Friday, April 5, 2024

Sigh... what's that phrase?

Don't get cocky!  Things go well, and then you try to do "a little bit more" by human standards, forgetting that the priority is the puppy, supervising the puppy!

We make progress, and then we have setbacks, and then we get better again, and do it all over again the next day.  I find the most challenging time of the day is the transition after supper to bedtime.  We'll work on that.

Ember?  I was a bad dog-mom and did not set the little tyke up for success.  If left her on her own, outside of the crate and we had an accident before bed.  Then in an overnight trip outside (we take two), she wasn't able to hold it, and leaked on the stairs on the way to going out.  In another trip, the deck was as far as we made it for the poo.  Anyway, new day begins.  Progress not perfection.

From Thursday afternoon, possibly part of what got mom into "cocky" mode.  "Mom, I was snoozing on your feet under the table, and you got up and moved... are you still there?"

It's Friday!  The two baby gates I ordered are supposed to arrive today.  That will help with some of this.

Friday morning we've already been out in the backyard for Zoomies, which turns out are nicely productive for purposes of potty training.  Oh, boy can she zoom... reminds me a lot of... Carl's puppy zoomies! 

Prisoner came to the door while Ember was playing solo in the living room, and I served him his breakfast on the deck. 

Time to get Mom's breakfast, from which was extracted Ember's first blueberry.  Ember has questions: is this food, or is it a toy?  Mom is just thinking it's a nice distraction for a few moments so she can stir the oats.

After breakfast and zoomies, Ember had a good puppy snooze.  She went into the crate with decent manners so mom could finish cooking, start the dishwasher, check for whether laundry was needed today... and finish up this "morning report" blog!

Life is good!  Especially if you are a puppy full of love to give and receive.  Spark on!






12 comments:

  1. That transition period sounds just like it is dealing with kids! That is a hard time.

    We had baby gates for Miss Lilly and it really did help a lot to get her acclimated to the house w/o giving her the run of the house . . . supervised access to areas.

    Ember is making progress. It is definitely one step forward, a step backwards, and repeat.

    Hope you have a good day w/Ember

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very similar to dealing with human children between supper and bedtime. They are tired but they don't know they are tired.

      The gates came, as advertised, but I have not yet got them out of the boxes. Tomorrow is her first puppy pre-school class.

      Delete
  2. Love is in the air! You are having fun.
    Has anyone suggested puppy pads to circumvent accidents? Chewy and my late Florida dog-niece Lucy were both trained for those as puppies which came in handy in emergencies like snow storms and hurricanes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia has puppy pads for Benji, but I wanted to train her without them. I've never used them before, for any dog... I don't think they were invented yet when we had Diamond, and son didn't use them for Carl. I've seen trainers swear by them, and swear at them, in videos. So... I will see how I do carrying on. I don't want to confuse her... and she's been going to the door today... we'll see what tomorrow brings. No accidents since the poo on the deck, which I'm not going to sweat over.

      I have had a friend recommend a doggy door, since my back yard is fenced. But I'm paranoid, especially now that I've seen her "digger" side. There are spots in my fence where I think she could pull off an escape if they tried!

      So far she has shown no tendency to want to run off, but she's still a baby... we haven't seen those adolescent hormones kick in yet.

      One thing I have to say... it's got ME hopping to it, with fresh purpose. Love this little squirmy bowling ball (she weighs as much as a significant bowling ball). And boy howdy can she fetch!

      Delete
  3. Time and patience will provide success for both you. If she's going to the door in less than a week's time, that sounds like a win/win.
    Poor kitty has gone continental...breakfast dining alfresco.
    πŸ˜ΈπŸΆπŸ€—πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I think the going to the door is as much "I want to go out and visit the cat" as it is needing to go potty. We don't always get results when I respond!

      Progress: Kitty ate his second breakfast on the kitchen counter today... while the puppy was sleeping in her crate, worn out by her first day of preschool!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yay! Sometimes I don't understand why there are lags... but there ARE lags sometimes!

      Delete
  5. You’re doing great! You’ve got this!
    I wish we could live without potty pads, but that doesn’t work for our dog and his humans. Sometimes we are so deep into our books and screens that he decides we’re too busy to bother, and takes care of his needs on a pad. BUT-he’s also fastidious and likes clean and tidy, so after that we may be pestered for a clean up. Yeah, we know who runs our house 🀷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Ember is not at all discriminating about where the accidents happen... this morning before puppy class, we peed in front of the puppy in the mirror. Sigh.

      But she's had a big busy morning and did not even whimper when I put her into the "safe space" for quiet time after class.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet face! She is doing pretty good so far being so new at all of this. Yup, I forever have to remind myself not to get cocky with things. Guess puppy training is the same. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes... it's a good lesson for all of life, that phrase! Ember is zonked in her crate at the moment, giving me a break and I can look at blogs and responses.

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...