Monday, April 1, 2024

No Foolin' Ember is here.

 

Gloria and her granddaughter arrived around 6 p.m. Sunday, with not one, but TWO puppies on board.  Gloria herself is adopting one of Ember's sisters.  The two of them rolled around on the front lawn for a bit while we exchanged "stuff".  Then Gloria and the silver girl headed out, and Ember and I began getting to know one another.  

Before very long, the mythical son and his wife rang the doorbell, and we had a little photo session, as part of the mission to wear Ember out.  "She's so soft," observed my DIL!  My son's comment was about her smooshy loose skin at this stage of life.  She is definitely puppy-puppy!

Later:

The testing time has begun.  It's 9 p.m.  Ember has been sleeping in her crate with a blanket that has her doggie mom's smell on it.  But I just let The Prisoner in.  I can hear Ember whining (she had been quiet for a couple of hours), after she'd been out for the "last call" and gave me a good poo.  I have yet to observe her peeing.

Now she's crying.  I let Prisoner in deliberately while Ember was in the crate to give them the chance to sniff at each other through the air holes.  And I retreated to my room to let them "work it out".

After a bit, I went downstairs to make sure that The Prisoner was not tormenting her.  Nope, he has made himself scarce.  She quieted down enough for me to take her out of the crate for one last trip outside to pee.  

Praised her a lot, put her back in the crate, and am now ignoring the whines because I know she's safe.  When we came back in she started sniffing the cat's chair quite a bit, but I insisted on her going back into the crate.  I will sleep a bit myself before I check again.

The remainder of the overnight story, written in the morning:

Turned out in this case the whines were serious business.  After letting her fuss for quite I while I went down and discovered she needed to go out again, and we did not make it to the door, but at least we got to the tile floor before she poo'd.  Oh, well, mom's getting to know how this one operates, biologically.  Lesson learned.

Took her out about midnight for a middle of the night pee, and at that point, moved the crate up to my bedroom, and settled her for the rest of the night.  Dog TV is good for calming humans to sleep, too!  I woke at my usual time (between 4 and 5), took her out to pee, and put her away again so I could shower.  Boy did I smell like dog!

It's 6:30 now, and we've had another trip outside and some play time and some simple training games before she showed signs of ready to chill out and nap, so back in the crate she is.


With puppy back in the crate and quiet, I let the Prisoner back in (he went out when Ember had her 4:45 wake up trip, and was at the door).  I dished up his wet food breakfast, but because Ember started whining, he wouldn't eat it in his normal spot.  Sigh.

Anyway, just now, he's outside "someplace", and his breakfast is sitting on the deck, in case he decides to come eat it!  I'll check on it before too long, because I don't particularly want the neighborhood foxes to become used to food being available there.

Life is good, perhaps especially when there are challenges?  Spark on, little (soon to become big) Ember says!

18 comments:

  1. Awwww! Welcome Ember! You have lots of humans who love you (and to love) and especially your Hu-Mom!

    Yes, it will be a busy time while Ember trains you. LOL They have a way of doing that.

    Takes time for a routine to be established, but you’re on the road.

    Happy new home, Ember!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hu-mom's creaking body is reminding her that there is a lot of "up" and "down" for the human when dealing with a puppy! So precious, young critters!

      Delete
  2. Sweet photos!

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ember is beautiful and so precious!! The Prisoner will soon figure out their relationship and boundaries…you did warn him! You look so happy in the photo of the 2 of you! Your step count will increase significantly with all of the potty trips LOL! Have fun! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL about the step count... you are right! But at the pace of puppies hunting for "the right spot" it won't increase my cardio!

      Delete
  4. Awe, sorry it wasn’t love at first sight for your furries.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll keep working on it. Prisoner came in for the overnight last night, but did not touch his food. He ALMOST came in this morning after going out, but Ember was raising such a fuss in her crate it scared him off.

      Delete
  5. ❤️❤️❤️ What a great picture of the two of you! I hope you both had a good night’s sleep. Have a great day and remember ibuprofen can work wonders if the creakiness persists. πŸ€—

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... yeah... there are drugs. Never used 'em for aches, but seriously, I'm OK, so far, just slow and a bit creaky. We had a better second night, but crate training is not going well. Ember doesn't like being cooped up, and the human is melted by her little whines. So I let her sleep a few of her naps OUT of the crate during the day, and I'm down to only putting her in when I have to keep her safe, and she's has NOT decided it's the best place in the world... she likes under the couch or the wing chair. But I have to be ready to correct when she goes for the slip covers or to chew on something she's not supposed to. So, even if I don't like it, I still talk to her about how "this is your safe place", put her in, and go do what I have to do... like laundry, or have my own meal, or whatever.

      Next step, getting her to be quiet and not rush the crate door. Oh, and son tells me I'm using too strong a Kong for her puppy teeth, I need a pink or blue puppy one until she loses her milk teeth. Fortunately, I know where to get one!

      Delete
  6. It sounds as if the transition went smoothly, with just a minor hiccup. It won't be long before you both settle into a routine. Great photo. From the size of those paws, it's my guess she won't be a lap baby for very long. πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸΆπŸ˜Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. End of day 3 (second FULL day, mind), we have had a grand total of four "accidents", three of which were liquid, two of which were on the tile, and two, sadly on the old carpet. But this evening, as I was cooking my own dinner, she woke from her nap, came to me and asked to go out... yes! There is definitely a little brain spinning there and she's learning fast.

      And I agree with you about her anticipated adult size. She might end up larger than Carl.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I am. I took my first shopping trip today, leaving her in the crate. I walked into the training place, looking for a baby pink kong for her, and I was grinning ear to ear. Yes, lots of both hard work and fun... face it, those of us who had long careers must LIKE hard work?

      Delete
  8. Oh, she's so cute!!! And you look very happy. I'm excited for you. The good thing about the exhaustingness of training new puppies is that it does not last that long in the scheme of things, and you will have the joy of her companionship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As my daughter in law observed, "she's so soft"... puppy coats! Right now she's in her crate because I have to finish folding the laundry and can't keep my beady eyes on her. It takes a puppy only seconds to go from asleep to in trouble, and I really have not completely denuded the place. I have to watch her every second when she's out.

      Hugs!

      Delete
  9. Serves me right for not checking your blog more frequently, but - CONGRATULATIONS!!! Nothing is as sweet as a fresh squishy puppy! Welcome & felicidades to darling Emmy too; she’s hit the jackpot in the form of a Great Mommy ❤️πŸ’•πŸ₯° !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mommy still has much to learn. Nothing as sweet as fresh, squishy puppy. Nothing as destructive as the demon puppy who has decided you are the chew - tug toy. Un-learning that thought is a priority at this point.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...