Sunday, April 7, 2024

Carl meets Ember

We have a meet-up slated for Sunday noontime between Carl and Ember, in a nearby park. 

Saturday night it rained and the thunder boomed and the wind knocked over some neighborhood items, including a basketball hoop halfway up the block (one of those weighted down by sandbags, not cemented in).  Ember got wet and did not do her business, so I put her back in her safe space.  

Some of you may have read that Carl doesn't care for the "sky water".  Ember did jump a bit at the thunder, but then just kind of scurried toward the deck and asked to go back inside.  I got wet.  So did she.  We toweled her off and put her back into her "safe space" which I left downstairs for the evening.  Turns out I left it downstairs overnight, too.  She doesn't fuss much any more when put into the crate, and downstairs is closer to the door to outside, so less chance of accidents in the night.

Ember did defer "doing her business" until after the rain stopped, no accidents in the crate.  

Prisoner did come inside for the night, before it started storming.

Puppy cuteness of the day... chewing on dandelions before supper!

On Saturday afternoon, first "dental" treat chomped.  I gave it to her on her first day home and it's taken her a week to decide to really commit to it.  She had nosed and licked at it but never taken it on until Saturday. 

Sunday morning I took the first baby gate out of its box.  I have not installed the "door cups" on the wall, but this will keep little one Ember out of the family room and laundry room downstairs for a while.  Also keeps her away from the cat's litter boxes, while allow for a cat (who will soon learn to leap up and over that gate) to have access.

Where I would like to put the second baby gate would be at the foot of the stairs, as we have had two accidents on the stairs themselves.  However, I'm not sure that would completely work (to prevent accidents, that is), and I know it won't attach in that spot.


Carl and Ember together.  

Before they came to the appointed park, my son and his wife took Carl to the dog park for about an hour of romping.  So he was appropriately tired out.

I bundled Ember into her crate in the hatch of my little car and drove to the park entrance, where I left her chilling in the crate while "the kids" got Carl out to greet me.

Son and DIL walked Carl into the park and waited while I carried Ember over the footbridge to the meeting point.  When I put her down and she saw Carl (his size), Ember gave a squeaky little sound, but then they sniffed one another and it was cousin love!

Both dogs got oodles of praise.  Son kept a firm hand on Carl's leash "just in case" but it seemed like he immediately recognized "puppy, be gentle".

For her part, Ember had immediate hero worship.  I think she would have followed Carl anywhere at this point.

She pointed her nose where he pointed his.  She adopted his postures.  We kept it relatively brief, and these photos are courtesy of my daughter in law, who is an accomplished photographer.


While we were in the park, who should come walking by but my neighbor Bill with his rough-coated collie, Barnaby!  Ember greeted the "first friend" she had made on the block (they touched noses earlier in the week).

Barnaby is a nicely mannered well-brought up dog, as well, and it was all-around a pleasant outing.




On the way back to the vehicles, Carl behaving on leash even while his dad pets the puppy being carried by his grandma.  We've anthropomorphized (as pet owners are wont to do) the dogs by calling them "cousins".  

Oh, and I found out that Ember's in-town litter mate has been named Paisley, and she is taking Zoom Room Puppy classes, too, but she's in the Sunday class.  So I have swapped Ember's registration for next weekend's class to Sunday so the litter mates will have a chance to see one another in class.  I hope that goes as well, and they do not distract one another or the class too much!

Life is good.  Keep on Sparking!





13 comments:

  1. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ ~Auntie Eee πŸ₯°

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet batch of photos! Fun way to spend a spring afternoon at the park. πŸ˜ΈπŸΆπŸ€—πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was glad the weather and the human schedules aligned. Are you in prime eclipse viewing territory? From the map that NASA put out it looks like only about the SE corner of MO is there, and none of Nebraska! But here we're in the 80% occlusion band, and I have my eclipse glasses tested to make sure they don't have scratches or nicks... so I should be safe checking it out.

      Delete
  3. Whew! All caught up on the puppy news.
    I needed the smiles after the week I’ve had.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly made my life busy! And Mt. St. OhMyGawd has become Mt. St. OhTheDawg!

      Delete
    2. I was thinking of volunteering somewhere to get my puppy fix, but its not all fun & puppies😁

      Delete
    3. No, and even puppies are not ALL fun, but they are so darned cute they are forgiven much!

      Delete
  4. Lots of puppy cuteness to start my day - I love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do not stay little for long! Glad it brightened your day, too.

      Delete
  5. Wow on the cousins' size difference -- for a little while! Ember looked larger in her closeups shared but nice to see the comparison.

    We are in the direct path of the eclipse and I have glasses ready and alarm set for 20 minutes ahead of time to not miss it. Spouse drove to a sister & brother-in-law's about 50 miles from here to have much less obstruction from trees to get his photos.

    Carl & Ember bring smiles to this household in Central TX.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to oblige! I was glad that DIL took those photos as Son and I had our hands full supervising canines. Yes, they did wonderfully, but that kind of wonderful doesn't happen without watchfulness and reinforcement.

      Hope your eclipse experience was all you could hope for! And that your spouse got just the photos he wanted.

      Delete
  6. Good deal, that the meet-up went well with the pups.

    ReplyDelete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...