Friday, August 27, 2021

Get a haircut

Get a haircut

That's what my grandmother used to nag:  "get a haircut".  She even took me to get my haircut without my mother knowing about it.  My hair has been bugging me again, for a couple of weeks now, and I've even put it on my to-do list, then put it off, then put it off again.

This morning, I finally followed through, masking up and heading over to the little shop up the way.  

Here's what it looked like when I got home, before I headed out for a walk in the warm morning.  It was already 83℉ when I went out to walk.  That's 28.3℃ for those of you who speak celcius.  I did not do jogging intervals.  

I made it safely around my park walk (1.67 miles) and home, at which point, I took my own scissors to trim the bangs, because she left them too long and I didn't notice until I was already home, and I did not want to go back.  You can see in the photo that they are challenging the glasses frames, and I guarantee they would have started driving me nuts within less than a week.


There, that's better!  Room to grow for a month or so!

Then we have the news

Whether we mention it or not, the news shadows our thinking.  I messaged my son yesterday afternoon to see how he was holding up.  Back when he was deployed, I attended several Yellow Ribbon events for the families of his Army Reserve unit, which had come under attack in 2009, right here on US Soil.  13 soldiers were killed, and another 32 injured in that incident.  One of the major lessons that came out of those sessions was that we don't have control over when the thoughts and memories and emotions hit us.  We should not try to avoid the thoughts, we need to face them, and deal with them, hopefully in a healthy way.

As the news came out of Kabul yesterday, my mind went back to that day, nearly 12 years ago, and my soul reached out in prayer for the support of hundreds of families who were going through what my fellow parents  and I went through that day.  Waiting for news is bad.  The joy in hearing that YOUR particular loved one is OK is touched by a sense of guilt that not every family got the same kind of news.  

In the process, you possess the knowledge that you are no more worthy than the person sitting next to you to get the joyful response.  Nothing you did merits that relief.  Once you get it, the best you can do from that point forward is to live to honor those who did not come home.

That is when the concept of "for whom the race is run" was born.  And it came to fruition in a blog I wrote leading up to my first Olympic distance triathlon, over four years later:  For Whom The Race is Run.  That's a live link.  I copied it over from Spark to my archive blog.  

Granted, the incident in the news is different from the one I lived through more closely.  For one thing, the current situation is ongoing, the risk is not over, done and dusted.  Prayers continue for the safety of so many as that evacuation mission comes to a conclusion.  Those soldiers, sailors, marines, and diplomats don't have time to stop and grieve, because they have a mission to complete.

Back here, we have much work ahead as evacuees, refugees, arrive here to "start over".  May we all have compassion for them, welcome them, help them as they helped our service members in their country, many at great risk to themselves and their families.

Now to the pep talk

Here's a photo from five years back that popped up in my memories over on Facebook... and I did a double-take.  Yes, that was me, accepting the 2nd prize for my age group.

So let's get out there and take care of ourselves, best we can, this one and only Friday, August 27, 2021 we will ever get!  NOT taking care of ourselves will not help anyone else.  

We can do this, we are worth doing it for.  Life is good!

Spark on.  ✨💖

24 comments:

  1. Enjoy your haircut. I get the bangs thing; it's about what I do when I get home too!

    Yes, the news is what it is. I feel small sometimes as I can't do anything to change what is going on right now. I can "be" here for someone in the future when they need to talk. That's mu contribution.
    Hugs to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is a fine contribution. Sometimes folks just need to talk, y'know?

      Hugs, and Spark on!💖

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm with you. If my bangs are too long, it bugs the snot out of me!

    Yes, my heart sank hearing the news coming out of kabul. **SIGH** My prayers for all those lost, their families, and all those still carrying on there til they can be evacuated.

