Friday, April 19, 2024

Friday!

 

Friday's experiment:  don't wear these shoes any more.  Ember has decided they are her toys.

I changed to another pair of old athletic shoes, instead, one with different laces that can be more easily double-knotted.  Turns out this helped only a little.

For those of you who despaired of my ever getting rid of my Imelda Marcos level collection of old running shoes? Ember is your advocate for down-sizing.

Ember and I went on a practice leash walk on Thursday afternoon.  She seems to be doing very well, not pulling, sniffing everything because everything is so new to her.  I realize this is likely to change as her confidence builds.  But for now, it's another way to get her some physical and mental exercise!

Let's just call this photo "indecision".  Thursday was such a nice day in the afternoon that I slid that door open so that we could come or go.  Ember chose "neither"... let's just lay across the threshold!

She was a little rock star for the A/C annual checkup.  She rolled onto her back and begged for attention from the tech, a young man named Tyson.  I think she would have happily headed home with him, but as is, she's stuck with me.

Bit by bit, the house is becoming increasingly puppy/dog proofed.  Today the shredding machine was moved up to the office, removing another tempting electrical cord.  The boom box got moved to a kitchen counter (higher than its space on a coffee/end table.  The recycle stack is now in the garage.  The DVR got moved to the electronics graveyard in the basement level, and the old paint and flooring materials shifted to the garage.  I think I can now safely invite her into the family room for couch cuddles before bedtime.

Meanwhile, the lower levels of the bookcase in the living room have been cleared, leading to this sequence of photos:

Where's the shelf for "P"






P is for "Puppy", I must belong here!



P is also for "Prisoner", but don't ask me to share a shelf with the puppy!

After the man left, Ember went out for a practice leash walk with mom.  And poo'd and pee'd in her own front yard.  Mom was glad it was in our own yard, as the poo was a bit on the "SoftServe" side.

Life continues to be Good!  Spark on!

10 comments:

  1. As your house becomes more puppy proofed, it becomes emptier. The brain will get plenty of exercise as you play: "now where did I move that to?" Teaching a toddler "no, no" is much easier than teaching pup the same concept. May you find a deep well of patience. πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸΆπŸ˜Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Exactly! Five and a half years ago I was working on de-stuffing the house... Ember is the perfect spur to get that effort re-started!

      Delete
  2. Oh, tsk tsk tsk, Ember. Mom's shoes are NOT toys, but . . . at least she has others to wear, right!

    LOVE your "p for puppy" shelf. You fit on it perfectly.

    You are so lucky you have a Mom who is making your house that you share w/her safe for you. Psst . . . word of advice . . . just continue to let her think it's HER house!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst bit is that she does this to the shoes while my feet are IN them! The good news is that so far, her teeth have not penetrated to the foot!

      Delete
  3. Have you picked a side for her to walk on? I think Benji was trained well to left side, as I rattle my memories. I believe at one time I was teaching him ‘right side walk’ was an option, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not. At this point it is a social exercise, a recognition of the difference between the "house line" and the "big girl leash", which one we wear to go out the front door, etc. Friday afternoon Barnaby came by while we were on one of those practice walks. They managed in their exuberance to tangle everybody up in two leashes. Learning continues.

      Delete
  4. Oh, the picture of Ember morphing into a book is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great ambition for a pup, huh? Stars in my eyes, love in my heart... a dog gives you so much more than you imagine before you have one in your life.

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...