekly habit. I wouldn't mind!
    Hugs & love,
    Ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between a sister and a daughter, you might just get jollied along... that's two social walks a week!

      Delete
  3. I used to have to be "very, very quiet" as a child, as I would wake before the grown-ups and wasn't supposed to get up until they did!

    I'm not up to 1 & 1's yet. I'm now on 400 jogging steps in a 5 minute time period, starting on the RunKeeper cues. One of these days I'll get to 1 & 1's again!

    I'm not a real photographer, but when I found out the night camera was so much better on this model (which my son got me last November) I started playing with it every now and then. When I like one, I share it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. H is following a run-walk-run program on his birthday present Garmin watch, so I think I actually know what you guys are talking about! πŸ˜„ (all this running stuff has been a mystery to me and my gimpy knee over the years)

    His program has him doing 30 sec run / recovery drills at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hungry already and reading your potato salad recipe just now has me drooling. I look like Cayenne now, when she’s waiting to pre-wash our dishes! πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cayenne's name reminds me what I left off the recipe... spicing to taste: black pepper and cayenne!

      Delete
    2. Recipes that say, “pinch cayenne” always make me giggle.

      Poor thing, she stands there, trying to “help” me in the kitchen (she’s great at cleanup if I drop anything), and it is a temptation to gently take the recipe literally, at that point! πŸ˜‚

      Delete
    3. Maybe just a leetle pinch?

      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AafzLbM7GqM

      Delete
    4. I had not seen that one... no pinch, no pinch, no pinch!🀣

      Delete
  6. Jeff Galloway, by chance, Anja? He trains "old folks" to keep running, even into their 90's by doing intervals, even during races, taking walk breaks, deliberately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have always been early risers, up by 5 or 530 mostly for getting ready for work. It's a habit we haven't been able to break even after retirement. Quiet time, coffee, computer then on with the day. Love the salad recipe but I probably wouldn't be able to stop at one serving, lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photo. For a Sunday, you did a lot and early in the morning, great! We are still wearing masks here. Schools are back but with 1 m distancing and all students wearing masks and washing hands constantly. I've always been an early bird though I don't like when 2 or 3 a.m. is like 5 am to my body. Thanks for the pep talk. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The best photos I have ever taken have been pure luck! Early birds flocking together?

      Delete
  9. Terrific lighting for the photo. And...you can almost hear the dawn cracking. πŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an incredible photo there!

    That's a recipe I'm going to have to give a try because it sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many of us have similar habits. I like to be in the store as it opens and at times, just before closing, can be the same. Depends on my energy level.
    Thanks for the potato salad recipe change-up with yogurt. Mine is the same minus the relish. I get those steam-bags for making smashed potatoes for DH. Pretty easy and I let them sit until cooled so they really get soft. Just the right size.
    Good job on back to running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I chop them up for the potato salad, they are really soft, almost mashing soft! And it's almost Labor Day, so the season for potato salad is soon to be over.



      Delete
  12. I have always been an early as possible grocery shopper; the lines are shorter and it's easier to get around stockers than cart-jammed aisles.

    Mmmmm. Potato salad; I've not made it for quite some time, generally only making it for company, Easter, or a potluck. I make it with the full-on mayonaise, so only have it once in a while.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A grocery shopper after my own heart! Don't want to encourage too many to follow the pattern, or it won't be as nice for US!
      😁😁

      Usually for me, potato salad is a company side-dish, but when I found those "easy" potatoes, my brain went there, and I had this Summer season craving. I've also had sweet corn just once this year. There are some foods that, it doesn't take a lot or often, but they are "tradition"!

      Happy Monday!

      Delete
  13. what a lovely day enjoy your meals :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, that’s the one we picked. Mostly because it only has 3 training days a week.

    H is a former marathon runner and hash house harrier. (Before we met)

    Today he decided to pause the program because he’s got to rehab a persistent calf cramp (he apparently tends toward those)

    I’m impressed with Slenderella’s uniform and consistent cadence intervals in the Garmin app, BTW. She’s got this thing *down*! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, Marsha is a dedicated and long-time Galloway runner, and she's worked through a few injuries using his method. When we ran the Women's Half in St. Petersburg in 2012, we were on her "clock" for run/walk, and I discovered that I could run/walk the standard intervals as fast as I could "jog most of the way with a few walk breaks", six months earlier. It was a real eye-opener for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Speaking of Potato Salad we are getting together with my sister's kids so we are tasked with making our potato salad recipe. But I have to admit it is goooood! Enjoy the rest of your week.
    Susiemt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy that get-together... and yes, recipes can be tradition!

      Delete

Wet Friday

The overnight was "interesting" balancing cat, dog, and weather.  It looks to be a very drippy Friday, and more showers are predic...