Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Cabbage soup and Thanksgiving on IF

 

Cabbage Soup.  Filling, warm, comfort food.  And so good for us!  I put this together on Tuesday.  It will make a wonderful filling pre-feast day meal, paired with a protein.  The photo is the pot in progress.

I started experimenting with "Intermittent Fasting" as a regimen on Halloween (I've dropped a note here and there about it in the blog).  In any case, I'm currently fasting 15 hours with a 9 hour eating window, at least on the app, but have been pretty regularly achieving between 16 and 17 hours for the fast, and shortening the eating window.  

I generally have been starting my fast between 3 and 4 p.m.  Thanksgiving dinner will be at my son and his fiancΓ©'s home, at 3 p.m.  Consequently, some adjustments are being made.  I have extended my fast from yesterday so that I will break it in a little bit.  (approximately 10 a.m.)  That will shift the end of today's eating window to 7 p.m., and similarly shift the start of Thanksgiving Day's eating window to accommodate the festivities. 

I am in charge of the homemade pumpkin pie.  Like last year, it is my plan to bake that pie tomorrow before the feast.  No nibbling outside of the fasting window!  Should be a "piece of cake" as I've been making this particular recipe since I was in my teens.  I know it's good, don't need to taste test.

Oh, you want to know how this regimen is working?  I can say that the major goal of this effort was health, but losing a few pounds would be welcome.  I feel less bloated.  Not experiencing as much heart-burn (because I'm not eating the junk, nor as close to bedtime).  That means I am sleeping better, too.  The scale has also been kind.  From October 31st to this morning, I have shed the weight I gained in September and October.  Plus a smidge.  For a total of 9.3 pounds down.

Happy?  Yes, very.  But more because I feel like I'm just living life, not "dieting".  I'm recording the general content of meals and their timing, but not tracking precisely or counting nutritional content.  It's easier for me, at this phase of my life.

One thing observed is that I am essentially incorporating into this everything I have learned over the decades about nutrition and adding in more recent experience with specific foods where I didn't feel so great after eating.  Nothing is ever done in a vacuum, is it?

Here's wishing all my US Spark refugees a Thanksgiving filled with its original purpose:  gratitude.  Also as a bonus, with family members (born or chosen) and love.  For peaceful interactions, good food, and maybe a nice walk or romp with the kids, grandkids, or pets, depending on your situation.

Life is good.  Keep on Sparking!

πŸ¦ƒπŸ˜‹πŸ²πŸ”₯πŸ’–

14 comments:

  1. Good health is something for which to be thankful, not just tomorrow, but each and every day. Enjoy the day with family and friends. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping for a happy, healthy Thanksgiving for you as well, Jeanne. Do you have plans to be with friends / family?

      Delete
  2. I used to hate when my mom made cabbage soup 🀒 Why is there no meat? my sister and I would ask, using it as an excuse to not eat it 🀭
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came to appreciate it as an adult. Add cheese or meat, either one, and you have a complete meal.

      Delete
  3. Good job on the experiment. I feel so much better since going back to my more whole food diet. Removing those breads has been helpful although the next few days will be a reset later.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? We both knew what worked for us before... we just drifted away from doing it! Re-establishing good habits! That's us, the A team. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving!

    A belated Happy Birthday! Missed going online for several days. The dog park adventure pics enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All the online greetings made me realized how genuine our connections are, even though we may never meet "in person". Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, too.

      Delete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    I do love me some cabbage soup. Growing up was not a fan, but now love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, came to appreciate cabbage soup as an adult! I think being introduced to Runza sandwiches helped! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

      Delete
  6. I have to say the more I read about your fasting the more interested I have become and when you said less heartburn that really peaked my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been at this for almost four weeks now, and will probably start writing a bit more about it over time. If you have any specific questions about my experience, let me know.

      Just got the pies into the oven, without breaking my fast window. Puffing out my chest a bit. Oh, and I put on a size smaller pair of jeans this morning and they fit better than the ones I had been wearing. Something to be grateful for.

      Delete
  7. Glad that IF is working for you! I do make cabbage soup and indeed, filling, warm, satisfying!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. I'm thinking of IF as the bridge to "intuitive eating", and mainly for the health benefits.

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...