Monday, April 29, 2024

Something I forgot about puppies

Early this morning I called the HVAC place I subscribe to and asked them to send someone to survey the damage that Ember had inflicted to the insulation around the piping.  

I was pleasantly surprised that they were Johnny on the Spot able to get to me shortly after 9 a.m.  The young man replaced a section of it and covered the other section with a new piece and zip tied everything in place.

He recommended that I try to put a barrier in place to deter her continued attention, suggesting my weed tubs.  So as soon as he was gone, I strategically placed two of them.

He was done with the job before 10, so I got Ember out of her den to get her some activity before the scheduled time of 11 a.m. for a handyman to come look at my woodpecker issues.

However, a phone call from the Handyman service informed me that he would be arriving late, due to issues at his prior job.  I'm cool with that.  After all, if it were my job where there were issues, I would want them fixed right, even if it took longer than anticipated.  Besides, I noted, it would give me more time to wear out the puppy before he got here.

The new estimated time was 12:30 p.m.  I figured, that's enough time for a "big girl leash" walk, practicing our skills.  

What I forgot:  A walk for a puppy who is only 12 weeks old probably should be shorter than the 0.59 mile route we took.  Ember poohed out on me with several blocks to go and I had to coax her the rest of the way.  When we got home, she collapsed in a tired heap on the cool tile of the dining room.  I left her sleeping there for a while before gently moving her to her den.

The Handyman arrived about 1:30 p.m., but here's the good part:  their service dispatch updated me again, with a phone call, and a text when he was on the way.  When he got here, I met him outside, and we discussed the job.  The original estimate was for four hours, based on what I told the dispatch on the phone.  We changed the plan a bit based on his expertise and visual observation of the side of the house in question.  Still going to be about a four-hour job, he estimates.  Approved the work, and he's out there doing his thing:  going to replace parts of the siding, match color for touch up paint, for the two most vulnerable spots.  The places that are still wire mesh, he might do a little re-covering of, and touch up painting, too.  I'm just so relieved to have found someone who can do the work.

Oh, and any fans of Chewy out there?  I was most surprised, I ordered some food puzzles and a car seat belt connector on Sunday, and bingo!  They arrived Monday morning even before the HVAC guy arrived.  Ember spotted the snuffle mat when it was atop Mt. St. OTheDog, and remembered (apparently) what it was.  The puppies at Preschool had been given puzzles on Sunday, including a snuffle mat.  


That sucker was going to take some prep work to fill it, so I had to put it away for a while.  I got it back out right before her suppertime, and she was very patient letting me take the time to load it.  Then she had a great time finding all the treats!

I am declaring this particular enrichment tool a win.

Another win is for The Prisoner.  He's looking much more robust, now that we've figured out the breakfast arrangements and he's getting his full ration.  He asked to come upstairs and outside this morning at a point when Ember was in her den, so we had some quality mommy-kitty time on the deck.



Bad news:  The Handyman says my siding is not available locally.  They can order it in, but no estimate on when it comes.  Might be later this week, or next week.  Might not be the same handyman sent out next time, either.  But he put up a temporary fix to keep the woodpeckers away in the meantime. It's not pretty, but hopefully it will be effective at keeping Woody the Woodpecker and his family evicted!

As long as there is a plan, I'm good.  

The bug guys are coming on Thursday morning, to do the outside work.  It coincides with my trainer workout time, and I had some indoor treatment I wanted them to do... so it could be a split thing... outdoor to keep the barriers in place, then reschedule later do the indoor part.

That's the deal with home ownership... always something, eh?

Still, Life is Good! Spark on!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the barriers. Please don't solve this problem with a move to South Dakota.
    You're lucky the siding can be ordered. It will be worth the wait. Agree. If your a homeowner, it's always 6 of one half dozen of another.
    Sounds like a winning situation for poor kitty. More robust is a good sign. He is so handsome!!
    Success with all the projects. πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸΆπŸ˜Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good with the barriers. I do have to monitor, but once we got the idea, and as long as that's not the most exciting thing in the yard... fingers crossed.

      Prisoner got his breakfast first, down in the laundry room, and I'm thinking we'll be trying to make this the routine. The puppy is then distracted by going out and getting her own breakfast, so the kitty has some peace. And shelter from the elements, too.

      Delete
  2. I like that snuffle mat!

    Yep, always something. We came home from someplace and heard an awful screeching noise, the attic fan. I had to climb up the pull-down attic stairs to open the wall box and disconnect the power to the fan that clearly busted a bearing. DH can't get up there anymore.
    I asked my SIL if he remembered helping me install an attic fan about 14 years ago. He said "barely". I stated no problem, you're going to help me again!
    I figure I'll give up the DIY when I'm 80!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you sound like one of my former neighbors... when she was in her 80's she wanted to help me prop up my fence. I was then in my 50's and mortified!

      Now that I'm in my 70's, not so much so! I'm more than ready, though, to pay the handyman and spend my energy on the puppy! LOL

      Delete
  3. Looks like Ember really likes that puzzle snuffle mat! Have to check out Chewy.

    Good you got the HVAC issue taken care of, too. Now . . . to finalize the solution to the woodpecker problem! They can do so much damage!

    Yup . . . homeownership presents a wealth of opportunities to spend money, doesn’t it! Had a light switch fixed yesterday. Today was reattaching a cabinet in the laundry room. HOPEFULLY that’s it for awhile on the house expenses

    Tomorrow Miss Lilly gets groomed, so that will be good.

    HUGS
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your Miss Lilly loves her grooming as much as our first dog Lilly did hers. She always seemed so proud coming home in her new cut with bows over her ears (she was a white/buff cockapoo mix), and she's been gone for many, many years, but somehow grooming makes me think of her.

      Hugs back!

      Delete

Day 3: the back yard weed maze is gone

  Ember still likes to just lie down in the grass and feel the air and listen to the sounds of the birds.  But she knows her world is changi...