Monday, November 14, 2022

A fresh new week

 

This time of year, you can't trust bright sunshine to give you a hint of the temperature.  This photo was taken on Saturday the 12th of November.  I think it was in the 20's (F) when I took it.  Brrr.  

But it will get colder as the season progresses.

I am feeling blessed by the dry roads in the forecast this week, as I have that whole "jury duty" thing, which is uncertain.  If I get put on an actual jury, I might have to be driving downtown more than just today.

Then we have Rubia's surgery, which is still scheduled for Wednesday.  If I get put on a longer-term jury, I might have to shuffle that, but probably not.  Over next weekend, I'll be on cat duty for my sister who is going to be in Kansas with her daughter's family.  So it's a dance of a week.  Reminds me of my pre-retirement days!

It reminded me of that even more as those "things that happen" had to be dealt with "before work".  In the case of this morning, that included trying to open my new bottle of eye drops.  Are they fixing those caps on tighter at the factory these days, or is it me?  I ended up having to go down to the junk drawer and get the pliers to twist it off.  It also included figuring out how to replace the batteries in my digital "no touch" thermometer.  Some of these things it's hard to figure out how to open the battery compartment!  Anyway, I declare victory over both challenges.

I drove down with plenty of time to spare.  No matter what else, I'm still my father's daughter.  Through the metal detectors, up the elevator to the "public lounge" where we were to report, with 25 minutes to spare.

Started checking out the others in this pool.  A good mix, mostly white, but not all.  Some had brought laptops and were working away.  Just about everybody had their faces in their phone screens. I set my phone to "do not disturb" as judges get grumpy if your phone interrupts.  This is known.

Eventually, the bailiff called us out in a specific order to be seated.  I was in seat #18.  There were 40 in the immediate pool, but probably another dozen to be replacements if any got excused "for cause".  The judge introduced himself and the nature of the case (criminal) and the charges.  He said a case of this nature would probably take "about a week" to try.  The head started spinning about what all I might have to shuffle if I needed to be at the courthouse from 9 - 5 every day for a week.  He asked folks if they had commitments that would make it hard for them to serve during that week.  Two gents who were to be pallbearers at funerals in the next few days were excused.

Then there were the usual questions about who knows whom, and the questions about whether that relationship would influence their doing the job as a juror.  One of them went to high school with the judge.  Another had done some business with one of the defense attorneys.  A couple of the jurors knew each other.  None of these things resulted in excusing anyone..

Then things got into the specifics of the case and personal experiences that might influence one's mindset.  Both sets of attorneys had their chance.  The prosecutor went first.  A couple of the prospective jurors admitted that they did not think they could be impartial given the nature of the charges... "this is not the job for me" said one man.  He also got excused, but I think the woman was allowed to remain.

After a break, the defense attorney asked her own questions.  The main focus was the ability of jurors to be able to presume innocence on the part of the accused, and put the state's case, essentially to the test of "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt".  There were a couple of jurors who admitted it was hard, given the preliminary questions we'd been asked, to presume from the get-go that the accused was innocent.  But that was all talked around, and in the end, "if that's what the law says I have to say" resulted in no one else being excused for cause.

Neither of the attorneys asked me a single follow up question.  

There was about 15 - 20 minutes of back and forth passing of a clipboard, while the attorneys on both sides exercised their peremptory dismissals.  This was done silently, with the bailiff passing that clipboard back and forth.  At the end of all that, the clipboard went back to the judge, and the bailiff read the names of the jurors who would stay to hear the case.

My name was not among them.  Those of us not chosen were dismissed with a "verification of attendance at court" for employers.  For those with a passing interest in how things are done in this neck of the woods, by the end of next week, I will be 70, and at 70, you can simply say you don't want to serve as a juror and it's an automatic approved excuse.  I would have served my best had they chosen me, but I did not make the cut, and in a way, I have to say I am relieved.

At about 1:30 p.m., I was pulling on my gloves and heading out into the dancing snow flurries (tiny flakes, wetting the sidewalks, but not sticking).  It essentially is the same commute home from the courthouse as it used to be from work.  The snacks I packed got consumed at home as lunch.

