Tuesday, November 1, 2022

The morning after the night before

 

These were the final trick or treaters before I shut down for the night.  They were a family group.  Mom was the Cheshire cat (great make up job), Dad was the Mad Hatter (awesome costume), while the kids were Alice and the White Rabbit.  

I ended up giving away about 3/4 of the candy I had stocked for the purpose, so now I will have to find a way to dispose of the rest without putting it all in (and consequently on) my body. 

On the intermittent fasting experiment, I survived Halloween on it!  I started my fast after an early supper at 4:44 p.m.  It ended when I put almond milk in my coffee this morning at 6:47 a.m.  So based on that, it wants me to being my next fast at 4:47 p.m.  Apparently, it has decided on a 14 hour fast, and a 10 hour eating window, to begin with.

Now it is Dia de los Muertos, in the Mexican culture.  I have learned over the years that it is not a spooky kind of observance, but a welcoming of the blessings of those who have gone on before.  Today, I choose to honor my sister-in-law and my brother with some brief memories.  I am also remembering my parents and grandparents, all of whom have "graduated" from earthly living.

My sister-in-law has been in my thoughts, partly because of my visit over the weekend with her daughter.  But she'd been in my dreams last month, too.  She was my age, and come January, she will have been gone 10 years.  The last couple of years of her life were not pleasant ones (she was diagnosed with ALS, and it was a downhill slide of life function eventually ending).  But she was a brave woman, and on learning of her illness, her comment was simply, "I hope I'm up to it."  

I've always liked this photo of her, taken in her late 20's.  She was a beauty.


You've all heard the tale of my brother.  He took up running in his mid 50's, and turned out to be very good at it.  He qualified for the Boston marathon with the running of his very first Marathon, at Buffalo New York.  This is a very rare thing.  He belonged to a running club, and one year was part of a national championship age group team.

Even running and being in great shape could not overcome those old genetics.  One blessing was that he joyfully ran on the last day of his life.  My tag line "life is good" was his, as well, and I continue using it to honor him.  I think of him regularly, and in particular, whenever I see the number 404, which was the bib number he wore in his final race.

Interesting connection between the two?  404 is the street address of my niece's shop.

May November be a wonderfully healthy month for all of us, whatever choices we make to support that.  

Life is good.  Spark on!

🔥💖

14 comments:


  1. Glad that the intermittent fasting worked for you.

    Awwww, I remember your blogging about your SIL’s battle. She was indeed beautiful and brave!

    I know you have so many wonderful memories of Kevin. He will always be missed!

    Wishing you a healthy November, as well.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a nice conversation with my trainer this morning, in that we share having lost someone dear to ALS. His mom, my SIL. Honored, as well as missed.

      Delete
  2. We had 27 trick or treaters last night -- I watched them on our RING doorbell camera while shutting myself off in another area of the house with the two dogs who were besides themselves for not being where the action was. Something that I noticed was most of them just held out their collection container when husband opened the door and didn't say a word until he coaxed them into speaking. Spouse goes big on candy volume from Costco so lots on hand beginning in early October. So far I've been able to avoid processed sugar in any form while tracking my blood sugar for Diabetes2 since 23 Feb 2022.

    I pretty much follow a 16:8 intermittent fasting which flies in the face of Diabetic Association recommendations but works for me for now. Tomorrow no food as part of prep for colonoscopy and endoscopy on Thursday.

    Nice memorial tribute for your SIL and Kevin.

    Here's to a healthy November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I stood out in the driveway and greeted the kiddos with a question or two: "Are those your SHOES lighting up? You're so sparkly!", and ALL of the kiddos had parents in tow to prompt them to speak, did not have the silence problem.

      Mom or dad would say to the younger shyer ones: "what do you say?" and after they got their treats, "Remember to say thank you..." I love this... old fashioned way to teach manners to the young. I hope they enjoy their treats.

      Good job YOU, on avoiding sugar. It is a terrible craving trigger for most of us! Find what works and work it is a winning strategy. Good luck with the medicalizing later in the week (and the prep).

      Delete
  3. All our kids were cute and polite. Lots of 'thank you's'. I told DH he was going to be greeted with giggles and he was...I take the screen off the window to hand candy out. Seems the kids get a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both kids and parents were amused by the "choose whichever one you want" of the little baggies full of goodies on the railing. The only difference in the baggies was what color of Tootsie Roll Pop was with the Reese's and Hershey's. But kids do like to choose!

      I got rid of the excess this afternoon when three young men were mowing and edging my lawn... "do me a favor, and help me get these out of my house", sez I. Young men doing manual labor need extra calories, even if the calories are junk!

      Delete
  4. My sincere condolences for your losses. Nice tributes for SIL and your brother. The number connection is kinda spooky in a good way. Today, my middle daughter and I traveled to the cemetery to leave a fall decoration below my husband's niche and the service coins in the crevice.
    Happy November. Life IS good! Stay sparkly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a lovely remembrance for you husband. It doesn't matter how many years pass; we still remember that they were a big part of our lives. Have a great mid-week!

      Delete
  5. Couldn’t publish my reply on the previous blog, but yes, my hat is orange. Mini sized, it’s on a tiny alligator clip 🤭
    Dia de Los Muertos celebrates the children today, the adults tomorrow. It’s supposed to be a happy thing (hence the celebration), but I’m still sad over my lost adults🥺
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome... you taught me something today (about the two days). I knew it was a happy thing, happy that they were a part of our lives, but you know, happy and sad can co-exist, can't they? Happy we had them, sad they are no longer physically present?

      Delete
    2. I can’t even think of the happy times without sobbing still😔
      -RunKeeper Dee

      Delete
    3. There is no time-table for grief. If you still need to cry over your loved ones, allow yourself the grace to do so!

      Delete
  6. Lovely tribute to your loved ones. Today was hard because it's our main tribute day to my dad. My mom was sad, but we had some laughs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those times of sadness for the dear ones departed can get triggered years later. I still have them, especially for my brother, but that loss is more recent (3 years and a few months ago).

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...