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair is one of the haircuts I have had many times . Right now I am sporting a Bob . Because it was last Oct 2020 when I had my hair as short as yours and I just had it cut last week so it was long enough to do it in a Bob . And they did all those safety measures you mentioned . You look wonderful . A wise book calls death , mankind’s “enemy.” Death takes those who are so dearly loved .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awesome for it to be long enough to cut as a Bob! I couldn't stand the "growing out" process, and got impatient even during the Winter last year, and... cut it myself! Scary! Two weeks after vaccination... I was over at the shop letting them fix my self-hacking... and I've been every six or eight weeks since. They seem to have the process down, and I'm comfortable with it.

      Delete
  4. I always wanted straight bangs but have a cowlick in the center of my forehead hairline that has a mind of its own (changes direction ever so often).

    Praying daily/nightly that good will overcome the evil driving forces that have escalated the chaos in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to your prayer!

      Cowlick in center front... I seem to remember that plaguing my brother... but by the time most of y'all knew him, it was gone in the receding hairline!

      Delete
    2. Okay, instead of reminding myself to go back and check for replies to a comment I've made, I checked 'Notify me' before selecting 'Publish' for my comment. My comment and your reply sent to my g-mail.

      Delete
    3. Yes, but did you also get any other comments from others than me, since August 27 at 3:49 p.m. (timestamp of your initial comment)?

      That has been my experience. I don't just get the author's response to my comment, I get everybody else's comments and responses to the blog as a whole?

      Delete
  5. Maybe this time...

    For the past 17 months, I’ve cut my hair. Being fully vaccinated, I’ve been thinking of a professional cut. Now even with a mask, I’m not so sure.

    The news is horrible. It changes minute by minute and is gut wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet your cut has looked fine to everyone except yourself That's kind of how it was the couple of times I did a self-cut last year. But then again, that was back when they only saw me through the Zoom camera!

      The news *is* horrible. Staying strong, praying for all.

      Delete
  6. You did a great job cutting your bangs. Looking awesome! I always come to cut all what I think needs to have an extra trim, especially my bangs too.
    Oh, the devastating situation in Afghanistan... Pure suffering.
    You are so fit in the last pic! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was close to my fittest at the point when that photo was taken.

      Delete
  7. Love the selfie with corrected bangs! ❤️🥰

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get the bangs thing too. That is what I will cut myself if it gets just too long. Really well said post too especially about those arriving here too, so often once they arrive compassion seems to be put aside, this is when it needs to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If we each put forth a little effort at kindness, we'll make a difference.

      Delete
  9. Going for my haircut today. Yeah!

    FYI Good article on new research for defeating Covid.
    https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiamh0dHBzOi8vc2NpdGVjaGRhaWx5LmNvbS9pbmVzY2FwYWJsZS1jb3ZpZC0xOS1hbnRpYm9keS1kaXNjb3ZlcnktbmV1dHJhbGl6ZXMtYWxsLWtub3duLXNhcnMtY292LTItc3RyYWlucy_SAW5odHRwczovL3NjaXRlY2hkYWlseS5jb20vaW5lc2NhcGFibGUtY292aWQtMTktYW50aWJvZHktZGlzY292ZXJ5LW5ldXRyYWxpemVzLWFsbC1rbm93bi1zYXJzLWNvdi0yLXN0cmFpbnMvYW1wLw?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting linked article. Hope you are happy with your new "do"!

      Delete
  10. The news has been so challenging, and grandsons have kept me so busy I can only catch snippets until today. Prayers needed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, prayers needed, for sure. I swapped messages with my son again today. It really kind of freaked me out the last words that one of the fallen exchanged with his mother. This was the Navy Corpsman (a medic, essentially, closest to what my son's MOS was when he served over there). He told his mom not to worry, "My guys have me." This was in reference to the marines he was serving with.

      Flash back to 2013, those words could have been from my son to me. He often talked about how the guys he was embedded with were taking care of him.

      So, yeah, keep those prayers a-going!

      Delete

Saturday morning naughty puppy

  Don't know if it's visible to anyone else, but this is my outdoor unit of the central air... can you see where the puppy tore at t...