Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Mirrors, trips in the night, and the vet visit

 

Ember first discovered the puppy in the mirror on Monday.  But last night after our midnight "outing", she found the mirror pup again.  She played with it, she has sniffed and licked at it, and seems quite interested (until you distract her with something else).

I debated with myself about the transport thing and finally decided to put the crate in the hatch of the car, rather than have her ride in the backseat sling thing that I use for Carl.  She's not used to it, and she's still small enough she could fall off its edge and that would result in havoc while driving.

Safety first!

The vet's office was very nice, and everybody who works there obviously loves animals and seeing a really new puppy is special.  So Ember got lots of oohs and ahhs, but decided the best place to get through this particular new experience was behind mom's jeans-legs.  Shy little one, which was kind of her response, now that I think of it, to both Frank, the adult dog, yesterday, and The Prisoner, so far.  So it might be a part of her personality and how she approaches new things.  Survival skills of a puppy.  We will be watching to see if this trait remains, or if it changes as she grows.

I can report that this little peanut weighs 16 pounds!  She already outweighs The Prisoner!  That puppy shyness may be a blessing for him.

She got her second round of shots this morning, and an appointment for the next... there are four appointments, three weeks apart, for the puppy collection of shots.  And I now have paperwork to take to the Zoom Room.  Rabies and distemper are the big ones, and rabies can't be given until 16 weeks.  And they sent home the flea-tick-heartworm chew.  It's not enough for me to have medicalizing of my own, now I have a canine with a set of veterinarianizing!


Early Wednesday morning, as I pulled my jacket out of the hall closet, Ember pulled one of my older boots out.  She does seem to have the stereotypical affinity for chewing footwear.  And it doesn't matter to her if you are wearing the shoe or not!  One evening as we were getting ready for bed, she went after my stocking feet!  

Patience, consistency, distraction... that's the key.  We don't chew on THAT!  We chew on THIS!

Now that we are settled in at home again, and played a few games, when she got tired of fetching the holey roller, I put her back in the crate and she has settled right down with her baby kong.

Ahhh!  Feeling young yet?  Life is good.  Spark on!


10 comments:

  1. Lucky dog. Lucky hu-mom.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bond is building. I have accumulated about six nicks on my hands teaching that we don't use teeth on people or their clothing. Sigh. But she's such a a darling.

      Delete
  2. Isn’t that just the most entertaining moment when the puppy discovers the pup in the mirror. I remember now Miss Lilly barked when she discovered that! LOVED to play w/that mirror puppy.

    Good choice to put the crate in the hatch. Don’t want Ember to get injured. OR YOU.

    Wow! 16 lobs! She’s going to be a big girl. Awwww, poor baby having to get shots. NO fun. You’ll get used to the veteranizing.

    Glad she likes her baby Kong. Those toys are lifesavers. As are Nylabones.

    Hope it’s a good day for y’all!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wednesday was different due to the vet visit and the worn out puppy. The night (only the fourth) went well and now I have a puppy sleeping on my feet.

      Delete
  3. Baby anything, animal or human, is fun to watch as they make their discovery travels. So sweet!
    Glad you and playful pup had a good day. πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸΆπŸ˜Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking this was a leap of faith and a commitment to rejuvenation. You are so right about having that front row seat to the learning and discovery. Sometimes the little ones teach us a different way to look at the world.

      Delete
  4. Such a sweet girl! Hope the night went well for you both. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is really getting used to the nightly schedule, as am I. Thanks for helping socialize yesterday.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I agree, but then again, I'm very partial. Gaze into those tiny blue eyes, and it's all about the love!

      Delete

Going with the flow

  In the corner of the yard, during Ember's "last call" backyard time on Thursday, The Prisoner crouches on the corner of the ...