Friday, November 25, 2022

Thanksgiving safely, we hope

Smile with your eyes, ladies!

Navigating the need to see one another, and the need to keep one another safe was the theme of yesterday's feast.  The host and hostess masked, except for when eating and drinking.  Lacey's mom and I followed suit.  Son did a good job of distancing himself, while keeping Carl out of trouble.

 

Our close contact fellow, keeping his social distance

Carl was in heaven, with FIVE people to give him pets and praise.  And bits of acceptable treats, of course!  He feasted, too.

Grandpa Bob and Carl

The meal itself was traditional perfection.  The turkey done just as we all arrived.  The mashed potatoes were brought by Lacey's mom, and were excellent.  They paired well with the gravy that Lacey put together.  Well, I'm sure you all had your own favorites, and I did not take photos of the food... although Lacey did get one of her second turkey!

After dinner, before pie, we moved to the living room for the puzzle of the day, Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving:  What ARE those little "cheetos shaped things" in multiple colors?  They are too big to be jellybeans, but shaped and colored such that they should be just that.

We concluded that the relative size was unimportant to the artist, and they MUST be jellybeans.  Peppermint Patty does not name them in her listing of the foods, either.  So... question to the readers... if you are familiar with the film, have you ever thought about what they are?

From the movie to the video games.  This is a gaming family!  I found another point of commonality with my fellow "mom of the young couple".  We were both hooked on the original Legend of Zelda, with the gold-colored cartridge for the Nintendo machine.  The kids laughed at memories of how their mothers were playing their game!  I recall I was not the only mom in Newark Valley, back in the day, who grabbed her kids' game and played that game through to completion!

I like this pie photo of the blind baking "done" test.  If the knife, inserted halfway between the center and the rim comes out clean, the pie is done.  This test works for all custards, and my pumpkin pie recipe is even titled as "pumpkin custard" in the recipe book.

So, yes, we did break from games to have the pie with decaf coffee.  And whipped cream.  There must be whipped cream.  Tradition!

At the end of the pie and coffee, I started my fast.  Not too much damage on that front.  The program is intact, as long as I defer breakfast this morning until 8:50 a.m. or so.  And to be honest... not... hungry... at all.  Typical of after feast, right?

Now we all monitor our health for the next couple of weeks, to make sure we did NOT get infected by the invisible hand of Covid, and son's close contact.  His co-worker did the responsible thing and let him know.  She did not have symptoms until after the workday, and then she lost her sense of smell, took a test, and bingo... positive.  Given that Son had an appointment at a house with cats, he showered before entering his house after work, so hopefully between that and all the vaccinations and boosters, and everybody doing their best to distance at the gather, we'll all be good.

Some of the gamers, we rotated the three controllers.

Masked hugs and a careful drive home (it was after dark) closed a most satisfying holiday.  Friday morning, I'm still on kitty care duty for my sister, so I'll head over a bit after sunrise and take care of that, then I'm on my own for a peaceful day.

Hope you all had a similarly satisfying and health-conscious holiday!

Life is Good!  Spark on.



18 comments:

  1. Just now catching up on your past few blogs…first of all…Happy Belated Birthday!! Best wishes for a happy, healthy next year of your life journey! Secondly…Congrats on your IF weight loss!! AND, it seems that your family did a great job of safely being together for turkey and visiting!
    As I sit with a fridge full of leftovers from yesterdays feast, including 2 partial pies, I contemplate a kick start on Saturday LOL!! Happy Friday!
    Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's how it rolls... we catch up when we can. I hear you about the leftovers, they sent me home with what I figure is at least two days worth. Good luck with the kick-start.

      Delete
  2. Second turkey?!! What a beautiful bird for a festive feast. Good times, good food, time with family and friends, it doesn't get any better than that. Hope everyone stays well and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, last year was the first time Lacey had ever roasted a turkey. This was the second. She did a great job, both times.

      So far, so fair as far as monitoring health. The kids will retest next Tuesday, as recommended by the CDC. Or sooner if symptoms appear.

      Delete
    2. Okay...color me embarrassed! I read that as two turkeys for yesterday...not in her cooking history. There have been years when I had to cook 2 so we would have left-overs.

      Delete
    3. There *are* years like that, I could have been clearer in the original post! A turkey is practically a rite of passage for "adulting"... I remember the first time I did one, and I'll bet you do, too.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like it was a wonderful day. I sent quite a bit of leftovers home with the kids. I made a whole chicken roulade and roasted it on a bed of leeks, parsnips and carrots. I threw half the veggies in a blender and made a 'gravy' which today will get blended again with the other leftover veggies and turned into soup! The meal that keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Leftovers sent home from this gather, too. Leftovers and re-creations from leftovers are also a tradition!

      Delete
    2. BTW, I always thought they were jellybeans.

      Delete
    3. LOL! Lacey is an artist, and the relative size distracted her.

      Delete
  4. OH my goodness, that turkey looks like perfection! I wish I could have seen Charlie Brown’s Thanksgiving! Not on PBS nor TV channels anymore.

    That pie looks delicious, too. I love the filling, and can do w/o the crust! LOL

    Agreed . . . definitely not hungry this morning after the feast! Will eat around noon. That will be fine!

    Hope that every stays well. And hope that DS stays well despite exposure.

    Hugs
    barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son bought the DVD for his fiancΓ©, as it's one of her favorites. Oh, the pie... it is the crust that makes it... and it is for the crust that I get asked to make it again and again! My son loves it. So of course I have to make it. And we can survive one slice.

      I heard from Lacey this morning, she's feeling fine, Jon (son) had not yet arisen, but it's he that we are monitoring most closely. They've been advised by the CDC to test next Tuesday or sooner if symptoms appear. And in the meantime to mask in public. I figure if it's good enough advice for them, it's good enough for me, too. After all, I sat next to him at table for the meal, and obviously, no masks while eating.

      Delete
  5. Norman Rockwell's painting 'Freedom from Want' popped into my head as I read your blog and enjoyed the complementary photos. Kudos to all of you for being conscientious about health exposures -- rare commodity in these parts. Spouse bought the Peanuts holiday DVD set so must check out this strange food of what you speak since it has always escaped my notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a classic painting, for sure. And reminds me of Thanksgiving feasts from my childhood. As for the health conscientiousness... there was even a plan B, for if anybody waved their hand and said, "nope, don't want to risk it". They were thinking porch pick-ups / drop offs... stop at her folks to drop off turkey meat and gravy, and pick up mashed potatoes, then to my place to drop off a share of those and pick up pies, then back to her folks to drop off their pie portions... it would have been an awful lot of work. I think we did the best thing we could to "live our lives while mitigating risk".

      Good luck spotting what Lacey called "those cheetoh looking things but in multi-colors".

      Delete
  6. Love your sweater/top 😁
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love it, too! Been wearing it for years. It's one of those sweaters that you hang on to until it falls apart at the seams. I know I'm not the only one who has favorites like this. I once had a square necked peasant blouse with colorful embroidery around that neck, and I loved it literally to that point! I was so sad when it went into the rag bag!

      Thanks for the nudge to that memory, Dee! "See you" out there on Runkeeper!

      Delete
    2. I am known to attempt to salvage said seams! I thank my mom for letting me watch her save her favorites 😁
      -RunKeeper Dee

      Delete
    3. You have mad skills, Dee. When the fabric is frayed to the point where if I stitched it up it would no longer fit my body... I toss in the towel.

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...