Tomorrow, I will be able to work out with my trainer, and I get to enforce fasting on both cats to ensure that Rubia fasts before her surgery on Wednesday.  On Friday, I will have no conflicts to worry about while dealing with my sister's kitties and the one cat's medications.  

Life goes on.  Life is GoodSpark on!

๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ’–✨

10 comments:

  1. Must be a big sigh of relief for you. For me, I was hoping you'd get some politician's criminal trial. Just think what you could have written (anonymously of course) about the day to day goings on...maybe a novella. Oh, well. Just my inner Perry Mason begging to be set free. ;-)

    Replacing batteries in some of those things requires a skill set I do not possess. I can fiddle with those things, trying to get them open, until my frustration level hits a new high. BUT Let me accidentally drop one of those things and it flies apart and the batteries roll into another dimension that requires an extensive search. Usually under some piece of furniture that has me crawling on the floor.

    Snow is predicted to start here around midnight resulting in an accumulation of a couple of inches. I will be soooo grateful if this is the first and last snow of the winter.

    Good luck with your fur baby on Wednesday and sister's kitties on the weekend. You have a big heart!!

    Wishing you a Sparking evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know jurors are not allowed to discuss the case, even on-line, while it is in progress. But yes, going through the process does make it possible to project on to court room fiction. The charges in this case are pretty heavy to even think about, which made jury selection interesting, as personal experience as a victim or friend of a victim was shared, and some deep thoughts about how that might affect each one in terms of partiality were shared.

      Welp, I know it's not the last snow of the season here!

      The good luck will be used up tomorrow when I have to put both kitties on a fast, which means putting away their food and keeping them inside overnight... and surviving their demands to the contrary!

      Delete
  2. I've been called four times to jury duty, went into the court room twice, but never served on a jury. The process is so interesting when you get there. Most people hate the whole thing, but I would like to serve on a jury just once. My mom has been on about four juries, even a murder trial. She's was called so many times that they've officially retired her from being called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting process, I agree. I did the math, there were about 60 people there. Only 12 comprise the jury. So your odds of actually ending up ON the jury are less than 25%. I thought when they asked me no questions, I would likely get picked. But no... and at my age it is doubtful I'll be called again.

      Delete
  3. Why is it things tend to get piled into the same day/week and then there can be days/weeks with nothing happening๐Ÿค” I hate the pile-ups.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My brother used to call this being "over-scheduled". One needs "free time" to recharge. But it's clearing up. I'm trusting God to take care of me this week, and hopefully to take care of Rubia and guide her vets. At least this morning I'll have my regular workout!

      Delete
  4. My hubby tells them that he believes in hanging for jaywalking, that usually gets him dismissed - LOL, just kidding. I really found it interesting to hear the details. I have never been summoned so hadn't had a clue how it all goes about, except on TV of course. Good you week is going to go as you wanted it to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My older sister once told them that yes, she probably would believe a police officer over an ordinary citizen. She was not selected as a juror. A lot of the questions they ask are because of the specific case being tried. We got asked a lot of things like had we or anyone close to us been a victim of this type of crime. We got asked about witness credibility, too.

      Delete
  5. I've been called for potential jury duty multiple times and served twice. One was a wrongful death suit against a small airplane manufacturer that lasted two weeks. The other was an attempted murder at a homeless shelter. Later on the juror pools were asked if they had any family members in law enforcement -- I had a City Policeman, a County Deputy Sheriff and a high-ranking officer in the Border Patrol. I never was chosen again and wondered if having related civil servants was the reason.

    Hope all goes wll with Rubia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have gotten quite savvy about selecting juries. When you consider that they question 40 people and only select 12, chances are good you won't get picked. They also asked who had served on a jury before, how long ago, what kind of case it was, and whether they remembered the outcome.

      Got my reminder call from the vet just now about Rubia's surgery. She will have to stay overnight at the vet tomorrow night.

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...