Sunday, November 27, 2022

It's beginning to look a lot like...

 

I don't do outdoor decorations.  Or rather I only did them ONCE, the year I divorced.  My 19 year old son helped put them up.  However, I live in a neighborhood, so I get to enjoy the things others put up.  I snapped three photos on my walk.  

This first one is where the 12-foot-tall skeletons were at Halloween.

Right next door to the skeleton house

Up a side street, I found a dachshund leading a reindeer.  I think there's a sleigh behind the reindeer, but it didn't get into the frame.

It's always fun seeing how the decorations either change or stay the same over the years.

My son's fiancé has been decorating at their house, too.  I'm showing theirs in sunlight but there are stunning lights, too.  The animals are toasting marshmallows, which she created from moldable clay.


Also, on Saturday, I got the indoor decor up.

Our old friend Frosty the demented Cookie Jar is back.  For anybody who did not already know, Frosty was a re-gift to me from my son's first wife.  She got it in one of those White Elephant work exchanges.  He's goofy because whoever heard of a cookie jar that holds salt and pepper shakers and a cheese spreader?  In any case this cannibalistic snowman tickled my fancy and he has had a prized position in my home every Christmas since.

And of course, there is the crèche that came into this house the first Christmas we spent in it.  I was still married then, and my son's dad was present the first time we put it up.

I put the tree together and went through the usual attempts to figure out how to plug those lights together.  This morning, I lit the candles to enjoy the glow.  Rituals can give us peace, and this is one of mine.

Back in my working days, I would get up in the 4-5 a.m. hour, and light the candles when I came downstairs, to enjoy them while I got things ready for work, including packing my lunch and simmering breakfast of steel-cut oats in skim milk.

In retirement, I have moved from the steel cut to the rolled oats.  The nutritional value is the same.  Every so often, I take the time to make the steel cut kind, for variety.




At some point this season, Frosty will get filled up with goodies.  The little Laplander with his reindeer pulling the sled used to belong to my dad's mother.  The cardinal is a wax warmer that reminded me of my own mom.

Rubia posed with the lit tree in the morning darkness.

Life is good.  Keep the Spark alive!
💖🔥🎄

16 comments:

  1. Animals toasting marshmallows...brilliant! Some people are so creative.

    I've been mulling over the cookie jar. Possibly created for another use...say...filled with crackers on which the cheese could be spread and the shakers filled with spices other than salt and pepper. Something small like poppy seeds??? I totally understand the appeal he has. Why cannibalistic?

    Cute photo of the kitty. At least she's under the tree and not in it. ;-)

    Wishing you a sparkling Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannabalistic because he's holding the heads of three other snowmen, two of them on his tray. Poppy seeds might fit in one of the shakers, I suppose, but I actually put salt and pepper in them. Oh, and the box declares it to be a cookie jar!

      Wishing you a happy Sparkly and healthy Sunday, too!

      Delete
    2. Which only goes to show you that you have to think outside the box! ;-)

      Delete
  2. That is one great cookie jar!!! I can see it being the prize one coming out each year. Us too, we have put out our decorations as it is the weekend of the first Sunday in Advent. One evening we are going to do the drive around for all the lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always the "odd" ones that we prize, right? Enjoy your light tour!

      Delete
  3. I love those things we hang onto. We decorated outside yesterday. My happy snowman of many years is as tall as me and feathered with about 200 sparkly white lights. He's been repaired over the years from squirrels or rabbits chewing through the wires. He did not survive the year in the attic, though, less than half the lights lit. I opted to use him one more time and set a string of those C9 sized LED lights along his interior silhouette. It looks dumb! I'll post a picture in a few days. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a bit like my pre-wired lights on my tree. One of these years I will figure out the formula, but in the meantime, I just do my best and live with a "dark section" of the tree. I'll probably piece at it one more time before adorning it with ornaments.

      I shall look forward to your snowman hack photo!

      Delete
  4. OMG! Laughed @ the dachshund reindeer. So cute.

    Love Frosty. And Rubia looks so regal surveying her Christmas decoration kingdom!

    Here's to a great Sunday.

    hugs
    barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a great Sunday wished to you and yours as well. Would you believe I have a banana nut bread loaf in the oven? Smells like the holidays.

      Delete
  5. Love your unusual snowman cookie jar… he has character! Also, the pic of Rubia enjoying the morning Christmas lights is precious! My interior decor is up…house looks festive!! Most of my holiday stuff has been around a few years (or decades) and it’s sort of like greeting an old friend when it gets to make yet another holiday appearance. Comforting in a way…. Happy Sunday! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. My ornament collection dates back to my first apartment away from living with my folks, and trickles through all the years since. It brings back memories of Christmases past when we collected them, doesn't it?

      Happy Sunday to you and yours as well.

      Delete
  6. I love all of your decor and the memories that they bring. That's one of the joys of Christmas; being able to enjoy those special items when it's a dark time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks so festive, love it! We're going to start this week with things. It'll take us about two weeks, but then we'll keep it up until sometime in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be constrained by the family of my upbringing because of a December 9th birthday and a December 27th birthday. Christmas had to be crammed between those days. Since being an adult, I'm good with Thanksgiving to Epiphany. I like Christmas to take its time!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...