Thursday, November 3, 2022

November starts out mild

The Halloween moon is gracing my blog face today.  But the reason I put it there is because I noticed on my calendar that the full moon lands on election day next week.  Yikes!  Cross your fingers, folks, for a peaceful day and no need for any media hype!

It's been cool the past few mornings, warming into high temperatures in the shirt-sleeve range by afternoon.  This will last at least a few more days before "normal" temperatures assert themselves.  I am very conscious of the growing hours / minutes of darkness, and the angles of sunlight.  The temperatures have not matched the expectations of my observant mind.  This weekend we will be doing "Fall Back", perhaps for the last time.  They still have not figured out how to deal with the light/dark equation when it comes to work / school commuting schedules, but I can say it affects when I make appointments for, considering I have self-selected to avoid driving in the dark.

Wednesday morning, I drove over for a training session for dealing with my sister's kitty meds.  It's changed for one of her geriatric kitties, now requiring tag-teaming between me and her gentleman friend up the street.  I'll take on mornings for sis's next trip, and he'll do the afternoon/evening shift.  

This is Ginger, my sister's kitty that does not require the meds.  It is her "shaming" photo from the day she destroyed the pom-pom on my cap!  I don't have a photo of Spice, the kitty who now takes 2-3 pills a day.  But I got to see her, and she looks SO much better than she did the last time I was watching them.

In between, sis had taken Spice to the vet, and they've been adjusting thyroid meds ever since.  For sis, it's been "an adventure in creativity" figuring out how best to get the kitty to take said meds.  Current strategy is to crush the half pill, mix with tuna juice, and serve before feeding regular breakfast.

Rubia health update: I got the call back from her vet Wednesday afternoon as I was out walking with the Ace.  She says Rubia does not need to keep taking the meds, so I'm sure Rubia is happy about that.  The slides from the lump were not clear-cut but did rule out a couple different kinds of cancer.  The best next step would be to take a sample of the lump (surgical).  These were just slides from aspiration of the lump.  The vet is concerned about the lump because of its irregular shape and that it might be growing.  She would recommend removing it before it grows more.  I asked for an estimate (not yet received), and we penciled her in for the 16th.  

Intermittent Fasting update:  This will be day four.  Difference between this app and Cronometer?  It doesn't track how much of what you eat, only the content of your meals.  So for example, instead of tracking "rolled oats, 1/2 cup dry, skim milk, 1 cup, blueberries 3/4 cup", my breakfast would simply be recorded as "fruits, grains and cereals, dairy".  It also tracks whether your meal was homemade, restaurant, fast food, pre-packaged, etc.  How you felt about your meal, your reason for eating, and where and with whom you consumed it.  It tracks hydration, too, and automatically adds in an allowance for fluid in drinks other than water (coffee, tea, milk, etc.)

Do I like it?  Still learning, so there is the positivity of doing something new (while being well rested and not stressed).  Well rested and not stressed is important to the joy of learning, for me.  The jury is still out, because I'm not a "love at first sight" kind of a gal.  

Here's hoping whatever you're doing for your own health, it's working for YOU.  The old Spark reminders:

  • Drink your water.
  • Eat foods that support your immune system.
  • Get some activity in your day.
  • Remember to breathe!
  • And at the end of the day, rest peacefully, knowing you did your best, and this is enough!
Life is good.  Spark on!

🔥💖🦃

12 comments:

  1. Good to hear that the kitties are on the mend although I know what you mean about giving meds to cats. It can be a huge challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do our best and call it good, with the kitty meds, right?

      Delete
  2. I, too, noticed the full moon for next Tuesday and had the same thought. When I was still teaching, I would usually be the first voter, arriving at 6 am to vote as soon as the polls opened, before going on to school. This year, I'll wait until it's daylight, as the walk to the voting location is paved with old red bricks that are very uneven.

    You have become the kitty whisperer. Good luck with the meds. Good luck with the surgery prognosis.

    Hope you can find an intermittent fasting routine that works for you. I've read this program has produced good results.

    Enjoy this beautiful weather. For today, the weekend cold front is predicted to travel north (your area) and miss us. Warm temps are predicted for us well into next week. Of course, we all know that Mother Nature does as she pleases. Proving the weather people wrong is one of her greatest feats. ;-)

    Wishing you a fantastic day! Keep Sparking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, it's been relatively effortless. I anticipate that they will start extending the "fast" window as time goes on. They said in their little information blurbs that 14:10 was to make it more palatable for newbies. Reading on their support page, seems a lot of people take it as far as 17:7. We'll just see what the body says.

      Glad you're getting some warm temps... it's like an extra gift in November!

      Delete
  3. Ohhhhhh well, that’s not a good omen w/a full moon on election day. Things are weird enough!

    Glad that Ginger’s thyroid meds are getting adjusted. It’s tricky in humans to! Such a small glad but does a lot in the body!

    Awwww, prayers that Rubia’s procedure goes well on the 16th. Poor baby.

    Yes, not a fan of change, either, but try to keep an open mind when dealing with change. Never easy

    Here’s to a thankful Thursday, and I am thankful for the abundant sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunshine is almost always welcome, but I'll also be glad of tomorrow's predicted rain! Have a wonderful Thankful Thursday!

      Delete
  4. Tuesday I had an appointment to get to by 7:15am and I opened the door to darkness out still, was odd. I have the Sky Guide app on my phone to find the planets and stars in the sky since we have so many city lights or clouds blocking most celestial events. Great distraction.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next week it will be lighter in the morning again, as we "Fall back"... perhaps for the last time?

      Delete
  5. Keeping fingers crossed that things go well with Rubia.

    Oooh a full moon on election day. Hopefully things goes well with it. I just finished up my ballot and will drop them off in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Rubia and I appreciate it.

      I dropped my ballot off already... I'm a fan of dropping it at the election office drop box, myself, that way I know it got there! Of course, pre-pandemic I was an election day vote in person voter. But I have discovered the convenience of this method. I hear some states do it all with mail in?

      Delete
  6. Uh-oh on the full moon on election day. Since we have so much craziness in the air, perhaps this will have an opposite affect of calming the crazies. One can hope!

    I voted by mail-in ballot last Tuesday and husband in-person, early voting.

    Well wishes for Rubia's upcoming surgery.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those well-wishes for Rubia. I was certainly willing, all those years, to show up at the polls to vote, but this mail/drop off routine makes it so easy. Also makes it easy to vote the way you intend, as you have your ballot at home and can look things up. Can't always do that inside a polling booth. Early in-person voting is great for those whose schedules don't allow for access on election day, too.

      Prayers for calmness and acceptance of the outcomes.

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...