Thursday, April 25, 2024

Ember growth compared to Auntie Alicia

First photo with Auntie Alicia, April 3rd, 2024.  Ember looks so tiny!

Three weeks later, sprawling under Auntie Alicia's feet in the back yard.  April 24, 2024.

But when Auntie Alicia stands up, Ember still looks pretty small, just not AS small as three weeks ago.  Gaining weight as she grows, the vet's scale said 23.4 pounds.


We continue to work on puppy lessons (no surprise there), but we have only one more appointment for puppy shots.  Various theories of when to spay versus lifetime risks for disease were discussed with the vet.

Thursday it was chilly and rainy outside, and I forget just what Ember did to need a quiet time at 7 a.m., but it was something.  I think it was her usual morning puppy Zoomies plus teeth, so I put her in for a puppy nap, while I took a Mommy minute.  About that time, my trainer messaged me that another client had cancelled, so could I start my warmup at 9 a.m.

Consequently, between taking the time to get ready and go, the workout, and come home, Ember was in for longer than some days.  But she does get used to it.  

Meanwhile, the woodpecker...

Here he is, poking his head and beak out of the hole he has expanded!  Yikes!

I had the call in to Ace Handyman Services.  Turns out they are an extension of Ace Hardware, use all employees, no sub-contractors.  They called me back while I was mid-workout, but my little Google Pixel Watch connects to my phone, and I was like Dick Tracy of old with the wrist radios, talking to their admin while I was doing my lunges.  

Anyway, she checked with their craftsman and the craftsman said yes, he could do this (I estimated about 10 spots that need reinforcing).  She gave me both a time and dollar estimate: 3 - 4 hours, and at the outside $500.  Worth it to save my wiring and maybe restore some of the insulation this dude dropped onto my patio!  He is coming Monday around mid-day.

It got all wet and yucky in the rain, and I picked up some of it, and left other parts of it, cautioning Ember to "leave the yuckies".  She did pretty well about that... it must not taste good, that insulation, and even seems to be learning "spit it out" as a phrase, related to things that are not food.

I have five more days to live with pounding on the walls to try to deter the woodpecker, but I'm pretty sure he's not bothered by a few loud noises.

The day went on.  I got Ember out for some great games of "chase the ball" alternating 3 balls that aren't the kind that get soggy.  I waited it out during a break in the showers until she did her business.

We came in for an early supper, and once well fed, Ember started to tire out, and laid at my feet in the kitchen while I put a yam in to bake.  I gave her a couple bits of my afternoon snack apple, and she seemed to like that.

About 3:45, she voluntarily went into her den, without my even suggesting it, coming out for a quick cuddle so I could release her from the house line.  When the tired puppy sleeps gently in your arms... well, whatever they did in the day is forgiven!

Life is good.  Spark on!


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and Ember had a good day.

    Glad you have someone to repair the woodpecker damage. Sheesh!

    Glad you were able to get the handyman appt scheduled WHILE doing your lunges! LOVE my smartwatch. We were just talking about that. I remember reading Dick Tracy as a kid, thinking . . . wow. How cool it would be to talk on a watch. And here we are! We can talk on our watch. Amazing, isn't it!

    Good job, Ember!

    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought I would NEVER use that feature! Just goes to show, we old dogs DO learn new tricks!

      Delete
  2. Finding a craftsman so quickly is great. Will he be able to put some kind of bird deterrent on the replacement?

    I remember when I used to measure my height on the buttons of my mom's dress front. Ms. Blueberry is measure by how high she is on Alicia's leg. πŸ‘–
    πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸΆπŸ˜Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but I will ask about the bird deterrent. Considering the last two "fixes" survived 6 years and then four years, respectively, it could be time to up the game.

      LOL about how we measure height and size by relativity. It's so true... I remember milestones like when my son topped me in height, and when he fit into his father's Class A uniform jacket (age 12, no less). I was firmly convinced as a 4 year old that I had not grown since I was two... and I think I was basing this on relative size to my big sister! Kid's brains!

      Have a wonderful Friday... it's "close all the state offices" Day here in Nebraska, formally called Arbor Day!

      Delete
  3. Awww, she's learning where to go to quiet down. That's a great step.
    Wow on the woodpecker. There's a lot of damage to be had there.
    Fortunately our homes have no wooden walls but the birds love to use the furnace vents as drums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So small, yet so destructive. Birds! I'm living in an Alfred Hitchcock film! Fortunately, it's just ONE that is my nemesis, they haven't ganged up on me yet.

      Delete
  4. That woodpecker debris is alarming. What a pain - glad you got someone scheduled.
    Ember ❤️ what can I say? Adorable. ~Ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! I'm going to see how this goes, but to have a company with employees, insured and bonded, providing handyman services here in town seems like both a good business opportunity for them, and a blessing for folks like me!

      I mean, going on apps and finding so-called gig workers sometimes works out OK, but... I like the local firm idea better, providing benefits and stability for those workers.

      Delete
  5. ACE Hardware is my favorite hardware store here in California. They are are always helpful, and fortunately, the bigger box stores did not run all of them out.

    We don't get so much bird damage here, but ground squirrels!! They can do some damage to plants and wiring of vehicles which are parked for periods of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like every place has their own local "challenges" in terms of animals adapting to the human invasion of their ecosystems.

      Delete

Sunday afternoon, Monday morning

  The robins were out in force.  This chipper young fellow was singing his heart out on the backyard fence Sunday afternoon. This was while ...