Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Refugee City

 

And just like that, the U.S. and NATO forces are OUT of Afghanistan

Believe it or not, I've started to write on this topic several times, over the past few days, and erased it all.  It's raw, it's hard to deal with at times, and one feels powerless, watching it unfold.

As I *did* leave in an earlier blog, though, the feelings that it stirs up must be dealt with.  And a lot of my own "dealing with" is done at the keyboard.  I've been trying to check in with my son more frequently, because I know this is hard for him, especially, having served over there.

He was deeply offended by our President saying that the Afghans weren't willing to fight for their country.  That's just not true, says the mythical son.  They *did* fight, they fought hard, and they died.  They died for their country in numbers 25 times as high as NATO forces.  Much as he saw this kind of an end coming, when the suicide bombing happened, and those oh, so young service members died, he longed for some "Obama level oratory" from leadership to "get me through".

For those of you who weren't paying attention, Obama spoke at the memorial service in November, 2009, at Fort Hood.  My son was there at the time, mourning losses very close to him.  His disappointment in Biden's "blaming" the Afghans rose to the level of his calling it "Trumping it up".  That's a pretty severe, because whatever one might believe politically, we all have to admit that Trump was not big on compassion, and was big on blaming others.

All those feelings simmering, I wanted to "do something" positive, so I looked up the local charities that support refugee resettlement.  I found out we would be getting two families of Afghan refugees almost immediately, locally.  I looked up what the charity needed, and yesterday, N-95 mask in hand, I drove down to the Catholic Social Services and gave them some 40 year old, indestructible mixing bowls and baking dishes that I had received as wedding presents.  They have a lot more needs than these, mind you, but this was a need I could supply. I'm no longer in the entertaining phase of life, and do not need them any more, and these folks coming here... have NOTHING.  

When you feel as though you can do nothing, you're wrong.  You can be kind.

Here's hoping that you will have a good Tuesday, August 31, 2021, as the month comes to a close.  After all, it's the only one we'll ever get.  And I hope that in the process of being kind, you'll remember to be kind to yourself... to your body, to your mind, to your soul.  And then you will have the energy to be kind to others, as well.

Let us live, for life is good!  No matter what!  Spark on!  ✨💖💖  We can do it.

22 comments:

  1. It is ALL heart breakingly sad!! One of my GS’s is stationed at the AFB hospital in Germany where many of the refugees were evacuated....he said it is very busy...12 hour days. Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grandson is doing a great service to our nation and those who give it so much! If it matters, an on-line friend of his grandmother thanks him for his service!

      Delete
  2. OH my feelings stirred and bubbled up . . . raw and unfiltered in my brain, too. Kind of hard to ignore as my son lost commrades in arms and was wounded himself in Afghanistan. **SIGH** Just can't say much more than that as still processing.

    Hugs and blessings and hugs to your mythical son. I can't imagine his feelings. My DS feels the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I knew you would know and probably be experiencing similar emotional stir-up! Hugs and blessings to you and yours, too.

      Delete
  3. The most recent news indicates 107 Afghan refugees are coming to our city -- multiple groups working on getting them set up with places to live and the basics for daily living. My heart goes out to them while wondering how the thousands of homeless people in our city, many living under highway bridges, feel about the contrast in their lives and pleas for assistance that have become an ongoing issue here with very few non-workable solutions. So much human suffering all over the globe is mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know how many of those homeless living under bridges, etc. are in fact veterans, like my son? Although not living on the street, he talks with these folks and his heart is for all his fellow vets.

      Delete
    2. About 5-10 years ago a concentrated effort was made to locate housing, provide medical care & counseling & job search assistance to homeless Veterans (majority then were older Vietnam Vets). It was declared a success at the time, placing those that agreed to be placed but I don't know the numbers. Recent published counts of our homeless population only gave a wide-range of the estimated count. My personal thought is that instead of a "broken system" there is "no system" in place to offer safety nets for these folks. Sigh.

      Delete
    3. Checked my friend 'Google' below are excerpts from:
      https://www.austinecho.org/blog/2021/05/21/11430/

      "AUSTIN, Texas (May 21, 2021) – The Ending Community Homelessness Coalition (ECHO) estimates that on a single day in 2021, 3,160 people experienced homelessness in Austin/Travis County. This includes 2,238 people living unsheltered in tents, cars, abandoned buildings, and other places not meant for human habitation, as well as 922 people either in traditional congregate shelter or temporary non-congregate shelter in the form of Protective Lodges (ProLodges) set up by the City of Austin in response to the COVID-19 pandemic."

      "Veterans make up 9% of the population of people experiencing homelessness and 5% of the general population. Veterans are particularly vulnerable to housing instability and experience higher rates of returns to homelessness than the general population, indicating a need for consistent commitments to supporting this population through permanent housing resources."

      Delete
    4. From an earlier comment I made: My personal thought is that instead of a "broken system" there is "no system" in place to offer safety nets for these folks.

      "no system" should read "no comprehensive system" as there are multiple projects seeking to assist but seems they have little coordination with others re the big picture.

      Delete
    5. Google has a wonderful memory, never forgets, even if things are later "corrected". Thank you so much for your efforts in helping the homeless. My son's dad is a Purple Heart Viet Nam veteran, so that community also holds a special place in our hearts. Now we have another community of vets, the OIF/OEF veterans who are our next generation, and they do their best to support the earlier ones.

      Delete
  4. It is all so much truly and I think it is wonderful that you reached out quickly. It is great when that happens all around. Someone I knew once said isn't wonderful that we are able to do something. That always got me moving to do something. Anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all can do something. All doing something we are able, regardless of the need, is important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have empathy fatigue. I watch the news and then turn it off because there is so much clamoring for my heart. It hurts to see what we have done and all that we have lost. I’ll regain my footing and find something to do in a while.

    I had a young Afghan woman in my ESL class before the pandemic. I’m sure she has relatives in danger. Her English was very good. That class was able to read at 6th grade level. We have a VERY large community of immigrants from that area. Many downtown business have signage only in Arabic and not in English. We have grocery stores with deli counters that carry 10 different types of feta cheese. Amazing what they have overcome to be here.

    I appreciate your blog dealing with your feelings. It’s a positive step just to say it out loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, do I understand that "empathy fatigue" especially as we have access to "too much news". Turning it off is a good thing. Letting it sit, and finding that "one thing I can do" is a blessing.💖

      Delete
  7. So. Many. Feelings.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
    Good job and e-hugs until I can get real ones! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this blog says it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sorry for all this terribly sad situation and your son having to hear stupid words from the President. I like your actions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Son gave him a C- for yesterday's speech. "Not worst presentation you can do about the choices you have already made."

      Delete

Saturday morning naughty puppy

  Don't know if it's visible to anyone else, but this is my outdoor unit of the central air... can you see where the puppy tore at t...